more "unintended consequences"; credit card fee's

Why not get them now with 0% interest?

Because she will find ways to spend the money before it all comes due... Then guess who is paying interest!... :lol:

Anyway... It is my way of protesting... The place is gonna sound like a cave! I would perfer a nice berber or something. I guess we are at a critical impasse

:lol:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because she will find ways to spend the money before it all comes due... Then guess who is paying interest!... :unsure:

Anyway... It is my way of protesting... The place is gonna sound like a cave! I would perfer a nice berber or something. I guess we are at a critical impasse

:lol:

Man there sure are a lot of pussies on this board. :lol:

We actually did the clothesline thing for a month, before I could pay to have the dryer reparied.

Something like a damaged roof is another issue, though - if, in the course of saving to fix something, you run a very real risk of incurring further significant loss, it makes quite a bit of sense to leverage future cash flow against an immediate use of a line of credit to ultimately save money in the long run.

For the most part, you're preaching to the choir (most common fight my wife and I have is over her incurring expensive long-term debt by using credit cards to buy stupid infomercial-type **** we don't even need)...but you're out of your gourd if you think credit is an absolute avoid-at-all-costs evil.

Of course, you're out of your gourd anyway...

My biggest gripe with my wife, HSN and QVC is that the Federal Express trucks have left a trail in my front yard and they keep breaking the sprinkler heads

Makes you feel worse when they are non-union... Then one can't blame the lazy union employee (UPS)... I guess pseudo-union that is. :lol:

More to the point if someone wasn't buying what the other one was selling, (which at this point is now a covert operation) my issue with Fed express would be a minimal concern :lol:

You're the one with old nasty rugs in your house. See in my house he had nice hardwood floor (on zero interest) and no credit card debt. It's a team effort.

Never said NASTY... Just OLD. OLD can be clean, they don't have to be nasty. Doesn't mean we don't clean and take care of them.

To quote Stevie Wonder:

To walk to school she's got to get up early

Her clothes are old but never are they dirty

Living just enough, just enough for the city...um hum

• 2 months later...
Feb 22

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting...=bb-creditcards

Congress really show'd them there credit card companys a thing or two........ :)

I know just about everything they do is well intentioned, it's just that there is a clear complete lack of business sense up on the hill. It's economics 101 to understand that if you take away a source of revenues from a company that they will look to make it up elsewhere. In this case here what is going to happen is that those with better credit will end up subsidizing the lost revenues with those with less than perfect credit.

"Even if you're the person who pays off your balance and doesn't even have any credit card debt," says Bowne. "They might get a notice that says they're getting a $100 annual fee. Even people with stellar credit and stellar credit payment histories need to pay attention."

This is what has happened to me on two of my cards and in the letter that I received they specifically cited that the cause of this was due to new credit card legislation.

I understand that some of their practices are god awful, but we need some common sense up there and apply it Unfortunately these bafoons are making ill advised decisions and what makes it even worse is that most of those decisions now a-days usually carry 9 to 11 zeros.

Ya... But wasn't there fees years ago? Nobody complained back then? They are just going back to how they did business before.

Remember when it cost you more at the pump to use credit?

It's not the same and I'm to tired to explain the differences.

• 5 months later...

I seem to remember talking about this. If you take away a revenue stream from a company, they will just make it up from somewhere else.

Thank you Dick Durbin, you rock!

Bank of America Corp. led financial stocks lower after saying U.S. curbs on debit-card fees may trigger a $10 billion charge, spurring speculation that rival banks have underestimated their own costs.

The slide began after Bank of America said rules in the financial industry overhaul, including the Durbin amendment’s curbs on debit-card fees, may prompt the charge and trim annual revenue by $2.3 billion, more than some of the most pessimistic estimates. JPMorgan Chase & Co., ranked second by assets in the U.S., dropped as much as 3.6 percent.

“We are seeing brutal honesty and transparency” from Bank of America, said Nancy Bush, an independent bank analyst. “It’s going to have a big impact on all of the big banks.”

Shrinking Revenue

Bank of America’s debit-card revenue could shrink by $1.8 billion to $2.3 billion starting in the third quarter of next year because of restrictions on fees merchants can charge for each swipe of a debit card, Chief Executive Brian Moynihan said in a presentation today. The bank is seeking ways to replace some of the revenue lost to the Durbin rule, named after Sen. Richard Durbin, the Illinois Democrat who sponsored the amendment, Moynihan said.

The bank also expects a goodwill charge of $7 billion to $10 billion in the third quarter tied to the value of the business after President Barack Obama signs the regulatory reform law approved by Congress this week, Chief Financial Officer Charles Noski said on a conference call. Goodwill is the difference between the price paid for an asset and its fair market value.

Lower Forecast

Banks had lobbied against the Durbin amendment, while retailers touted the changes as being pro-consumer. “It’s regulating a transaction between two businesses,” Noski said. “This isn’t going to benefit consumers at all.”

