Is Buffalo ready for the T-Gun?

I will leave it up to you but here are my thoughts. The below link will provide some history on the hurry up offense. Make sure you scroll down and read the TWO MINUTE DRILL. I will call the offense the T-Gun till we think of a better name (lol)

I believe you need the following

#1 A head coach that excels in Clock Management, its going to be Dick or the Turk calling the plays.

Coaches must move players in and out to create a mismatch. Poor management will result in bungled plays, yellow hankys or wasted time outs not to mention a fatigued defense if its 3 and out.

#2 A quarterback that can read the opposing teams defense and communicate changes on the fly

#3 An experienced Offensive line with endurance to handle the fatigue factor. Center is a critical position.

It may take half the season before the offense is perfected. It may be wiser to phase in this offense over the first 6 games.

If you think back, Marv Levy used the offense on a limited basis then completely switched to the K- Gun when it was working well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurry-up_offense

Your thoughts are welcome....personally, I don't care if we run the T-Gun or not, lets just score some points.

DIE HARD 1967

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will leave it up to you but here are my thoughts. The below link will provide some history on the hurry up offense.....

I don't need a wilkepedia article about the hurry up. I watched it live for about 8 years be run better then any coach or QB could ever hope to use it, and it produced an 0-4 SB record at its very best.

Screw the full time no-huddle, hurry up or 2 minute offense. It sucks and it tires out the defense even when it scores a lighting fast TD. :D

I don't need a wilkepedia article about the hurry up. I watched it live for about 8 years be run better then any coach or QB could ever hope to use it, and it produced an 0-4 SB record at its very best.

Screw the full time no-huddle, hurry up or 2 minute offense. It sucks and it tires out the defense even when it scores a lighting fast TD. :D

You may not need wikepedia, but some fans do.

I was hoping you would comment if you think we have the right coaching staff and players to run it!

I am in favor of a slow transformation. If Dick Jauron will call the plays and manage the clock, I am against it!

Thanks for your reply

I guess you prefer an offense that averages 18 pts a game, consistently goes 3 & out more then any other team in the league, averages .75 td passes per game & has ranked in the bottom half of the league the last 4 years. Yeah lets stick with that offense. :ph34r:

I guess you prefer an offense that averages 18 pts a game, consistently goes 3 & out more then any other team in the league, averages .75 td passes per game & has ranked in the bottom half of the league the last 4 years. Yeah lets stick with that offense. :D

I believe the offense is a posibility but not sure we have the center, experince on the OL, or the coach to run it!

But, the Bills can practice the hurry up and if it is effective, go with it!

One of the many reason the K-Gun was successful was the QB called the plays. They sensed the flow of the game better than the coaches. I don't see the point of a hurry-up/no-huddle if the coaches are going to call the plays.

One of the many reason the K-Gun was successful was the QB called the plays. They sensed the flow of the game better than the coaches. I don't see the point of a hurry-up/no-huddle if the coaches are going to call the plays.

I think Jim Kelly called some of the plays but they were from a list of preferred plays from the coaching staff

I think Trent will excel in a no-huddle. He reads defenses well and is able to check down to other options when necessary. The big questions are whether Dick/Turk can run it (we saw a few huge clock management blunders last year). The O-ine is also still a question mark. I know a lot of people have hope for this new revamped line (including me) but we simply don't know how good they will be.

All things considered, I'm optimistic about the no-huddle (don't know if I would call it the T-Gun :D ). Hopefully whatever we do this year is better than the last few...

Edit: I forgot to mention our new receiving corps. Having TO out there in combination with Lee and throw in Reed and Johnsn in the slot, Trent should have plenty of options.

I think Jim Kelly called some of the plays but they were from a list of preferred plays from the coaching staff

Correct, but he did not look to sidelines for every play. What if Edwards has a feel for what to call and Schonert calls a different play?

Couple of points here:

1) Jimbo called his own plays. He worked with the OC (Marchibroda) to game plan, but during the game Jim called his own plays. If I recall, Jim said they would enter the game with maybe 8-10 plays, just run from different formations and different motions to get the matchups they liked. So, the no huddle can actually be easier for the QB, as well as all the players, to nail than a game plan with a 60 plays. Smart QB is needed, and I Think Trent is that. As well, you need a QB who cares more about winning than stats, and I think Trent is there. Last thing anybody wants is a 70-30 pass/run ratio.

