Victim of Credit Fraud

JLO

So I get a call on Monday from this company that monitors credit card transactions for my credit union, apparently someone got my mastercard/debit card number, and made 4 ATM withdrawals on Sat/Sun totally $1000. Then I find out it happened to 2 of my co-workers also over the weekend and in one instance, the same location on the same day. Me and the 2 other guys went to HR dept at work to make them aware of this, not accusing anyone, but to raise a red flag. So now Im going through the process of filling out the appropriate paperwork, filing police report, etc to get the money back in my acct. Just curious if anyone else finds it curious that 3 people with the same employer had this happen to them the same weekend and same location, and if anyone has any insight into how this might have happened. :devil:

I forgot to add that the card never left my possession.

Guest dog14787
I have never had that happen to me but it sounds like the Credit Union's database got hacked by pro's and they programmed some ATM cards with the hacked info.

Sounds more likely to be internal within the company to me, a disgruntled employee who works or used to work payroll, maybe someone in the accounting department.

They will probably investigate you and your co workers thoroughly.

The odds of a hacker getting into your credit unions database and randomly picking accounts and somehow picking three accounts employed by the same company seem slim to me.

Guest dog14787
Maybe you all used the same independent ATM? I've read that those are horribly unsecured. You have no friggin idea who is operating those ATMs or what they are doing with the info.

Probably the best place to start. :devil:

All three of us this happened to have different banks, and Ive never been to the one city where the same ATM was used for 2 of our accounts.

I'm curious then how some one/entity would know your PIN then. You enter it into an ATM, your bank presumably has access to it; who else? Why would your credit union or employer know it? Am I missing something?

This is the reason why my wife and I stopped using our debit card. We use our credit card for everything. The cc has been hacked a few times but we have never been responsible for the amount hacked.

I've been saying that for years, and have been told by people (real world and on this board) that, "Nothing's ever happened to me, stop being so paranoid!"

Kinda funny, really.