Can someone clarify a play for me?

ofiba

On the play where fast freddy caught the punt....

It seemed to me that it was a designed play. It looked like they wanted Clements to call fair catch, and then fast freddy to catch it and run with it. Maybe they thought the other team would think it was a fair catch because clements called it, allowing smith to run off since he didn't call it. They were chatting before the play so i thought something might be up. What do you guys think happened on this play?

I believe if one player calls for a FC, the other player has to oblige that call as well.

I could be wrong about that however. Bear in mind, doing so is kind of 'unfair '.

Looks like what happened to me is that NC called for the FC, but couldn't get to the ball, F/J Smith caught the ball & was about to run, but stopped & fell realizing that the FC had been called (prohibiting from running after the catch).

I believe if one player calls for a FC, the other player has to oblige that call as well.

I could be wrong about that however.  Bear in mind, doing so is kind of  'unfair '.

Looks like what happened to me is that NC called for the FC, but couldn't get to the ball, F/J Smith caught the ball & was about to run, but stopped & fell realizing that the FC had been called (prohibiting from running after the catch).

106598[/snapback]

I think you are correct. I also think it is a penalty if you run with it.