Kicker Dan Urrego - Anyone know how he has performed in OTA's?

ChasBB

Anyone heard anything about how Dan Urrego performed as a kicker during OTA's?

I've not seen a word about him. Even though he has both punting and kicking experience, I see that the Buffalo Bills are listing him as a Kicker on their roster. So, I'm assuming it's going to be a competition between Dan Urrego & Rian Lindell -- unless the Bills plan on bringing anyone else in. Is Urrego also competing with Brian Moorman for the punting position?

Any kicker or punter that they bring in are just camp fodder. They are paying Lindell and Moorman too much to take a hit on a kicker. Moorman is probably the most consistent player on the roster, but Lindell is in the top half of reliable kickers in my opinion.

Anyone heard anything about how Dan Urrego performed as a kicker during OTA's?

I've not seen a word about him. Even though he has both punting and kicking experience, I see that the Buffalo Bills are listing him as a Kicker on their roster. So, I'm assuming it's going to be a competition between Dan Urrego & Rian Lindell -- unless the Bills plan on bringing anyone else in. Is Urrego also competing with Brian Moorman for the punting position?

Sorry Mrs. Urrego, your son will be working at Walmart by September.

Lindell is a good kicker one of the best in the league. They won't get rid of him.

I remember when he was the butt of all jokes here. Times have changed since he changed things up 3-4 years ago. He has been way more consistent.

Lindell is a good kicker one of the best in the league. They won't get rid of him.

I remember when he was the butt of all jokes here. Times have changed since he changed things up 3-4 years ago. He has been way more consistent.

Kicker statistics from year-to-year are among the most unreliable in all of professional sports (due to relatively small sample size). There's really no way to say for sure whether or not Lindell is one of the best.

Personally, I'll take a kicker with a big boot and a steely mental resolve...when it comes to accuracy, most kickers are pretty much comparable over the long run.

Yeah I remember all those "No-Foot Lindell" jokes. Last year was just a bad year. Didn't he set a franchise record for most consecutive field goals made like...2 years ago?

And didn't he also set an NFL Record for most consecutive made extra points to start a career? Some ridiculous number if I remember correctly...

Yeah I remember all those "No-Foot Lindell" jokes. Last year was just a bad year. Didn't he set a franchise record for most consecutive field goals made like...2 years ago?

And didn't he also set an NFL Record for most consecutive made extra points to start a career? Some ridiculous number if I remember correctly...

Yeah, but it's a "what have you done for me lately league" ... Lindell hasn't kicked a FG like in over 7 months ... get him outta here! Wait, no TDs from Trent, Lee, Marshawn either in over 7 months ... WTF?!?

Lindell misses a lot of 4th quarter kicks that would make a lot of difference in close games. I say we try to bring somebody in that could be better.

This guy is tsill probably just camp fodder

Yeah, but that's more of an interesting tidbit than anything. Kickers don't make their money from the 2 yard line, they make it from the 40 yard line.

It makes no difference to me whether our kicker makes 100% or 99.5% of his extra points.

Lindell misses a lot of 4th quarter kicks that would make a lot of difference in close games. I say we try to bring somebody in that could be better.

This guy is tsill probably just camp fodder

Lindell has been fairly consistent, but he has also missed some clutch kicks. I'm more concerned about his leg strength. Kicking a 55-yarder is not even an option like it is with many other teams. I would like to see some serious competition brought in and may the best man win.

I still have not heard anything about how well Urrego has kicked in practice. Does he have a stronger leg than Lindell? Is he nailing 55-yarders in practice? Is he as accurate as Lindell? The media will certainly tell us about every catch every receiver makes, but no word on the kickers at all.

I still have not heard anything about how well Urrego has kicked in practice. Does he have a stronger leg than Lindell? Is he nailing 55-yarders in practice? Is he as accurate as Lindell? The media will certainly tell us about every catch every receiver makes, but no word on the kickers at all.

That in itself should tell you there's not much of a competition.

That in itself should tell you there's not much of a competition.

True! Either that or no one really gives a hoot about it. I can understand that. I'd be watching the offense and the defense, too, if I were present instead of watching the kickers. I just don't share the opinion that we are all set at the Kicker position. If we need a 55-yarder to win a key game against the Patriots and we don't have a guy who even has a chance, then I think the position needs to be upgraded. I'm not saying the guy is a bum. He's been very consistent over the years, but he has missed some very, very clutch kicks over the past 3 seasons and he cannot be relied upon for the long kick, so I'm just saying I think some serious competition needs to be brought in and not just annual "camp fodder". Whatever -- I know -- the topic is a big YAWN.

And yet he choked when it mattered.....Against Cleveland he could have had the winning points if he makes a FG that was shorter than what Dawson nailed......Especially considering it was a home game for the Bills....

I saw Lindell hit the game winning kick two years ago in Washington....but that is the only game winner I remember.

place-kickers during mandatory and voluntary minicamps generally practice away from the rest of the team. it's mostly a function of time and space. the practices are limited to 90 minutes and, though special teams take up a portion of all practices, they're mostly limited to -- at this point at least -- to going over coverage and return schemes.

it's not until training camp where we usually see the place-kickers work on their game.

that said, urrego, was unable to attend many of the minicamp sessions because of portland state's late exam schedule. he has been here this week.

jw

NOTE: i generally refer to them as minicamps (voluntary or mandatory) and not the awkward "organized team activities." in my book, anything -- a team luncheon, a team-sponsored bowling tournament, a barbecue at lee evans' house -- could literally fall under ota as the event is organized, it involves the team and it's an activity.