How much time do fans have to see the Bills in the playoffs again?

LGB

2009 could be a make or break year for Jauron, Edwards and maybe the Bills…

Yes, it has been well documented that another 7-9 season would mean the end for DJ.

Trent Edwards, entering his third year, presumably has had the training wheels removed and should be ready to roll.

Failure to make the playoffs this year will likely mean a coaching transition that results in a probable year or two of rebuilding with new starters being selected by the new coach. New coaches have a history of cleaning house and like to put “their own guys” on the team.

As time ticks on, where does that leave fans interested in seeing their beloved Bills in the playoffs?

Maybe more importantly in three years, is the question of whether the Bills remain in WNY? The Bills have only three years remaining on their current lease and could terminate at any time before that.

The problem for Bills fans is that there is no clear transition of ownership when RW departs and built in 1973, Ralph Wilson Stadium is a dinosaur NFL venue. Any new owner would likely be interested in a sweet deal from taxpayers for a new stadium. Given the state of the economy and the circus that the state government has become, this could be the worst time for Bills fans to try and keep their team in Buffalo.

Let’s hope that 2009 is the year to return to the playoffs and for DJ and the Bills, that means winning in the AFC East – something that this coaching staff was not able to do once last year. Let's hope that every 2009 game is played like a playoff birth depends on it.

Yes, it has been well documented that another 7-9 season would mean the end for DJ.

Trent Edwards, entering his third year, presumably has had the training wheels removed and should be ready to roll.

Failure to make the playoffs this year will likely mean a coaching transition that results in a probable year or two of rebuilding with new starters being selected by the new coach. New coaches have a history of cleaning house and like to put “their own guys” on the team.

As time ticks on, where does that leave fans interested in seeing their beloved Bills in the playoffs?

Maybe more importantly in three years, is the question of whether the Bills remain in WNY? The Bills have only three years remaining on their current lease and could terminate at any time before that.

The problem for Bills fans is that there is no clear transition of ownership when RW departs and built in 1973, Ralph Wilson Stadium is a dinosaur NFL venue. Any new owner would likely be interested in a sweet deal from taxpayers for a new stadium. Given the state of the economy and the circus that the state government has become, this could be the worst time for Bills fans to try and keep their team in Buffalo.

Let’s hope that 2009 is the year to return to the playoffs and for DJ and the Bills, that means winning in the AFC East – something that this coaching staff was not able to do once last year. Let's hope that every 2009 game is played like a playoff birth depends on it.

I think everybody is well aware of the situation a**hole. Another troll trying to stir the pot early this morning. Take your f*cking bullsh*t & get the f*ck out of here d*ckhead.

My father went to Bills games starting in 1963. I went to my 1st game in 1967. Don't think I am going to lose interest anytime soon.

The topics of after Ralph and the stadium being old have been discussed many times before.

Taken from another post I made on another topic but it explains what being a fan is about

Thats exactly what makes sports great. You stick with one team through the good and the bad and one day when your team wins a title it all becomes worth it.

A Lot of my friends are Giants fans (I live in NJ) through and through even when they went 4-12 before the got Eli Manning they stuck up for their team. And when the won the Super Bowl last year they were the ones who got the most joy out of it. No not the girlfriends who were only there because the Giants were in the Big game it was the true fan who put up the bad in order to truly experience the satisfaction of the win that got the most out of that victory.

When the Bills make the playoffs its going to be so sweet why because I had to put up with so much to get there. You also put yourself up for so much dissapointment when they fall short but its having that be on line that makes the win more and more special. Sports are the ultimate reality show its real unscripted and anything can happen wither it be an entertaining game or a blowout. Its even more raw emotionally than a Broadway play because in a play odds are you replicate it over and over again in a game you only play it once and that circumstance can never be repeated.

So when the Bills make the playoffs that day will be really sweet and when they win the Super Bowl (God willing) that day is going to be one of the best days ever. Thats why we follow the team through thick and thin because you can't enjoy the sunny days without a few rainy ones. Now its OK to be critical of the Bills moves but never ever change your team once you hit 10 years old and you are a fan you are a fan for life. If you switch teams or are a fan of two teams in the same sport you are a phony no doubt about it.

