Typical T.O. tactics: "I'll be the scapegoat."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're reading WAY too far into what he said. It's quite obvious you have something against T.O. that is severely clouding your interpretation of what he says. And even though his quote defines the meaning of scapegoat for you, you should probably look it up anyways.

Gee, sir. You are so wise and clever. If only I could some day hope to be as intelligent and just generally all-around terrific as you. You make being condescending look so easy, as if you don't really have to understand what you're talking about to do it. Gotta love that.

If any other player in the NFL not named T.O. says this, no one says a thing. You clearly have issues with him, so your filters make this appear to seem like a negative statement.

T.O. is getting the Dennis Rodman treatment...Dennis Rodman would get a technical foul if he farted on the court because he was Dennis Rodman...T.O. has the same problem that because he is T.O. every statement, no matter how minor, gets manipulated to be some kind of team killer or selfish comment when most the time he is just answering a question honestly and more often than not everyone agrees with his answer. Like in this case, its no secret Romo hasnt stepped up as a leader on that team...

No, this is a story no matter who says it, but obviously a much bigger story when a more famous guys says it. If, say, Jason Peters said the same thing about Trent, would it be a story? Of course it would, though again, a much smaller one than it is with T.O.

And no, I don't have issues with T.O. But I do have issues, bigtime, with some of T.O.'s actions. It's that simple.

If you look at that statement, he first throws Romo under the bus,"He was the quarterback of the team. I think everybody realized that. It was upon him to adopt that leadership role and carry that out. Obviously, they saw that didn’t happen..." That's clearly a direct attack on Romo. There's no manipulation of the statement by the media or posters going on here. He attacked Romo and then tried for innocence.

First, he tries to make Romo the scapegoat. Then he tries for sympathy by saying he, T.O., will be the scapegoat. It's clever, it's interesting, it's funny, the guy is really a media natural. But you do not want this happening on your team. If it gets to be a regular thing, your team breaks down into factions.

You really are a homer! :D That is cool...but if this guy wasn't a Buffalo Bill, nobody here would be bending over backwards to defend his immaturity...

Bingo! Nobody on these boards would have defended this if he were still in Dallas. Or virtually nobody.

You seriously don't think the media would feast upon him saying, "No comment," or, "I don't want to discuss that?" They'd still slant it against him. Like I said, they already proved they'll do that with his comments at camp.

He says "No comment," and it's a minor story. He says it the next ten times he's standing in front of a microphone and it just simply isn't a story of any kind anymore. And furthermore, the reporters would stop coming back.

TO is the scapegoat isn't he? If the story is true about Romo why is it TO's fault that he is more of a leader than Romo? There is always a top dog in a pack of wolves and if Romo cannot assert himself enough to become the top dog than that is a Tony Romo issue not a TO issue..

I would go so far to say that on every team TO has been on before the Bills there wasn't a true offensive leader. People will say "what about Mcnabb?" and i will make the same statement. I don't think Mcnabb is much of a leader. When he had his very public fight with TO through the media it became very apparent that Mcnabb is a baby. I am not so sure if the Bills have a real leader either. There aren't any fiery people on the sidelines. I miss the days of Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley. They were a bunch of wolves on the sidelines and it showed on the field.

TO is a headcase i don't think anyone will deny that. I personally think he is somewhat like a woman and just wants to be heard. If anything Jauron is very good at listening to his players which is why they love him so much. Trent seems to be leaning on TO's experience and is working well with him so far. It remains to be seen what happens when Trent misses a wide open TO on the field.

I for one am very happy that TO is on the Bills. He's 36 years old and still a top 5 WR in the league in my opinion. The bottom line is that the Bills need something on the sideline. Jauron is a zombie and it filters down to the rest of the team. TO will bring something extra to the team and if he can rile up some of our players on gameday to play better than i am all for it.

Besides TO is always made out to be some kind of one man wrecking crew. I just don't buy it.

Kota, you make some great points here, and I appreciate it, but the first paragraph of your post (quoted above) misses what I think is the point.

