Stallworth Going To Prison

H2o

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge.

The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and perform 1,000 community service hours for hitting and killing 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

I hope the judge doesn't accept thew plea agreement. BS

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first gut reaction as well. BUt what does the victims family more good, Stallworth in jail, or him compensating the family? I am really not sure

Steely said it earlier, no guy from the middle class could get a deal like this. Money talks and our judicial system is "owned" by it or should I say "buy" it. :thumbsup:

If he's only getting 30 days then there must be a mitigating circumstance.

Yeah, according to Florio... the guy was walking across the middle of a multi-lane road, and therefore contributed to his own death.

If he's only getting 30 days then there must be a mitigating circumstance.

He also got two years of house arrest and can never drive again. The article also mentions that the victims family had agreed with the sentence.

Link

If Stallworth doesn't get the same or worse suspension than Vick I am going to puke. He killed a guy because he was too lazy to call a cab or car service (which he had plenty of money to do so). His actions were so irresponseable and now a man is dead. Stallworth is just as bad as Vick in my opinion and Vick served almost two years in jail for what he did Stallworth is only going to do a month.

If Vick gets a year suspension in the NFL and Stallworth gets a slap on the wrist four game suspension than I will be so pissed you will never hear the end of it. If guys like Leonard Little and Stallworth play but Vick can't than we truly as a society have started to care more about animals than our fellow man. Honestly I hear the ban Vick because he is bad for business angle but why wouldn't having a guy like Stallworth be bad for business? Just because the Stallworth case isn't as high profile doesn't mean it can't shape the image of the NFL.

As for 30 days in jail and 1000 hours of community service you have to be kidding me. I understand that Stallworth didn't intend for any of this to happen but he has to loose a little more than that. If that was my brother or someone really close to me I would want Stallworth to go to jail for at least 2 years to punish him for what he did. Take away a few Years of his life and from his playing time. Once he has served his time he can go back and play.

It is a seriously sad situation, especially for the victim. There will be alot less dropped balls in the NFL this season with him in jail or suspended. There must be some mitigating circumstance, otherwise there is no way he could plea to only 30 days in jail.

The judge is judging him, not me. He can rot for any sentence he gets thanks to his actions.

Than can't the same logic be used for Vick as well? The american justice system gave him his punishment and now that he has served it why can't he come back and get a job if a team wants him to play?

The crime holds that sentence if he went to trial, which he did not. He has accepted a plea bargain. Also, there were more circumstances than him driving with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit, including the pedestrian illegally crossing on a busy multiple lane street.

I understand the circumstances but even when you take into account the fact that the guy was illegally crossing a busy street he should still get more than 30 days. At the bare minimum give him a year in jail. If I was the family i would want 2 years. I understand why it was not going to be a four year sentence but 30 days is really low for what he did.

Guest three3
I understand the circumstances but even when you take into account the fact that the guy was illegally crossing a busy street he should still get more than 30 days. At the bare minimum give him a year in jail. If I was the family i would want 2 years. I understand why it was not going to be a four year sentence but 30 days is really low for what he did.

i have heard the dead man was an illegal immigrant running across the street to catch a bus home after his construction shift. perhaps his illegal status played a part in the decision, you koow, meaning he's treated and thought of as a fraction of a human being

i have heard the dead man was an illegal immigrant running across the street to catch a bus home after his construction shift. perhaps his illegal status played a part in the decision, you koow, meaning he's treated and thought of as a fraction of a human being

Doesn't mean its right even if he was an illegal. He is still someones father, brother, and husband. But I get what you are saying the justice system isn't going all out for an illegal that has little money. It is really sad though.

For those not inclined to actually read the stories on Donte Stallworth:

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth pleaded guilty on Tuesday to manslaughter while driving under the influence of alcohol and was sentenced to 30 days in jail for the car crash that killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach.

The National Football League player's jail term will be followed by two years of house arrest and eight years' probation.

Stallworth might be allowed to play football during that time, if his community control officer and the NFL allow it, because people under house arrest are usually permitted to go to work or school, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade County state attorney's office said.

But he will need a lift to the stadium because his driver's license has been suspended for life.

"He cannot drive ever again for any reason. That is what the (victim's) family wanted. The family urged us to do this," spokeswoman Terry Chavez said.

A judge also ordered Stallworth to pay $10,000 in fines and perform 1,000 hours of community service.

Blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of 0.126, well above Florida's legal limit of 0.08, when he hit and killed 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes on March 14, court documents said.

He also reached a confidential civil settlement with Reyes's family (agreed to by the family and rumored to be about $3-5 million). Stallworth had accepted full responsibility for his actions.

"He acted like a man, he reported it immediately to the police through 911, he remained at the scene, he co-operated fully with the Miami Beach Police Department," Lyons said.

State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Stallworth had no prior traffic violations or criminal convictions, and that Reyes's family had agreed to the terms of his sentence.

This issue is as much about what the deceased family wants and also what is best for society. Do we take a strictly punitive approach as a society (4 years prison term) or attempt to do what is best for everyone: big money to the family, no driving ever again for Stallworth, 1000 hours of community service (the equivalent of 6 months of full time work), $10,000 donation to an organization, etc? Recently two Western New York lawyers struck and killed people and left their victims to die, Drew Tidwell and John Duffy were the lawyers.

I agree that because of his wealth (not so much his celebrity) that he can buy his way out of this. But isn't it possible that this is also the best penalty he can pay as far as all parties are concerned?

p.s.-I have seen zero reports that the victim was an illegal alien. He was a crane operator and it would be very unlikely that a person of such responsibility would be undocumented.

Guest three3
The separate issue is what the NFL will do for punishment.

absolutely nothing. smoking marijuana is a much more serious crime than drunk driving and killing an illegal citizen.

sin,

Roger Goodell