Question for those familiar with the Atlanta area

The Poojer

my son and a couple of friends are doing a baseball game road trip next week. they are gonna hit myrtle beach first to watch the pelicans play, then head to the atlanta region to watch the Gwinette Braves then The A-Braves. They booked hotels in Atl and Gwinette, but I suggested looking into camping somewhere in the middle, they are camping in Myrtle Beach. Lo and behold, Stone Mountain State Park seems to be almost halfway between Gwinette and Atlanta. Anyone familiar with that state park and the ease of hitting both areas? thanks in advance.

my son and a couple of friends are doing a baseball game road trip next week. they are gonna hit myrtle beach first to watch the pelicans play, then head to the atlanta region to watch the Gwinette Braves then The A-Braves. They booked hotels in Atl and Gwinette, but I suggested looking into camping somewhere in the middle, they are camping in Myrtle Beach. Lo and behold, Stone Mountain State Park seems to be almost halfway between Gwinette and Atlanta. Anyone familiar with that state park and the ease of hitting both areas? thanks in advance.

Sorry can't help you out Pooj... But on another note did you ever watch the History Channel and their show "Life After Humans?" The one thing they said that they said would last the test of time is the carving in the granite... Literally almost everything that humans made would fade away... But, not Stone Mountain... The Confederacy literally will last on for 1,000's of years! :rolleyes:

The Gwinnett ballpark is right off of Highway (not Interstate) 20 and Interstate 85. You're better off getting a hotel right around the ballpark, then driving to Stone Mountain via the Interstate and Highway 78. Staying by the ballpark, you're also right around the Mall of Georgia, so there's much more to do around there. It's also easier to get to Atlanta and Turner field from Gwinnett since you'd be right on the Interstate. Stone Mountain is a ways east of Atlanta, and not really in between the Gwinnett ballpark and ATL.

Hope this helps.

yeah it really does help. thanks

The Gwinnett ballpark is right off of Highway (not Interstate) 20 and Interstate 85. You're better off getting a hotel right around the ballpark, then driving to Stone Mountain via the Interstate and Highway 78. Staying by the ballpark, you're also right around the Mall of Georgia, so there's much more to do around there. It's also easier to get to Atlanta and Turner field from Gwinnett since you'd be right on the Interstate. Stone Mountain is a ways east of Atlanta, and not really in between the Gwinnett ballpark and ATL.

Hope this helps.

you could really make an adventure out of it and camp out near Turner Field!! :thumbsup:

personally, id stick with the hotels.

Stone Mountain is cool to see. Big ol carving in a big ol rock, memorializing the Confederate's finest. the park is very nice and the climb up isn't too hard of a workout, but enough to make you appreciate it once you get to the top.

How old are your son and his friends? If theyre in their early 20s, there are much more entertaining things in Atlanta. Namely, the Buckhead Betty's.

they are 18, just graduated high school...no 'adult' fun for them

you could really make an adventure out of it and camp out near Turner Field!! :thumbsup:

personally, id stick with the hotels.

Stone Mountain is cool to see. Big ol carving in a big ol rock, memorializing the Confederate's finest. the park is very nice and the climb up isn't too hard of a workout, but enough to make you appreciate it once you get to the top.

How old are your son and his friends? If theyre in their early 20s, there are much more entertaining things in Atlanta. Namely, the Buckhead Betty's.