Nobody is blaming T.O. for Romo's lack of leadership qualities. I don't know exactly what's going on down there, but it seems possible, maybe even likely that Romo has a problem in this area, and maybe a further problem with screwing up in big games too. And since I hate the Cowboys, the whole thing thrills me. I don't know that T.O. is wrong, in fact I think he's probably right.

The problem is that T.O. just can't bring himself to say "Hey, talk to the Cowboys about that, I'm a Buffalo Bill." Instead, he involves himself again and again, and in this case he clearly places the blame on Romo. That's the problem. The interesting part for me is that he's so savvy that he doesn't do it baldly, he immediately says that he, T.O., is the scapegoat when he is doing his best to put that tag on Romo. It's great stuff.

They will "do anything" with his comments, because, eventually, they will get him to say somehting juicy...he has that track record, it is what he does... I am not even saying what TO says is not factual, but he doesn't need to say the stuff at all. He could leave out all the other stuff, before saying "I am a Buffalo Bill now". But, he normally goes with the approach, of "I am taking the high road on this, even though the other guy is the real jerk here..." See, that is not taking the high road. It is what you expect out of a child...but he is a Buffalo Bill, so it is cool!

Ha ha ha ha. Exactly. You said it much better than I could. Thanks.

And I love the last sentence. It does seem much more acceptable now that he's wearing a helmet with a Bison on it.

It's still worth noting, though.

You really are a homer! :D That is cool...but if this guy wasn't a Buffalo Bill, nobody here would be bending over backwards to defend his immaturity...

Bingo! Nobody on these boards would have defended this if he were still in Dallas. Or virtually nobody.

You guys are only basing that on the hundreds of threads on this board before he became a Bill. :D

Gee, sir. You are so wise and clever. If only I could some day hope to be as intelligent and just generally all-around terrific as you. You make being condescending look so easy, as if you don't really have to understand what you're talking about to do it. Gotta love that.

For a lesson in not understanding what you're talking about: see the original post in this thread.

If anyone saw Tony Romo on ESPN NFL Live tonight, that is how an adult handles a difficult question. Asked how he respods to TO questioning his leadership, and saying he (TO) is a scapegoat for the Romo's problems, Romo just said "Well, I didn't see him say it, and I know how you guys like to bait him and twist his words...so it is what it is. I was teammates with TO for 3 years, he was a great talent... I know we have a big job ahead of us, replacing what he braught to the offense..." That is taking the high road...

If anyone saw Tony Romo on ESPN NFL Live tonight, that is how an adult handles a difficult question. Asked how he respods to TO questioning his leadership, and saying he (TO) is a scapegoat for the Romo's problems, Romo just said "Well, I didn't see him say it, and I know how you guys like to bait him and twist his words...so it is what it is. I was teammates with TO for 3 years, he was a great talent... I know we have a big job ahead of us, replacing what he braught to the offense..." That is taking the high road...

Yup, I don't like Romo and hope that he (and every Cowboy) loses consistently throughout his Cowboy career.

But that's the way to handle a question like that.

No, this is a story no matter who says it, but obviously a much bigger story when a more famous guys says it. If, say, Jason Peters said the same thing about Trent, would it be a story? Of course it would, though again, a much smaller one than it is with T.O.

And no, I don't have issues with T.O. But I do have issues, bigtime, with some of T.O.'s actions. It's that simple.

If you look at that statement, he first throws Romo under the bus,"He was the quarterback of the team. I think everybody realized that. It was upon him to adopt that leadership role and carry that out. Obviously, they saw that didn’t happen..." That's clearly a direct attack on Romo. There's no manipulation of the statement by the media or posters going on here. He attacked Romo and then tried for innocence.

First, he tries to make Romo the scapegoat. Then he tries for sympathy by saying he, T.O., will be the scapegoat. It's clever, it's interesting, it's funny, the guy is really a media natural. But you do not want this happening on your team. If it gets to be a regular thing, your team breaks down into factions.

You really want to find fault in him here...NOTHING he said threw Romo under the bus other than answering the question truthfully...in fact, I would be hard pressed to find a single person outside a hardcore Romo fan that would disagree with anything T.O. said. My best friend is a hardcore Cowboys fan and agreed 100% with what T.O. said. Romo is being told to get in shape...leaders of the football team DONT show up to camp out of shape!

