Uncle Dick was Right!

Iraqis finally figure it out. Of course they're dancing because we're leaving but...they're dancing.

You must have missed this from the same article.

"Without the Americans, we were afraid of each other," said Hanaa Abdul Hassan, a Baghdad resident. "And now that the Americans are leaving, we will be more afraid. We knew the Americans were holding them back, so now I don't know what's going to happen," she said, without specifying who "they" were.

And it's our job to police the world with blood and treasure? Have you donated your savings beyond your tax obligations and given your life to do so?

It is when you invade a soverign nation and topple their government.

As Americans pull out Iraq celebrates!!!

Iraqis welcomed the Tuesday deadline for American troops to leave their towns and cities with a street festival in Baghdad, though fears of renewed violence tempered celebrations of what their government called "National Sovereignty Day."

"I feel the same way as any Iraqi feels -- I will feel my freedom and liberation when I don't see an American stopping an Iraqi on the street," said Awatef Jwad of Baghdad.

Now they feel that they are liberated. Not before.

As Americans pull out Iraq celebrates!!!

Iraqis welcomed the Tuesday deadline for American troops to leave their towns and cities with a street festival in Baghdad, though fears of renewed violence tempered celebrations of what their government called "National Sovereignty Day."

"I feel the same way as any Iraqi feels -- I will feel my freedom and liberation when I don't see an American stopping an Iraqi on the street," said Awatef Jwad of Baghdad.

Now they feel that they are liberated. Not before.

Life was so good for the citizens of Iraq, back in the days of Sadaam.

It use to be the good times, yes the good times....

Life was so good for the citizens of Iraq, back in the days of Sadaam.

It use to be the good times, yes the good times....

No one said it was good times. But the simple truth is that they went from being under the control of a Stalinist dictator, to under the power of a foreign occupier, to...

...still under the control of a foreign occupier, actually.

No one said it was good times. But the simple truth is that they went from being under the control of a Stalinist dictator, to under the power of a foreign occupier, to...

...still under the control of a foreign occupier, actually.

Let me ask you this, supposing that Iraq finds some meaningful sort of stability in the next 5-10 years, enjoys some prosperity through their oil revenues and other contracts that they are able to enjoy today with their new trading partners, in the whole scheme of things, would you consider the citizens of Iraq and for that matter the rest of middle east and world to be better off than if Sadaam was still there?

Do you believe it was our intention to remain occupiers of Iraq? Don't you think that we wanted to be able to leave Iraq as soon as we reasonably could, considering all the instability and de facto influences that are mettling in that country? Could we really have afforded to have left sooner than what we are doing right now?

In regards to should we have entered in Iraq in the first place? Well, in retrospect it looks like we were wrong considering the pretext to the war was false. But from what I remember, parties from both sides of the Aisle accepted the intelligence that was provided to us from the CIA and military, and considering the levels of paranoia that Americans were going through at that time, and how the public had demanded that our government keep us safe, it was understandable. I'm not saying it was right, but understandable.

Let me ask you this, supposing that Iraq finds some meaningful sort of stability in the next 5-10 years, enjoys some prosperity through their oil revenues and other contracts that they are able to enjoy today with their new trading partners, in the whole scheme of things, would you consider the citizens of Iraq and for that matter the rest of middle east and world to be better off than if Sadaam was still there?

"Better off"? Or "liberated"? It should be pretty much unquestionable that the Iraqis (the world, really) are better off without Hussein...but "better off" is not what I said, is it? The fact is, they're still an occupied country, not a liberated one.

Good question, then why did we bother going in to Iraq in the first place.... The terrorists were in Afghanistan and still are.

Lots of reasons, none of them very good. Among them: a finding that said terrarists with WMDs were the gravest threat to national security, and Iraq supported terrorism and had WMD programs, hence were part of the GWOT; and that the continuing situation w/r/t Hussein's intransigance towards the UN and world opinion was not only destabilizing in itself but required an extended deployment of US power to the region, which was further destabilizing and to a large degree creating the terrorist problem we're facing.

There is something to be said for that second point: lancing a festering boil is not necessarily a bad thing, and there's few people who disagreed that something had to be done about Saddam (and the fact that Bush managed to align world opinion in support of a murderous dictator that everyone wanted gone shows how ill-thought-out the whole policy was). The first point is faintly laughable: it's logical, but then so is sending the Nationals' bullpen down to AAA en masse.