Bicycle question: roller vs. coaster rear brakes

I've searched, but I haven't found a satisfactory explanation of the differences between roller and coaster brakes, and relative pros and cons. Seems that the coaster is more weather-resistant.

I am considering two models for my wife. Fenders and chain guard are a requirement. I'm planning for having a transportation device for coming hyper-inflationary times.

Biria EZ Boarding Series - EB Top 3, with coaster brakes.

http://www.biria.com/bicycles/eb/eb_top_3.jsp

and

Biria Classic Dutch Ladies’ 19", with roller brakes.

http://www.biria.com/bicycles/cd/cd_ladies_19.jsp

In another life, I used to work for a bicycle manufacturer and part wholesaler. Unfortunately it was before roller brakes became popular so I can't really speak to their pros/cons.

Honestly, I would recommend going to your local dealer for the Birias. Mom & Pop bike store owners are generally a good group of guys and are straight shooters. They know all the ins and outs as they sell the bikes, service the bikes and ride themselves. It is in their blood.

General mark up on a bicycle is about 35%, so feel free to wheel and deal a bit as well.

EDIT: Keep in mind bike shop owners are NOT in the business to get rich. They certainly aren't making a killing by marking up 35% on bikes. Some may negoticate price a little, others may not.

In another life, I used to work for a bicycle manufacturer and part wholesaler. Unfortunately it was before roller brakes became popular so I can't really speak to their pros/cons.

Honestly, I would recommend going to your local dealer for the Birias. Mom & Pop bike store owners are generally a good group of guys and are straight shooters. They know all the ins and outs as they sell the bikes, service the bikes and ride themselves. It is in their blood.

General mark up on a bicycle is about 35%, so feel free to wheel and deal a bit as well.

+1

Go to your LBS (local bike shop) and talk to a sales rep. Tell them your needs, what youre going to use the bike for, etc.

STAY AWAY from chain stores, Target and the like, for bicycles.

I really don't know enough about roller brakes to comment on them. But I do ride quite a bit and I would suggest getting her something with more than 3 speeds. Even if she stays strictly on the pavement,she will find only having 3 speeds VERY restrictive. Get her something with at least 10 speeds. It will make riding much more comfortable.

EDIT: Keep in mind bike shop owners are in the business to get rich. They certainly aren't making a killing by marking up 35% on bikes. Some may negoticate price a little, others may not.

Yes - that is my plan.

I really don't know enough about roller brakes to comment on them. But I do ride quite a bit and I would suggest getting her something with more than 3 speeds. Even if she stays strictly on the pavement,she will find only having 3 speeds VERY restrictive. Get her something with at least 10 speeds. It will make riding much more comfortable.

Yes - the more speeds the better. But I am seeking reliable braking relatively unaffected by weather, or rim condition. This will be a low-miles device, not a daily rider. The disc brake option cost doesn't warrant such low usage. This bike is meant to be a (hopefully) infrequent means of transportation.

I have come across coaster/roller brake models with 7 or 8 speeds, but they are of significantly high cost.

I found this on bikeforums.net -

A coaster brake is a backpedaling brake, which you probably already knew. The roller brake works rather similarly to a drum brake on a car, the primary difference is that the roller brake uses metal-metal contact for stopping instead of a brake pad (Hence why they warn about keeping it greased). The roller brake is actuated like any normal rim brake.

Hope it helps.

Yes - the more speeds the better. But I am seeking reliable braking relatively unaffected by weather, or rim condition. This will be a low-miles device, not a daily rider. The disc brake option cost doesn't warrant such low usage. This bike is meant to be a (hopefully) infrequent means of transportation.

I have come across coaster/roller brake models with 7 or 8 speeds, but they are of significantly high cost.

Youre going to have to do A LOT of riding in really BAD conditions to affect the rims.

I wore through a few pairs of rims, but thats on a mountain bike I raced and trained on which had a few thousand miles of HARD, fast riding on them.

