Stallworth Going To Prison

H2o

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not inclined to actually read the stories on Donte Stallworth:

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth pleaded guilty on Tuesday to manslaughter while driving under the influence of alcohol and was sentenced to 30 days in jail for the car crash that killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach.

The National Football League player's jail term will be followed by two years of house arrest and eight years' probation.

Stallworth might be allowed to play football during that time, if his community control officer and the NFL allow it, because people under house arrest are usually permitted to go to work or school, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade County state attorney's office said.

But he will need a lift to the stadium because his driver's license has been suspended for life.

"He cannot drive ever again for any reason. That is what the (victim's) family wanted. The family urged us to do this," spokeswoman Terry Chavez said.

A judge also ordered Stallworth to pay $10,000 in fines and perform 1,000 hours of community service.

Blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of 0.126, well above Florida's legal limit of 0.08, when he hit and killed 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes on March 14, court documents said.

He also reached a confidential civil settlement with Reyes's family (agreed to by the family and rumored to be about $3-5 million). Stallworth had accepted full responsibility for his actions.

"He acted like a man, he reported it immediately to the police through 911, he remained at the scene, he co-operated fully with the Miami Beach Police Department," Lyons said.

State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Stallworth had no prior traffic violations or criminal convictions, and that Reyes's family had agreed to the terms of his sentence.

This issue is as much about what the deceased family wants and also what is best for society. Do we take a strictly punitive approach as a society (4 years prison term) or attempt to do what is best for everyone: big money to the family, no driving ever again for Stallworth, 1000 hours of community service (the equivalent of 6 months of full time work), $10,000 donation to an organization, etc? Recently two Western New York lawyers struck and killed people and left their victims to die, Drew Tidwell and John Duffy were the lawyers.

I agree that because of his wealth (not so much his celebrity) that he can buy his way out of this. But isn't it possible that this is also the best penalty he can pay as far as all parties are concerned?

p.s.-I have seen zero reports that the victim was an illegal alien. He was a crane operator and it would be very unlikely that a person of such responsibility would be undocumented.

I'll say it again. There are no reports that the victim was an illegal alien.

The separate issue is what the NFL will do for punishment.

Assuming he's still in Stage 2 of the treatment program (per Philly Inquirer when he played for the Eagles), the conviction guarantees at least four games. Little got eight when Tagliabue was still the commish. With Goodell, I'm thinking at least that many, and wouldn't be shocked -- or displeased -- to see a full season.

Guest three3
I'll say it again. There are no reports that the victim was an illegal alien.

what the hell does it matter? a human being is a human being

what the hell does it matter? a human being is a human being

It matters because there is a movement of belief that the punishment given Stallworth was supposedly lenient due to the incorrect speculation (that you started) that the victim was an illegal. It's a complex enough issue without confusing all those people who get their news from the television and want to believe only part of what they hear/read.

If we're going to discuss it, how about we stick to the actual facts?

Guest three3

i've heard he was an illegal. i do not know if he was. my point was that the punishment should be the same regardless of his status as illegal or legal

My first gut reaction as well. BUt what does the victims family more good, Stallworth in jail, or him compensating the family? I am really not sure

Both could have easily been done. One doesn't exclude the other IMO. The legal repercussions should have nothing to do with the monetary repercussions.

If Stallworth doesn't get the same or worse suspension than Vick I am going to puke. He killed a guy because he was too lazy to call a cab or car service (which he had plenty of money to do so). His actions were so irresponseable and now a man is dead. Stallworth is just as bad as Vick in my opinion and Vick served almost two years in jail for what he did Stallworth is only going to do a month.

If Vick gets a year suspension in the NFL and Stallworth gets a slap on the wrist four game suspension than I will be so pissed you will never hear the end of it. If guys like Leonard Little and Stallworth play but Vick can't than we truly as a society have started to care more about animals than our fellow man. Honestly I hear the ban Vick because he is bad for business angle but why wouldn't having a guy like Stallworth be bad for business? Just because the Stallworth case isn't as high profile doesn't mean it can't shape the image of the NFL.

As for 30 days in jail and 1000 hours of community service you have to be kidding me. I understand that Stallworth didn't intend for any of this to happen but he has to loose a little more than that. If that was my brother or someone really close to me I would want Stallworth to go to jail for at least 2 years to punish him for what he did. Take away a few Years of his life and from his playing time. Once he has served his time he can go back and play.

What he said. :doh:

i have heard the dead man was an illegal immigrant running across the street to catch a bus home after his construction shift. perhaps his illegal status played a part in the decision, you koow, meaning he's treated and thought of as a fraction of a human being

I'm pretty sure he wasn't an illegal alien and he was running to the bus to go to work not after it. This occurred early in the morning.

Ugh, he had to donate to Mothers against drunk driving. I hate that "organization".

Just curious, why?

For those not inclined to actually read the stories on Donte Stallworth:

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth pleaded guilty on Tuesday to manslaughter while driving under the influence of alcohol and was sentenced to 30 days in jail for the car crash that killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach.

The National Football League player's jail term will be followed by two years of house arrest and eight years' probation.

Stallworth might be allowed to play football during that time, if his community control officer and the NFL allow it, because people under house arrest are usually permitted to go to work or school, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade County state attorney's office said.