2) Big difference between a no-huddle and hurry up. Manning runs the no huddle to perfection. Not in place to hurry the game, but to keep the same personnel on the field from a defensive perspective. Can make it easier on the QB if he knows what defensive set he is going to get. Now, original poster mention coaches could bungle subs, but in a no huddle the idea is not to sub, as if you do, the D then gets the chance to make changes as well.

3) Need the right guys on offense to make this work. What I mean is you need guys who can stay in for the entire series. So you need a TE who can block as well as run routes. You need WR's willing to block on running plays. You need backs that can catch and run as well as block, in other words three down backs.

4) As mentioned, the center is critical. That to me is the biggest question here, as I think we have all the other pieces in place. Have never really seen the new guy play, and I think he played guard last year, so to ma that is a HUGE question mark.

I guess you prefer an offense that averages 18 pts a game, consistently goes 3 & out more then any other team in the league, averages .75 td passes per game & has ranked in the bottom half of the league the last 4 years. Yeah lets stick with that offense. :D

If ithe T Gun gets us tho the Superbowl 4 more times in a row, great! That would be better than missing the playoffs 12 yrs in a row.I say go for it. Let us create some excitement. Score baby Score!

Correct, but he did not look to sidelines for every play. What if Edwards has a feel for what to call and Schonert calls a different play?

They also didn't have radios in their helmets to call in plays when Jimbo was on the field.

Regarding the hurry up offense's effect on it's team's defense: Look the whole concept is to score quickly and put the other team's offense in pass mode. If you have a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter, you stop the other team's running game by default.

Then, you get a ball-hawking, risk taking, anti-pass defense that is going to blitz every other down and hope to create turnovers, which feed the hurry up offense great field position and hopefully it's 28-0 by halftime. There is no finer example of this game plan than the 51-3 Raiders beating.

The problem is: if the other team's offense gets the ball, runs for 3.5 yards a play and scores a TD on the first drive of the game, taking 10 minutes off the clock, NOW the hurry up, even if it scores, puts your defense on the field 2-3 minutes later. There is no finer example of this game plan than what happened in the SB game after the Raider game.

The big problem with the hurry up offense is not the hurry up offense. The big problem is putting a one dimensional defense on the field to complement it, especially if that defense is lazy against the run. The "bend don't break" defense, and let's face it, the pass-only offenses of the AFC in the early 90's meant that the Bills were used to playing with a two TD lead = jump routes and blitz because who cares? They hardly ever played a boring, NFC, 3 yards and boring, team. Did I mention they were boring? There was a reason NFL was called the "No Fun League" in the late 80's/ early 90's.

But, using a boring 3 yard running play, 5 yard passing play, game plan was effective against the Bills hurry up: the game only lasts 60 minutes. If games were played for 90 minutes, or even 75, there's no way that boring-ass Frankenstein football ever beats the hurry-up. But since the games only last 60 minutes, it can be used to bore the hell out of us and sometimes win.

What I think is interesting is: Dick Jauron is the full embodiment of boring ass old-school NFC football. I would love to know what is going on in his head when he sees all these "crazy hurry-up goings on". :D

I believe you need the following

#1 A head coach that excels in Clock Management, its going to be Dick or the Turk calling the plays.

Coaches must move players in and out to create a mismatch. Poor management will result in bungled plays, yellow hankys or wasted time outs not to mention a fatigued defense if its 3 and out.

#2 A quarterback that can read the opposing teams defense and communicate changes on the fly

#3 An experienced Offensive line with endurance to handle the fatigue factor. Center is a critical position.

I know I am probably in the minority here, but I still say that an experienced OL is not a pre-requisite. I agree that the C position is critical, as he's calling the line plays at a fast pace, but as far as the other OL spots are concerned, a play is a play, whether in no-huddle, hurry-up or standard tempo. Just the opposite, I think no-huddle/hurry-up helps an inexperienced line because: (1) the no-huddle/hurry-up playlist is usually smaller; and (2) the defense is kept off-balance, can't substitute, have time to call plays, etc; and (3) regarding the fatigue factor, this style of offense tends to tire out the D faster than the O.

I'm not saying it won't take time to get everyone on the same page, but we definitely have the skill positions for this, and coaches have already commented on how they're going to give Trent more leeway in calling plays/audibles at line of scrimmage....if the OL can just give us some average play, we should be able to make this work.