Taken from another post I made on another topic but it explains what being a fan is about

Thats exactly what makes sports great. You stick with one team through the good and the bad and one day when your team wins a title it all becomes worth it.

A Lot of my friends are Giants fans (I live in NJ) through and through even when they went 4-12 before the got Eli Manning they stuck up for their team. And when the won the Super Bowl last year they were the ones who got the most joy out of it. No not the girlfriends who were only there because the Giants were in the Big game it was the true fan who put up the bad in order to truly experience the satisfaction of the win that got the most out of that victory.

When the Bills make the playoffs its going to be so sweet why because I had to put up with so much to get there. You also put yourself up for so much dissapointment when they fall short but its having that be on line that makes the win more and more special. Sports are the ultimate reality show its real unscripted and anything can happen wither it be an entertaining game or a blowout. Its even more raw emotionally than a Broadway play because in a play odds are you replicate it over and over again in a game you only play it once and that circumstance can never be repeated.

So when the Bills make the playoffs that day will be really sweet and when they win the Super Bowl (God willing) that day is going to be one of the best days ever. Thats why we follow the team through thick and thin because you can't enjoy the sunny days without a few rainy ones. Now its OK to be critical of the Bills moves but never ever change your team once you hit 10 years old and you are a fan you are a fan for life. If you switch teams or are a fan of two teams in the same sport you are a phony no doubt about it.

It will be great to see the Bills back in the playoffs and since it has been about ten years since that has happened, there are many younger WNY fans that have not experienced that yet. When I was a kid, I attended my first season ticket game in 1978. So I have seen the good and the bad and the problem that I have with DJ is there does not seem to be the sense of urgency that you might like to see for a team that has the goal of making the playoffs. Maybe that will change this year - at least let's hope so.

All the troll accusers and Bills marketing kool-aid drinkers/apologists can say what they want, but not being able to win one game in the AFC East or formulate a sucessful game plan - or make game day changes to that plan while managing the clock is not going to get you back into the playoffs. A little more killer attitude instead of playing not to lose might be nice to see for a change of pace. You can choose to read on not read what is posted, just like you can be content with 7-9 year after year or voice your concerns. Some people are happy with the status quo and that is great for those folks. For other fans, ending the season over .500 and having a chance to gain a spot in the playoffs after ten years should not be too much to wish for.

if it wouldnt go to the patriots...id say the giants need to give that SB trophy back

2009 could be a make or break year for Jauron

wasnt last year a make or break year for Jauron as well?

People need to get used to the idea of Jauron as head coach because as long as the Bills are even remotely competitive he isnt going anywhere after this year either

It will be great to see the Bills back in the playoffs and since it has been about ten years since that has happened, there are many younger WNY fans that have not experienced that yet. When I was a kid, I attended my first season ticket game in 1978. So I have seen the good and the bad and the problem that I have with DJ is there does not seem to be the sense of urgency that you might like to see for a team that has the goal of making the playoffs. Maybe that will change this year - at least let's hope so.

All the troll accusers and Bills marketing kool-aid drinkers/apologists can say what they want, but not being able to win one game in the AFC East or formulate a sucessful game plan - or make game day changes to that plan while managing the clock is not going to get you back into the playoffs. A little more killer attitude instead of playing not to lose might be nice to see for a change of pace. You can choose to read on not read what is posted, just like you can be content with 7-9 year after year or voice your concerns. Some people are happy with the status quo and that is great for those folks. For other fans, ending the season over .500 and having a chance to gain a spot in the playoffs after ten years should not be too much to wish for.

So are you going to change your team because your franchise is having trouble competing? My point is you are a fan you can't change your team because they are stuck in a below average decade. Sure they make bad moves and their coaching stinks but they are your team and you root for them no matter what.

We all complain how Ralph is cheap but he isn't a bad owner. The Chicago Blackhawks owner actually blacked out his own teams home games so people had to go to see them. Than the Blackhawks owner said winning a Stanly Cup is too expensive. Well that guy died and now the Blackhawks are good and the fans are happy.

Those fans had a legitimate gripe with their team. Ralph might not spend too much money but he doesn't black out home games and he fields a small market team so he at least has a reason to be money conscious (Unlike a team that plays in Chicago). So yeah if I had to put the odds of the Bills making the playoffs it would be below 50%. But I will be watching every Sunday and hoping against hope.

