Obama to nominate far-left Sonia Sotomayor to SC

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life." -- Judge Sonia Sotomayor, in her Judge Mario G. Olmos Law and Cultural Diversity Lecture at the University of California (Berkeley) School of Law in 2001

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/...090523_2724.php

i have no clue what is that "national journal" but they're very good at spinning things from nothing!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life." -- Judge Sonia Sotomayor, in her Judge Mario G. Olmos Law and Cultural Diversity Lecture at the University of California (Berkeley) School of Law in 2001

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/...090523_2724.php

If you don't think that gender, ethnicity and background affects your POV and judgment and decisions, even as a Supreme Court judge, you're insane.

In a perfect world perhaps it wouldn't. In this world, no matter how hard any of them try, it is impossible.

The belief that latinos are better decision makers than white people is nothing?

Let's imagine my english teacher in high school asked me to make a synthesis of that sentence

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

and i answered

"latinos are better decision makers than white people"

my grade: F

I look forward to conservatives publicly voicing opposition to a Hispanic woman who grew up in the projects, was previously appointed to the bench by George Bush I, and was previously approved by a number of Republicans in the Congress for her appointed court positions. The war of words between the Hatch/McCain/Powell moderate Republicans and the RNC (Rush/Newt/Cheney) conservative Republicans will be interesting. Conservatives don't like activist judges unless they're active in cases such as reversing Roe vs Wade, Terry Schivo, blurring the lines between church and state, and torture. Keep shrinking that Republican "big tent".

Let imagine my english teacher in high school asked me to make a synthesis of that sentence

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

and i answered

"latinos are better decision makers than white people"

my grade: F

Are you dumb? She is saying that latinos have more richness of experience than white people, and therefore they make better judges.

I look forward to conservatives publicly voicing opposition to a Hispanic woman who grew up in the projects, was previously appointed to the bench by George Bush I, and was previously approved by a number of Republicans in the Congress for her appointed court positions. The war of words between the Hatch/McCain/Powell moderate Republicans and the RNC (Rush/Newt/Cheney) conservative Republicans will be interesting. Conservatives don't like activist judges unless they're active in cases such as reversing Roe vs Wade, Terry Schivo, blurring the lines between church and state, and torture. Keep shrinking that Republican "big tent".

Did you seriously call reversing Roe v Wade activism? The original decision was activism. There is STRONG judicial precedent for the government to have legal authority over our bodies. I agree that abortion should be legal, but it isn't a "right".

Are you dumb? She is saying that latinos have more richness of experience than white people, and therefore they make better judges.

and you? are you dumb?

Can you imagine with what kind of social backgrounds a judge, daily, has to deal with? Don't you think it's important for a judge to know what kind of struggles, issues, lives the people he or she is judging may have? Does a typical white male judge from an Ivy school has any idea of what the people he judges everyday are dealing with?

Of course a latina who grew up in the Bronx has a lot more chances to understand what is really behind the cases she may have to judge than a middle class white male from a small town! It's not racism it's common sense!

and you? are you dumb?

Can you imagine with what kind of social backgrounds a judge, daily, has to deal with? Don't you think it's important for a judge to know what kind of struggles, issues, lives the people he or she is judging may have? Does a typical white male judge from an Ivy school has any idea of what the people he judges everyday are dealing with?

Of course a latina who grew up in the Bronx has a lot more chances to understand what is really behind the cases she may have to judge than a middle class white male from a small town! It's not racism it's common sense!

No, it doesn't matter. Judges don't make policy, and that is fundamental to the establishment of the judicial branch. I think white people make better judges because they aren't as biased as latinos.

and you're the perfect example of the non biased white man!! :pirate::ph34r::lol:

I wasn't serious, you twit. Ever notice how justice is wearing a blind fold? Yeah, it's not about empathy.. it's about applying the constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor

Widely considered a political centrist by the American Bar Association Journal and others Sotomayor was nominated on November 27, 1991, by President George H. W. Bush to a seat on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York vacated by John M. Walker, Jr.

Cheese and Rice you are a fcking ret@rd.

Go spew your nonsense to the other people in your group home.

Dude, you quoted from Wikipedia. No matter what entity edited that, it doesn't make it true.

And I wouldn't exactly tout GHWB as being any kind of hallmark in determining a judge's position on the spectrum. He, who nominated Souter.

The old axioms are axioms for a reason.

1) Don't believe much of what you read

2) Don't make simple assumptions

I wasn't serious, you twit. Ever notice how justice is wearing a blind fold? Yeah, it's not about empathy.. it's about applying the constitution.

That representation of Justice is probably the most stupid symbol used in the western civilisation. Judging people is about the most difficult job i can think of , and you'd better be eyes and ears wide open doing it!!

That representation of Justice is probably the most stupid symbol used in the western civilisation. Judging people is about the most difficult job i can think of , and you'd better be eyes and ears wide open doing it!!

You understand nothing of the US judicial system then.

By your logic a latina from the bronx would be less competent to judge rural issues, or corporate issues.

It's not racism, it's common sense.

Actually, she wasn't saying that. She was talking about wise people and unwise people, wise men and wise women, people that have had rich experience and those that haven't, which is why she said "wise Latinas" versus "white males without that experience." She probably should have been more clear. The speech is pretty interesting, if you read the thing, and see what she was talking about. I don't think she should have said that sentence that way though. It's too easily cherry-picked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/polit...ml?pagewanted=1

Dude, you quoted from Wikipedia. No matter what entity edited that, it doesn't make it true.

And I wouldn't exactly tout GHWB as being any kind of hallmark in determining a judge's position on the spectrum. He, who nominated Souter.

The old axioms are axioms for a reason.

1) Don't believe much of what you read

2) Don't make simple assumptions

Really? Thanks for the heads up. I assumed everything on the interwebs was teh truf! :pirate:

Sarcasm aside, if you have a problem with that source, rather than say "uh wiki sucks" perhaps you would care to refute any of those points? Perhaps a source citing her record as a judge that shows her to be decidedly not a centrist? Or maybe a link showing that G.H.W.B, never nominated her for anything?

Regarding the nomination from Bush I being a litmus test, when Souter was nominated he was considered to be quite the conservative.

You understand nothing of the US judicial system then.

Did not know the philosophy of the US judicial system was to judge people like they are simple objects with no background...

In fact i thought that the US judicial system like most anglo saxon tradition justices was much more based on the interpretation and the circonstances of the facts than on the strict application of the written law (as opposed to the latin tradition justices that love to have written laws for about everything)