Rex Ryan discusses what the Jets will be doing this year.

What's neat is that its not personal with Ryan (I don't think) which elevates it to a higher level than the Mangini-BB feud and the players will buy into it this time IMO.

Ryan is just very matter of fact about it, but extremely confident, about what the J-E-T-S are gonna do.

I think they will really beat each other up...good for us!

Rex Ryan already has predicted the Jets will win a Super Bowl in the next three years and yesterday on the radio declared, "I didn't come here to kiss Bill Belichick's rings."

I remember another highly-regarded DC coming in and blustering about all the damage his team would do in the AFC East a few years back...how did that turn out again?

Rex Ryan already has predicted the Jets will win a Super Bowl in the next three years and yesterday on the radio declared, "I didn't come here to kiss Bill Belichick's rings."

I guess he's trying to guarantee himself at least a three year stay. Buddy only got two years in his stint with the Cardinals.

The Rex-a-Roarus said this when the Jets hired him...

"My dad's considered one of the greatest defensive minds in the league. I'm not there yet," the son said. "But I want to be a better head coach than my dad. I'm not afraid to say it."

"I think our fans are part of our defense in particular," he said. "Obviously, they're a part of our whole team, but you can see the value of your fans in how you play defense at home. I bring this up because I'm excited about this opportunity. This is going to be great. This is a great marriage. The style of defense we're going to play with our fans — whoooo, it's going to be rough on people."

Full story here.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/917-...a-fans-head-on-

I remember another highly-regarded DC coming in and blustering about all the damage his team would do in the AFC East a few years back...how did that turn out again?

The problem with Williams was his inability to adapt to the strengths of his personnel. He continually tried to get players to do things they simply weren't capable of doing.

I don't think Ryan is cut from the same cloth but it'll be interesting to see if he can translate that defensive "mentality" to another team. Marvin Lewis hasn't been able to.

Unless he is dramatically different than his father, and brother, I don't think Rex will be an effective NFL HC. Buddy and Rob were/are both giant meatheads. Sometimes a position coach, or coordinator, can be a meathead and succeed. These days, NFL HCs have to be a little bit smarter.

Just my opinion, of course.

Yikes, just saw clips of Ryan on NFL Live. I'm glad our coach doesn't behave that way. Funny he mentioned Obama, the two seem to have a habit for sound bytes. So far Obama's accomplishments don't live up to his talk...

Also, Herm Edwards is a joke.

Unless he is dramatically different than his father, and brother, I don't think Rex will be an effective NFL HC. Buddy and Rob were/are both giant meatheads. Sometimes a position coach, or coordinator, can be a meathead and succeed. These days, NFL HCs have to be a little bit smarter.

Just my opinion, of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by meathead...............but Buddy Ryan was a SMART Coach & was responsable for the BEST Defense in the NFL maybe of all time with the Bears.

I'm not sure what you mean by meathead...............but Buddy Ryan was a SMART Coach & was responsable for the BEST Defense in the NFL maybe of all time with the Bears.

As I said, sometimes a guy like that can be a good coordinator. Ryan was a great DC. He wasn't a particularly good HC, though. Rob seems even more abrasive than his dad. I don't know all that much about Rex. He might be a little bit better with people.

Again, just my opinion.