And when the Bills make bad moves I will be on this board moaning and groaning. But I will never as long as the Bills play in Buffalo ever turn my back on this franchise. That is why being a fan isn't easy but it all becomes worth it when your team has success.

:thumbsup: Great post. Well said, and you make excellent points saying it.

The best point you make is the sad pathetic "state" of NY State politics. But as long as Ralph Wilson is alive and able to function as owner, he is not about to break the lease before the last 3 years are up. However, that said, Ralph will be going on 94 years old when the lease is up, and his health, if he is still with us, should be a huge issue then.

So yes, this would be the best season for the Bills to break out and make the playoffs, and maybe even win a playoff game! That way, the DJ go-round can stop, we can take a deep breath and get behind him to take the next steps towards getting back to our 5th SB, perhaps during the last season of the lease.

Here's the worst thing that could happen. If DJ turns in a 4th consecutive 7-9-0 season or worse, and gets fired, Ralph Wilson at his age is not about to bring in a Bill Parcells type football man to turn it all around in one season. He should be willing to do just that at his age of course. But living into your 90's does not automatically mean you will change your entire personality. Wilson "put up" with Polian for 7 years because Polian brought in the most talented players and put together the most talented teams in Bills history. Then Wilson tried out Donahoe, and that failed miserably. I think Ralph is under the current philosophy that he will make the final decisions until he can no longer make them.

How much time do the Bills have to get back to the playoffs? The Good Lord only knows...literally. :w00t:

So are you going to change your team because your franchise is having trouble competing? My point is you are a fan you can't change your team because they are stuck in a below average decade. Sure they make bad moves and their coaching stinks but they are your team and you root for them no matter what.

We all complain how Ralph is cheap but he isn't a bad owner. The Chicago Blackhawks owner actually blacked out his own teams home games so people had to go to see them. Than the Blackhawks owner said winning a Stanly Cup is too expensive. Well that guy died and now the Blackhawks are good and the fans are happy.

Those fans had a legitimate gripe with their team. Ralph might not spend too much money but he doesn't black out home games and he fields a small market team so he at least has a reason to be money conscious (Unlike a team that plays in Chicago). So yeah if I had to put the odds of the Bills making the playoffs it would be below 50%. But I will be watching every Sunday and hoping against hope.

And when the Bills make bad moves I will be on this board moaning and groaning. But I will never as long as the Bills play in Buffalo ever turn my back on this franchise. That is why being a fan isn't easy but it all becomes worth it when your team has success.

have always supported the Bills...my Grandpa used to tell me stories about the games at the Rockpile...he and my Dad and now my kids - hoping to see the playoffs again :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Great post. Well said, and you make excellent points saying it.

The best point you make is the sad pathetic "state" of NY State politics. But as long as Ralph Wilson is alive and able to function as owner, he is not about to break the lease before the last 3 years are up. However, that said, Ralph will be going on 94 years old when the lease is up, and his health, if he is still with us, should be a huge issue then.

So yes, this would be the best season for the Bills to break out and make the playoffs, and maybe even win a playoff game! That way, the DJ go-round can stop, we can take a deep breath and get behind him to take the next steps towards getting back to our 5th SB, perhaps during the last season of the lease.

Here's the worst thing that could happen. If DJ turns in a 4th consecutive 7-9-0 season or worse, and gets fired, Ralph Wilson at his age is not about to bring in a Bill Parcells type football man to turn it all around in one season. He should be willing to do just that at his age of course. But living into your 90's does not automatically mean you will change your entire personality. Wilson "put up" with Polian for 7 years because Polian brought in the most talented players and put together the most talented teams in Bills history. Then Wilson tried out Donahoe, and that failed miserably. I think Ralph is under the current philosophy that he will make the final decisions until he can no longer make them.