Card companies have predicted card users will pay higher fees and get lower perks and “points” for free travel and discounted merchandise.

Oh, and this isn't just for credit card users, it's also for debit card users.

Make sure you guys remember to thank Obama and the rest of the turds when all of a sudden you get some sort of unexpected fee on your banking statements.

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

Make sure you guys remember to thank Obama and the rest of the turds when all of a sudden you get some sort of unexpected fee on your banking statements.

Y'know, with all the business experience currently occupying the WH, I can't understand why they never saw this coming.

I seem to remember talking about this. If you take away a revenue stream from a company, they will just make it up from somewhere else.

Thank you Dick Durbin, you rock!

Oh, and this isn't just for credit card users, it's also for debit card users.

All these fees... Weren't they really spawned out of the S&L scandal? They still have to make up for that.

Anway.. I did notice the letter I got... It is so !@#$ed up! It is like the gov't tries to do good and right a wrong... The children feel like they gotta take some where else... And then Mama and Daddy gov't just shrug their shoulders.

You can't win being a consumer! Gain ground somewhere and lose it elsewhere!

Y'know, with all the business experience currently occupying the WH, I can't understand why they never saw this coming.

Bull. Just proves the WH is naive when it comes to this stuff. They are trying to act on the up and up. Sorry that they aren't cynical and didn't see this coming. Actually, they should have seen it coming, it is the way gov't operates: Like little babies.

Bull. Just proves the WH is naive when it comes to this stuff. They are trying to act on the up and up. Sorry that they aren't cynical and didn't see this coming. Actually, they should have seen it coming, it is the way gov't operates: Like little babies.

It's not just the WH. It's all of Congress. Both sides of the aisle. They are all in the pocket of big business. This hasn't been "we the people" for quite some time. It is "we the corporation...."

Congress et al spend more time on getting re-elected then working on the "people's" business.

I'm sure that it was a well-intentioned bill. The problem is they don't have the ability to foresee things. For !@#$s sakes, if I can see these things, then they should be able to see it. How many things have I predicted on this website have come true? Like I said, if I can see it, then they should be able to see it as well. My best guess is that they are so blineded by their ideology that they refuse to see the logical outcome.

I said it over and over, if you take away a revenue stream from a company they will just make it up from somewhere else. Thats exactly what is going to happen. The sad part about this Durbin amendment was that the stores were the ones who were having to pay for the usage of using debit card swipes. Now, unfortunately, the banks can't charge them anymore, which means that you and I will now ultimately pay for it.

Like I said.

You can thank congress for this.

I'm sure that it was a well-intentioned bill. The problem is they don't have the ability to foresee things. For !@#$s sakes, if I can see these things, then they should be able to see it. How many things have I predicted on this website have come true? Like I said, if I can see it, then they should be able to see it as well. My best guess is that they are so blineded by their ideology that they refuse to see the logical outcome.

I said it over and over, if you take away a revenue stream from a company they will just make it up from somewhere else. Thats exactly what is going to happen. The sad part about this Durbin amendment was that the stores were the ones who were having to pay for the usage of using debit card swipes. Now, unfortunately, the banks can't charge them anymore, which means that you and I will now ultimately pay for it.

Like I said.

You can thank congress for this.

I agree.

Now... About those debit card swipes. I use one of my bank's (my other bank doesn't have this policy of charging me, it is only the small local bank I use) debit card... IF... I use the debit option and PIN, they charge me $.25... IF I cancel and use the credit option and sign for it, they DO NOT charge me the fee... I THINK they pass the fee on to the merchant?

I figured it out a along time ago... Right off the bat. Don't use the debit option. Ever wonder why all stores keypads are different? Some make it so convoluted to find the credit key... You have to press cancel to get to the menu where the credit option is. Probably most people are lazy and process as a debit, hence the merchant doesn't have to eat the fee... The consumer does.

Don't get me started about the whole pending thing with some banks... They are floating the money. My other bank does everything in real time.

I agree.

Now... About those debit card swipes. I use one of my bank's (my other bank doesn't have this policy of charging me, it is only the small local bank I use) debit card... IF... I use the debit option and PIN, they charge me $.25... IF I cancel and use the credit option and sign for it, they DO NOT charge me the fee... I THINK they pass the fee on to the merchant?

I figured it out a along time ago... Right off the bat. Don't use the debit option. Ever wonder why all stores keypads are different? Some make it so convoluted to find the credit key... You have to press cancel to get to the menu where the credit option is. Probably most people are lazy and process as a debit, hence the merchant doesn't have to eat the fee... The consumer does.

Don't get me started about the whole pending thing with some banks... They are floating the money. My other bank does everything in real time.

Close, but not *quite* right... Banks earn more 'interchange fees' on a credit transaction than on a debit transaction. They charged you that $.25 to 'encourage' you to use the credit network (and thus the highter interchange rate) vs. the debit network.

It's pretty complicated, but basically it comes down to this: Credit transactions are more risky than debit transactions and so banks are compensated for the elevated risk levels.