When was the last time you heard a coach tell Manning, Brees, or Brady to get his fat arse in shape during camp? NEVER, becuase they are elite QB's who lead their teams! What has Romo ever done other than fade down the stretch?

Throwing a person under the bus is what T.O. did to Jeff Garcia...this statement is just an honest answer to a question he was asked. I dont support a lot of what T.O. has done, but I will say he gets a bad rap for a lot of what goes on. Now that problem is one he EARNED, but that doesnt mean everything he says is poison.

And honestly, who really gives a dam?! Our team is relevant for the first time in years, our QB has stunk and needs someone to take him to the next level and T.O. fits Trents game very well, our team is getting some MUCH needed media attention, and T.O. is always been on his best behavior and had big years his first year on a new team. His addition is a big WIN WIN for us...

Add in the great draft, key FA signings, and a more seasoned Trent and you have a lot to be excited about this year...so why try and drag T.O. through the mud? Just sit back and enjoy the ride and be happy there is reasons to be very optimistic this year...

Yup, I don't like Romo and hope that he (and every Cowboy) loses consistently throughout his Cowboy career.

But that's the way to handle a question like that.

Wrong...this is how a weak passive player who isnt a leader answers this question....

Like a wuss, he went the "well I didnt see him say it" route to avoid the question. A Leader acknowledges the statement, lets it be known it doesnt bother him, and makes a strong statement about the direction of him, his leadership and the team. All he did here was VALIDATE TO's comment.

A true leader would have addressed this more confidently. For instance, lets edit his statement to be a much more powerful comment...

"I know the media loves to twist and manipulate statements to create news, but I am not interested in getting baited into a war of words in the media, especially since T.O., just like everyone else, is entitled to their own opinnion. I don't have a problem with anything anyone says, all that matters is those guys in that locker room and right now all my focus is on leading this team, getting ready for the season, and winning the Super Bowl and thats it."

You really want to find fault in him here...NOTHING he said threw Romo under the bus other than answering the question truthfully...

Didn't need to read the rest. Just this much shows you have missed the point.

My boss is in fact a complete jerk. If I say so out loud, that makes me too a complete jerk. T.O. may have been right, but he was still throwing Romo under the bus. If you look at the saying "throwing him under the bus," you notice that it doesn't say a thing about whether he belonged under the bus, whether he was a jerk, or whatever. The point is that T.O. first threw him under the bus and then said that he, T.O. would be the scapegoat, implying that he was taking the high road.

Short version. He acted like a jerk and then tried to act like he was the one being wronged.

Wrong...this is how a weak passive player who isnt a leader answers this question....

Like a wuss, he went the "well I didnt see him say it" route to avoid the question. A Leader acknowledges the statement, lets it be known it doesnt bother him, and makes a strong statement about the direction of him, his leadership and the team. All he did here was VALIDATE TO's comment.

A true leader would have addressed this more confidently. For instance, lets edit his statement to be a much more powerful comment...

"I know the media loves to twist and manipulate statements to create news, but I am not interested in getting baited into a war of words in the media, especially since T.O., just like everyone else, is entitled to their own opinnion. I don't have a problem with anything anyone says, all that matters is those guys in that locker room and right now all my focus is on leading this team, getting ready for the season, and winning the Super Bowl and thats it."

Wow, you are a bigger homer than I even imagined...you love you some TO...if you can't see the difference in how the two guys handle the situation, there is nothing to really say...

Yeah, that would be brilliant. Blame it on T.O. and the media. You're right about one thing, if Romo did that, he would be playing T.O.'s game. He would be throwing T.O. under the bus by implying that T.O. was baiting him, and then claining the high road, when he says that everyone is entitled to an opinion. In other words T.O. is on the attack but Romo is just too high-class to say anything about it.

This, of course, would INFLAME the situation, the LAST thing Romo wants to do.