How much time do the Bills have to get back to the playoffs? The Good Lord only knows...literally. :w00t:

thanks...it seems likely something along those lines might happen in three years - unless the Bills somehow commit to staying in the area...like maybe the best thing that could happen is that the team improves, attracting interest from some buyers and RW decides to sell the Bills on the condition that the team stays in WNY :P hopefully, a win-win for everyone...

thanks...it seems likely something along those lines might happen in three years - unless the Bills somehow commit to staying in the area...like maybe the best thing that could happen is that the team improves, attracting interest from some buyers and RW decides to sell the Bills on the condition that the team stays in WNY :thumbsup: hopefully, a win-win for everyone...

With the current state of the economy, it would be more profitable to stay in WNY than to move somewhere else.

Great Post. I just have one disagreement with you. I am 1st & formost a Bills fan, but I am also a Big fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers & I am no phony. I moved to Fla in1984. There were no sports bars to watch games at & no internet to read about your favorite team. I got to see the Bills twice a year when they played Miami & that is it, they were NEVER on Monday night football at the time because they stunk. In the newspaper if they didn't play Miami there was a sentence or two & that is it. If I wanted to follow a team, I had 2 choices the Fins which I could NEVER be a fan of, or the Bucs a terrible team in 1984 & for many years to come, but the team I chose.

Great Post. I just have one disagreement with you. I am 1st & formost a Bills fan, but I am also a Big fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers & I am no phony. I moved to Fla in1984. There were no sports bars to watch games at & no internet to read about your favorite team. I got to see the Bills twice a year when they played Miami & that is it, they were NEVER on Monday night football at the time because they stunk. In the newspaper if they didn't play Miami there was a sentence or two & that is it. If I wanted to follow a team, I had 2 choices the Fins which I could NEVER be a fan of, or the Bucs a terrible team in 1984 & for many years to come, but the team I chose.

Well as long as you recognize that the Bills are your number 1 team and that Tampa is a team you root for but they will always be your second team than I can say you aren't a phony. I directed that towards people who say they root for two teams equally. You can't say you are a fan of the Jets and Giants (in fact if you have two teams in a city and you are a fan of one you are obligated to hate and root against the other team) because you just can't have it both ways.

If one team loses you can't just hop the fence to the other. Simply put you can't pick a few teams and root out of convince.

Well as long as you recognize that the Bills are your number 1 team and that Tampa is a team you root for but they will always be your second team than I can say you aren't a phony. I directed that towards people who say they root for two teams equally. You can't say you are a fan of the Jets and Giants (in fact if you have two teams in a city and you are a fan of one you are obligated to hate and root against the other team) because you just can't have it both ways.

If one team loses you can't just hop the fence to the other. Simply put you can't pick a few teams and root out of convince.

If anyone has been to Miami for a Bills game, it seems like there is almost as many Bills fans as Fins fans that attend games. But then there were a ton of Miami fans in Toronto last year when the Bills lost 16-3...for one of our "home" games (wonder how many Jets fans there will be this year at Rogers?)

thanks...it seems likely something along those lines might happen in three years - unless the Bills somehow commit to staying in the area...like maybe the best thing that could happen is that the team improves, attracting interest from some buyers and RW decides to sell the Bills on the condition that the team stays in WNY :P hopefully, a win-win for everyone...

Ralph Wilson has made it concretely clear that the team is going on the auction block once he passes. He has also made it clear that he is not going sell the team as long as he is alive. Our grizzly owner has also made it abundently clear to Jim Kelly and others that he doesn't want to hear any talk about him selling the team (to locals or not) while he is alive.

This is the same classless owner who ridiculed the region (western NY) when he signed the sweetheart deal to play some games in Toronto. Ralph Wilson, to his credit, has not hidden the fact that the team is going to be sold to the HIGHEST bidder (clearly stated in his will). Will the new prospective owner keep the team in western NY? He doesn't care. He will be dead. All that he cares about is that his estate receives the maximum amount of money for the sold off franchise.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but the Bills have as much chance in making the playoffs this upcoming season as a western NY snowball has in surviving in an Arizona desert during the summer. The Bills have been dismal for a decade. The same front office and personnel staff are in place. The person who is the acting GM (Russ Brandon) has a background in marketing, not football. How laughable is that? An indication of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome!

Being a Bills fan doesn't mean that one has to be delusional. If facing the facts and reality is too difficult for some people, then that is their problem. They need to sober up. :thumbsup::w00t: