I am convinced Buffalo had its best draft in 25 years

I hope this draft turns out to be strong. We certainly need some impact players. What I like about this group already is that they seem to want to work hard, they are aggressive, and they are smart. We need to start to impose our will on the other teams, especially the better teams. Right now we often beat teams that don't end up making the playoffs and routinely lose to playoff teams. To change that we have to bring a new era of toughness to this team that shows we are going to go toe to toe with the elite teams. For a while at least we won't get calls in our favor and we may have coaching blunders so the players have to find a way to overcome that and refuse to lose. I hope to see Maybin get the key sack and Byrd make the key interception, already this year, and the OL to start to gel as a tough and effective group this year.

If this draft group doesn't have some good impact already in 2009 it could well spell the end of DJ and this era of the Bills.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this draft turns out to be strong. We certainly need some impact players. What I like about this group already is that they seem to want to work hard, they are aggressive, and they are smart. We need to start to impose our will on the other teams, especially the better teams. Right now we often beat teams that don't end up making the playoffs and routinely lose to playoff teams. To change that we have to bring a new era of toughness to this team that shows we are going to go toe to toe with the elite teams. For a while at least we won't get calls in our favor and we may have coaching blunders so the players have to find a way to overcome that and refuse to lose. I hope to see Maybin get the key sack and Byrd make the key interception, already this year, and the OL to start to gel as a tough and effective group this year.

If this draft group doesn't have some good impact already in 2009 it could well spell the end of DJ and this era of the Bills.

Completely agree.......

Maybe the Bills never intended to move Whitner. They only said that to throw people off. Then went out and got arguably one of the best safeties in the draft???? Just a thought.

h

that might be true if Byrd had actually played a down at S in college.

he is a slow CB who needs to switch positions to hopefully use his ball skills at FS.

if he starts at FS game 1, the Bills will set new records for how far off the line they play their safeties.

he is a slow CB who needs to switch positions to hopefully use his ball skills at FS.

if he starts at FS game 1, the Bills will set new records for how far off the line they play their safeties.

They keep record of that?

Any knowledgeable football fan can understand that you dont draft a guy high in the second round at a position that you plan on moving your high priced SS to when you have other holes that need to be filled

this team is still weak at DE and with Schobel a question mark coming back from injury and their overall weak pass rush Everette Brown would have been the better pick and a steal in the second round

I would have been o.k. with them taking E. Brown with their first pick. I'm only a guy at home, but what I viewed of him on the internet and television, he seemed the best all around defensive end in the draft. Obviously the NFL teams and coaches saw a lot that I didn't, or vice versa, but after watching him drop to us in the second, I couldn't believe we didn't grab him, especially after seeing what the Giants did to New England with a great pass rush. I have to think that the Bills were thinking they needed a Sanders type safety to create turnovers, and if he ends up that good - Byrd - or even one of the better safeties, I think he makes the rest of the secondary better, too. But, then again, a great pass rush usually makes the secondary better as well. E. Brown was the one guy I wanted us to get more than any other, but that aside, I still loved this draft.

I agree, however no matter how things play out this year. I feel that the very same players that you pointed out to start will all be starters by next season. IMO that makes this a pretty darn good draft. Some can say its because they are replacing crap and they are not that good themselves. I disagree. Time will tell. Unfortunately we will not know how great or busty this draft was for at least 2 or 3 years.

:pirate:

Guest dog14787
I think Shawn Nelson will be even better than he was in college, since many of Nelson's catches were on badly thrown balls. I have never seen so many times where a receiver was so mis-led.

It is quite possible that, within a year, 6 starters will come from this one draft.

Can't wait to see Shawn Nelson on the football field with TE throwing to him in a real game, and Solid draft.

What scares me is that our GM is a marketing geek (apologies to marketing geeks). Our drafted players all seemed to say the right things upon being drafted by the Bills. What if they are our usual loser picks with a script?

I wont be happy until Maybin/Byrd prove to ME (not anyone else) that they are better than Orakpo/Brown. I would have liked to these those latter two players drafted as I believe they will be better than the two we selected (I would love to be wrong here). Other than that I loved it. We got two of the best interior OL guys, a great pass catching TE, and my personal favorite... Nic Harris. I was high on him for ever and couldn't believe the Bills went for him. In a perfect world I would have made a play to acquire Duke Robinson to add to our OL depth in the 5th rather than two more CBs in 6 and 7.

I wont be happy until Maybin/Byrd prove to ME (not anyone else) that they are better than Orakpo/Brown. I would have liked to these those latter two players drafted as I believe they will be better than the two we selected (I would love to be wrong here). Other than that I loved it. We got two of the best interior OL guys, a great pass catching TE, and my personal favorite... Nic Harris. I was high on him for ever and couldn't believe the Bills went for him. In a perfect world I would have made a play to acquire Duke Robinson to add to our OL depth in the 5th rather than two more CBs in 6 and 7.

Got to tell you, I wanted Orakpo but he does not have that first step to beat an NFL Tackle.

Not going to lose any sleep over it though.....

WE WILL SEE

I agree, those 6 rookies could actually all be starting before this season is over. However, that does not make the Bills an automatic playoff team. It makes them a team that might need 6 rookies to start.

In today's NFL, every season is a new "era" for all 32 teams. With free agency and the salary cap, teams like the Dolphins go from 1-15-0 to 11-5-0 over one off season! Will Detroit go from 0-16-0 to 9-7-0 over this past off season? Of course nobody thinks so, but who thought Miami would make a 10 game improvement from one season to the next last year? Not me!

So if you have a team that has room for 6 rookies to come in and start, what does that say about your personnel?? What does that say about your use of the salary cap and free agency? To me, it says you are not taking advantage of the system. To me, it says you have too many spots on your roster that could be filled by quality veterans re-signed to new contracts already on your team, or filled by quality veteran free agents signed from other teams, that instead need to be filled by high-quality rookies. And those rookies may be as good as you say they are. But they cannot be as good as veterans, and they all need to be super-good for the Bills to make the playoffs this season, while they are rookies.

:thumbsup:

I remember how the 2006 draft was heralded as a great one shortly after the season conluded. The story was that so many of the selections played in their rookie season, hence it was a great draft. Unfortunately, many of those players were not long term options and merely fill-ins until better players could be found.

Either way, depending season after season on rookies is not a reliable means of improvement. Buffalo's done that each season since 06 and it's not working. I'd argue that rookies are cheaper and easier to hype simply because they're new. The downside is they've got zero NFL experience and learning on the job will hinder the team's playoff chances. Everyone assumes they'll understand the game quickly, but it normally takes several games and the Bills don't have that. They need to win from Day 1 given their divisional opponents and strength of schedule

I believe Donte's contract runs out at the end of this season. We might see Byrd and Scott as our 2010 safeties.

I think muddle is onto something here....the drafting of Byrd might have more to do with Whitner's contract status then we think.

what a shock!!!

The Bills wasting another premium pick on an DB who they will let walk after his 1st contract.

At least this time the DB isn't a stud whose loss will hurt