Disc brakes are THE way to go. For OFFROAD riding. Forget hydraulics, though. Too pricey. But many bikes are coming with mechanical discs which work VERY well and arent too expensive. But its not a decision driver for the casual rider. All in all, dont sweat the brakes...like I said....you got to ride a lot under really adverse conditions before brake performance becomes an issue. To illustrate this, pro roadies still use plain-old rim brakes.

Cincy, I love coaster brakes. Unfortunately, I haven't had a bike with those for many, many years.

While you are looking at Biria, you might want to look at some Electra bikes, as well. They make very comfortable, attractive bikes at for a reasonable price, IMO.

I own a Townie 7-speed and it's perfect for an old fat guy with a bad back. And unlike several similar bikes I test drove, the Electra is very maneuverable and is faster than it looks.

http://www.electrabike.com/home.php

What type of weather are you planning to send her out in???

What type of weather are you planning to send her out in???

Weather changes. Sometimes the weather you go out in isn't the weather you find yourself in.

Cincy, I love coaster brakes. Unfortunately, I haven't had a bike with those for many, many years.

While you are looking at Biria, you might want to look at some Electra bikes, as well. They make very comfortable, attractive bikes at for a reasonable price, IMO.

I own a Townie 7-speed and it's perfect for an old fat guy with a bad back. And unlike several similar bikes I test drove, the Electra is very maneuverable and is faster than it looks.

http://www.electrabike.com/home.php

Thanks. They look like real nice bikes, their euro 8i model is in the 1K price range.

That 8i has f&r disc brakes, 8 speeds. Neat.

Their Townie 3i looks to be in the $500 or less range, but without fenders and rear rack.

The Biria Easy Boarding Comfort Bike EZ Top 3 also in that range, but has the fenders/rack.

Youre really off on your choices here.

First off, Id stay away from the Electras. They are beach cruisers, as are most of the bikes youre looking at.. So unless your plan is to just have her mosey around at 5 MPH on a beach boardwalk..like the name implies, then you need to go in another direction.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/

Look under their "urban" or "bike path" categories.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkS...n.jsp?ssid=09MS

Their Vita and Sirrus lines look good.

Again...head to a REAL bike shop and tell them EXACTLY where and when and how much you plan to ride. Throw out all your notions about fat seats, straight upright riding positions with huge handlebars, chainguards and coaster brakes. ALL of those things IMPEDE performance and comfort. NONE help.

Youre really off on your choices here.

First off, Id stay away from the Electras. They are beach cruisers, as are most of the bikes youre looking at.. So unless your plan is to just have her mosey around at 5 MPH on a beach boardwalk..like the name implies, then you need to go in another direction.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/

Look under their "urban" or "bike path" categories.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkS...n.jsp?ssid=09MS

Their Vita and Sirrus lines look good.

Again...head to a REAL bike shop and tell them EXACTLY where and when and how much you plan to ride. Throw out all your notions about fat seats, straight upright riding positions with huge handlebars, chainguards and coaster brakes. ALL of those things IMPEDE performance and comfort. NONE help.

You have totally misinterpreted the kind of bike I seek for my wife.

I hope that economic conditions are such that she will NEVER have to use it. If she does, it will simply be a cargo transport device that is superior to toting goods by foot. 3 speeds are fine, fenders keep the spray away, and a rack is a must - either OEM or as an added accessory.

A coaster brake serves well. I am interested in a pack mule for pavement when autos can't get fuel - nothing else.

One of those $139 chicom jobs would fit the bill. But I'm aware of their long history of recall due to niceties like frame and handlebar failures on the road. I won't purchase danger, leave her with potential danger.

My wife is a pretty fair mechanic - I've taught her to be so through the years by involving her in this or that home and auto repair, but my preference is to leave her with something not dependent on caliper brake adjustment or fiddling with Derailleur gearset complexity.

I bought a new bike 3 years ago, and seriously considered an Electra...at REI. Those folks known their bikes, and are just as helpful as any small local store. And REI has some sort of employee ownership thing so the employees actually care... they want repeat business I ended up buying a Specialized Hardrock at a local store. Now I kind of wish I had bought the cruiser, just so much more comfortable and I was probably optimistic about how much offroad I was going to do.

A year later I bought my wife an REI "house" brand bike, and it is just as well made as my Specialized.