Romo's actual statement points out without anger that statements get misreported. Your statement blames it on the media (when everybody knows that the media isn't to blame in this, unless they have misquoted anyone, and there's no indication of that) and on T.O. This situation has been caused by COMMENTS to the media, made by Jerry Jones, T.O., Romo and all the usual suspects.

Blaming it on the media isn't strong or leader-like. It's a misdirection, an extremely obvious spin with no subtlety or believability whatsoever. It's Nixonian.

Blaming it on T.O. keeps the whole thing alive. Using your statement would have insured an angry reply from T.O., kept the media asking questions and kept the whole thing alive, the OPPOSITE of what Romo should want to do. Romo's statement was more boring, which was perfect. It nudged the situation towards disappearance, which is what Romo and the Cowboys want.

Romo handled it brilliantly. I wish he had answered it the way you suggest, because it would have hurt the Cowboys, kept the whole thing in the news and generally wreaked more havoc in the Lone Star State.

Didn't need to read the rest. Just this much shows you have missed the point.

My boss is in fact a complete jerk. If I say so out loud, that makes me too a complete jerk. T.O. may have been right, but he was still throwing Romo under the bus. If you look at the saying "throwing him under the bus," you notice that it doesn't say a thing about whether he belonged under the bus, whether he was a jerk, or whatever. The point is that T.O. first threw him under the bus and then said that he, T.O. would be the scapegoat, implying that he was taking the high road.

Short version. He acted like a jerk and then tried to act like he was the one being wronged.

Geezus...no offense but do you get gloomy when its over cast too? I mean, these are grown ass men being payed MILIONS of dollars (and more money than they will likely ever spend) to play a game, and you are worried about a guy TRUTHFULLY answering a question that wasnt a put down, but a very accurate assesment of Romo?

When the day comes that a guy cant say what T.O. just said and has to sugar coat it not to hurt someones poor lil feelings then I will stop watching football. Now if he said Romo was gay or attacked his character like he did with Garcia, then you have a point, but being HONEST with his answer and keeping strictly about football is NOT throwing him under the bus...

In fact, I know its blasphemy on these parts, but I loved it when Bellicheat ran the score up to prove a point in 2007. The reason is simple...it just made me laugh my ass off everytime some lame coach or butt hurt millionaire player cried about it in the media after. I will say the same thing to Romo that I said all season to the teams whining about Bellicheat running up the score: "IF YOUR RICH ASS DOESNT LIKE IT, PLAY BETTER" These guys play a game that is violent and painful where the object is to score points, yet people cry about a team being too good, or guys calling them out for lack of leadership????

The continued pussification of this great sport is sad...

PS: Standing up to a jerk doesnt make you a jerk...especially to your boss...

Yeah, that would be brilliant. Blame it on T.O. and the media. You're right about one thing, if Romo did that, he would be playing T.O.'s game. He would be throwing T.O. under the bus by implying that T.O. was baiting him, and then claining the high road, when he says that everyone is entitled to an opinion. In other words T.O. is on the attack but Romo is just too high-class to say anything about it.

This, of course, would INFLAME the situation, the LAST thing Romo wants to do.

Romo's actual statement points out without anger that statements get misreported. Your statement blames it on the media (when everybody knows that the media isn't to blame in this, unless they have misquoted anyone, and there's no indication of that) and on T.O. This situation has been caused by COMMENTS to the media, made by Jerry Jones, T.O., Romo and all the usual suspects.

Blaming it on the media isn't strong or leader-like. It's a misdirection, an extremely obvious spin with no subtlety or believability whatsoever. It's Nixonian.

Blaming it on T.O. keeps the whole thing alive. Using your statement would have insured an angry reply from T.O., kept the media asking questions and kept the whole thing alive, the OPPOSITE of what Romo should want to do. Romo's statement was more boring, which was perfect. It nudged the situation towards disappearance, which is what Romo and the Cowboys want.

Romo handled it brilliantly. I wish he had answered it the way you suggest, because it would have hurt the Cowboys, kept the whole thing in the news and generally wreaked more havoc in the Lone Star State.

You clearly didnt read what I wrote...nothing in the statement gives any ammo back to TO nor blames him.