But he will need a lift to the stadium because his driver's license has been suspended for life.

"He cannot drive ever again for any reason. That is what the (victim's) family wanted. The family urged us to do this," spokeswoman Terry Chavez said.

A judge also ordered Stallworth to pay $10,000 in fines and perform 1,000 hours of community service.

Blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of 0.126, well above Florida's legal limit of 0.08, when he hit and killed 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes on March 14, court documents said.

He also reached a confidential civil settlement with Reyes's family (agreed to by the family and rumored to be about $3-5 million). Stallworth had accepted full responsibility for his actions.

"He acted like a man, he reported it immediately to the police through 911, he remained at the scene, he co-operated fully with the Miami Beach Police Department," Lyons said.

State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Stallworth had no prior traffic violations or criminal convictions, and that Reyes's family had agreed to the terms of his sentence.

This issue is as much about what the deceased family wants and also what is best for society. Do we take a strictly punitive approach as a society (4 years prison term) or attempt to do what is best for everyone: big money to the family, no driving ever again for Stallworth, 1000 hours of community service (the equivalent of 6 months of full time work), $10,000 donation to an organization, etc? Recently two Western New York lawyers struck and killed people and left their victims to die, Drew Tidwell and John Duffy were the lawyers.

I agree that because of his wealth (not so much his celebrity) that he can buy his way out of this. But isn't it possible that this is also the best penalty he can pay as far as all parties are concerned?

p.s.-I have seen zero reports that the victim was an illegal alien. He was a crane operator and it would be very unlikely that a person of such responsibility would be undocumented.

1. House arrest and he can still play because he's not in prison. House arrest big friggin deal I'm sure he has a pool a nice rec. room and he can still have friends come over.

2. I believe his license is only suspended for life in Florida. If it's a national ban on driving it will be the first time I've ever heard of that. If he's caught driving without a license he'll get a slap on the wrist, and that's if they pull him over.

3. Who gives a crap what the victims family wanted. The facts are he was driving drunk and hit and killed someone. Two years in prison should be the minimum sentence for him.

4. 10,000 bucks for him like 10 bucks to you and me. The 1,000 hours of community service I agree with but it should have been after a few years in prison.

5. I don't give a flying :wallbash: about his settlement. IMO, that should have nothing to with it. To me it sounds like the family agreed to sell their loved one's justice for money. I think that shouldn't be legal. The punishment for each should be completely separate.

Hopefully Goodell gives him a two year suspensions and tightens the punishment on DUI's in general.

Guest three3

the original report i read was that he was running to catch a bus after his shift ended. construction workers often labor through the night

MADD has become a draconian organization that is pretty much anti-alcohol. They are the people that lobbied the federal government to force states to make the drinking age 21. They want all cars to have breathalyzers in them, which don't let you drive even with a .001 BAC. They want to make it illegal to drive with any alcohol in your blood. They want to increase taxes on all alcoholic drinks.

Even MADD's founder left the organization in disgust.

the original report i read was that he was running to catch a bus after his shift ended. construction workers often labor through the night

I stand corrected. :wallbash:

Linky

According to the report, Stallworth told officers he flashed his lights to try to warn 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after getting off work around 7:15 a.m. March 14.

MADD has become a draconian organization that is pretty much anti-alcohol. They are the people that lobbied the federal government to force states to make the drinking age 21. They want all cars to have breathalyzers in them, which don't let you drive even with a .001 BAC. They want to make it illegal to drive with any alcohol in your blood. They want to increase taxes on all alcoholic drinks.

Even MADD's founder left the organization in disgust.

Gotcha! That is going to far.

Press release from the Miami-Dade DAs Office:

“Every case that we prosecute, especially those that involve the death of a human being, is closely scrutinized to ensure that a fair and just resolution is reached for all parties,” said prosecutor Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “We have specifically looked at the unique facts involved with this charge, Mr. Stallworth’s excellent pre-incident history of community service, abundant references that attest to his good character, his lack of any traffic violations or criminal convictions, his full and complete post-incident cooperation with law enforcement, and his willingness to accept complete responsibility for his actions.

“For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached,” Ms. Rundle added. “The terms of the plea have been agreed upon between the State Attorney’s office and the police, and has been extended with the full endorsement and consent of the Reyes family, who believe that this plea and its timing are in the best interest of their 15-year-old daughter, the sole remaining child of Mario Reyes. Although no sentence can ever restore Mr. Reyes to his family, the provisions of this plea will provide closure to them and appropriate punishment for Mr. Stallworth’s conduct and the effects of his actions that night.”

The government has spoken. Stallworth is already in custody serving his 30 day sentence. The next step is for the NFL Commish to rule. FYI, Leonard Little was suspended for 8 games in 1998 after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges after a similar incident.

i hope not but wonder if you are correct

There is 1 reported prison rape per 1000 in-mates in the state of Florida. Granted, not all are reported.. but it gives you a fairly good picture about how uncommon it really is. The actual rate is probably 10% or less.

Now, is his license revoked for life in the state of Florida alone or throughout the whole United States?

Most likely, just the state of Florida. However, not being a lawyer... i can't tell you for sure. I'd say that some states probably have laws that do not let you get a license if you've lost it in another state.