Shawn Nelson Not Likely To Start At TE

H2o

My thinking is that the best way to take down a guy of Nelson's size is to have a linebacker going low on him as he comes out of his break. You don't want that size and speed getting turned upfield. As such, what's the solution? Throw the damn ball behind the LBs about 8' high. Nelson would barely have to raise his arms. Getting Nelson behind the LBs into the secondary is a horrible prospect for a 5' 10" SS or CB. The arms alone on that guy would keep a DB from getting to the body, leaving the DB trying to arm tackle while giving up about 50 pounds. Not a good deal. It would be like a chipmunk taking down a giraffe. I guess it's possible, but my money's on the giraffe.

So what's his real value? Run that play once, maybe twice. Every time he's on the field thereafter, you'll watch the LB backpedalling as fast as he can move (sorry - side note. Delicious visual. Tedy Bruschi backpedalling over and over in a no-huddle offense. He'll have his name on a brass plaque on the cart by the end of the game.). THAT'S where you run the damn ball.

Man, I'm spending way too much time thinking about this schit.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...09-1b7d5037a7fb

I understand them doing this to help his route running, but it won't lighten up the coverage on the outside if he's not coming off the line of scrimmage with a LB or a S covering him. I think we are pretty stacked at WR right now.

Damn it. I just knew Nelson would not run those routes and pass block as perfectly as the worst coaches in all of sports would force him to do. Don't worry, but the end of training camp he will piss those coaches off so badly by not understanding their 2,000 page playbook, he will be buried on the bench just like Hardy was last season.

:):unsure:

He's not moving to WR, he's practicing with them.

The Bills know his greatest asset to our offense this year is his passing game ability. They are just trying to maximize that right now. He's still going to create mismatches lined up in the slot.

..And our greatest weakness is our ability to pass block. That TE had better spend more time learning to pass block or he can run his routes perfectly til hell freezes over and then turn around and help pick the quarterback up.

Geez...what is this tight end thinking?

Owens 6'3", Hardy 6'5", Nelson 6'5", FJ in the RB position and Evans quicker than a jackrabbit with a jetpack! Have fun opposing D's! :unsure:

All that will work, only if the 5 guys in front of Edwards give him enough time to make the throw.

..And our greatest weakness is our ability to pass block. That TE had better spend more time learning to pass block or he can run his routes perfectly til hell freezes over and then turn around and help pick the quarterback up.

He's not the starting TE, he will only come in on certain situations, which is the point of this thread.

He will not hurt us in pass blocking because he will not be on the field doing pass blocking...

Not meaning to get too far off the topic of the thread, but I would respectfully argue that the Bills' pass-blocking is...well, passable (no pun intended). Not great, but an improvement over two years ago (Peters being the exception). The problem with the passing game is that it's been too simplistic for too long - roll an extra safety over to Evans, put your feet up, and relax.

It's the run-blocking that is just terrible, particularly on the right side. Just God-awful.

Carry on.

He's not the starting TE, he will only come in on certain situations, which is the point of this thread.

He will not hurt is in pass blocking because he will not be on the field doing pass blocking...

If we aren't pass blocking he won't be on the field at all. I'd put my money on the blocking tight end to get almost all the work.

Trying to learn blocking schemes in a no-contact OTA environment is not the best use of his time. Learn the pass routes with the WRs and wait til camp to worry about blocking.

Exactly, I don't understand why all the TE's aren't just working with the WR's in OTA's. They should already know their assignments mentally and if they can't actually hit people, what's the point in doing drills on blocking? I think they should all be working on the non-contact part of their games during OTA's. Hopefully during Training Camp we'll see Nelson and co doing the OL drills where they can hit each other.

My thinking is that the best way to take down a guy of Nelson's size is to have a linebacker going low on him as he comes out of his break. You don't want that size and speed getting turned upfield. As such, what's the solution? Throw the damn ball behind the LBs about 8' high. Nelson would barely have to raise his arms. Getting Nelson behind the LBs into the secondary is a horrible prospect for a 5' 10" SS or CB. The arms alone on that guy would keep a DB from getting to the body, leaving the DB trying to arm tackle while giving up about 50 pounds. Not a good deal. It would be like a chipmunk taking down a giraffe. I guess it's possible, but my money's on the giraffe.

So what's his real value? Run that play once, maybe twice. Every time he's on the field thereafter, you'll watch the LB backpedalling as fast as he can move (sorry - side note. Delicious visual. Tedy Bruschi backpedalling over and over in a no-huddle offense. He'll have his name on a brass plaque on the cart by the end of the game.). THAT'S where you run the damn ball.

Man, I'm spending way too much time thinking about this schit.

Then: Hardy, Owens, Evans and Jackson are open.