What happens to the Sabres when FA hits tomorrow?

ans4e64

I'm kind of disappointed the Sabres didn't get a deal done with Stafford and/or Sekera before the start of free agency. I think we do have a little money to spend wisely, but that will all go when another team signs Stafford to a bigger contract and we're forced to match. I believe a team can offer Drew $2.5 mil a year and it only garners a 2nd round pick as compensation. You can't lose Stafford for a 2nd rounder, you've got to match.

Darcy made it clear they were not attempting to get Drew signed before the start of free agency. I think he's hoping he'll sign him for less, but I really doubt that's going to happen. Stafford is a 23 year old winger, that has the size and talent, was a former 1st round pick, and has shown flashes of his great potential potential. I highly doubt Stafford will not attract attention from teams around the league.

I think any small amount of money we had to spend will likely have to be used to match offers to keep Stafford and/or Sekera away from other teams.

Hopefully we can move a few guys off our squad to get some cap relief, such as Tallinder and Hecht, but I'm not holding out any hope. Darcy said they haven't found the right deal yet, but I'm not sure why. If you can even find teams willing to take their salaries, why wouldn't you basically give them away? The only thing they add to this franchise is a headache and cap constraint. That money could be used elsewhere.

What do you think happens?

I'm thinking that we lose Spacek or have to grossly over pay him to keep him as some team out there is going to offer him a boat load of cash because they can. Sekera I doubt anyone goes after. As long as no one offers Stafford anything overly outrageous I think it will be like the Vanek situation a few years ago. Give an offer, wait to see who offers what and then match it.

I'm thinking that we lose Spacek or have to grossly over pay him to keep him as some team out there is going to offer him a boat load of cash because they can. Sekera I doubt anyone goes after. As long as no one offers Stafford anything overly outrageous I think it will be like the Vanek situation a few years ago. Give an offer, wait to see who offers what and then match it.

The reason I include Sekera is because he's young, cheap, and has potential. What would it hurt for a team to take a shot at him and barely having to give up any compensation?

The reason I include Sekera is because he's young, cheap, and has potential. What would it hurt for a team to take a shot at him and barely having to give up any compensation?

I don't see much loss if sekera is taken. The Sabres have a bunch of guys like him waiting in the AHL.

I don't see much loss if sekera is taken. The Sabres have a bunch of guys like him waiting in the AHL.

Like who?

We have defensmen, but no real puck moving defensmen with the mobility Sekera has. He has good potential.

Anyone that fits that mold will be a first year pro this year (and maybe Gragnani). The mobile, puck moving defensemen usually take longer to develop, so those guys aren't ready. At least Sekera's got some years under his belt. Just look how long it too Campbell to develop. Nothing would be gained by rushing a Brennan or Scheistel.

It's really not a major issue though. No one is going to try to poach Sekera.

I'm kind of disappointed the Sabres didn't get a deal done with Stafford and/or Sekera before the start of free agency.

What do you think happens?

Offer sheets have been pretty rare so far.

There is a lot of comparable talent on the UFA market that teams can sign without giving up draft assets.

You could sign Peter Sykora for similar money to what it would take to get Stafford and not lose a pick, or in the case of Sekara ...Martin Skoula...

I'm not too worried.

Weber or Butler I think would be just as good...waiting for the bottles and cans to be thrown at me...However, like shrader said, I don't see anyone chomping at the bit to grab him from us.

Since they were all tendered qualifying offers, don't the Sabres get a boatload of picks (4 #1's I think) if a team signs an RFA? Edmonton tried that crap with Vanek. I doubt anyone would do it for Soafford or Sekera.

PTR

Since they were all tendered qualifying offers, don't the Sabres get a boatload of picks (4 #1's I think) if a team signs an RFA? Edmonton tried that crap with Vanek. I doubt anyone would do it for Soafford or Sekera.

PTR

Depends on the value of the contract.

What he is talking about is a middle to low offer - 2nd round pick.

Can you explain the RFA rules for players of that level to me?

PTR

Last year's compensation table...not sure about this year's...

$863,156 or less None

$863,156 - $1,307,811 3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more Four 1st round picks (which was the Vanek offer)

Can you explain the RFA rules for players of that level to me?

PTR

The amount of compensation owed depends on the contract value offered by the team trying to poach your player. Only the high contracts will bring 4 1sts in return, like Vanek's 7 million per season. A mid range offer in the 1-2 millon per year will bring in a 2nd rounder.

The amount of compensation owed depends on the contract value offered by the team trying to poach your player. Only the high contracts will bring 4 1sts in return, like Vanek's 7 million per season. A mid range offer in the 1-2 millon per year will bring in a 2nd rounder.

Right, its a little different the how the NFL RFA system works where compensation is dictated by the value of the original teams offersheet.