• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Led Zepplin - Zepplin IV

(Just couldn't believe that the thread was this long and no one else had been a smart ass :wallbash: )

Seriously though, how about: Bob Dylan - Infidels and Lyle Lovett and his Large Band

Everyone's going with the same music here, someone needs to change it up...

The Chronic - Dre

Country Grammar - Nelly

Black on Both Sides - Mos Def

FutureSex/LoveSounds - JT

Yeah, those are underrated...

Also underrated: Jesus.

let me climb on my high horse and explain, and expose myself as a music snob (as my wife likes to refer to me) and step on numerous toes and musical affections. by mainstream idiocy, i can't understand how The Clash made it big on the radio with Rock the Casbah and were relatively, but not completely, overlooked for London Calling.

i don't understand how Soul Asylum and Social Distortion, though two good bands, earned more airplay than the 'Mats.

i don't understand how REM finally made it big with One I Love, and not with many of the superior songs and albums that preceded it.

i do understand but fail to entirely comprehend how cookie-cutter bands such as creed and nickleback made it big and The 'Mats did not.

it wasn't altogether marketing and it wasn't altogether the devil (aka, clearchannel) and the greedhead suits in some offices in arizona formatting safe and easy playlists for the masses to consume.

the 'Mats had their faults of their own, and they were noble ones. they were oft-times fall-down-drunks, had a remarkable knack for making fools of themselves when they had opportunities to make it big, and particularly rebelled against the corporate gurus when they were forced to tour with petty in an attempt by the record company to show The Replacements how professionals tour.

the response, the 'Mats spent most of the tour drunk.

though there are those that would knock the band for failure, i go the other direction. they, in many, embodied the true spirit of rock and roll, rebelling for no reason except for the fact to rebel, and sticking their finger in the air no matter who was looking.

they were, i've written before, beautiful losers.

and i'd challenge anyone to pick up Let it Be, Tim or Please to Meet Me and not find most of the songs still relevant today, and capable of blowing away any of the dave matthews band baloney that's been played for most of this past decade.

jw

:lol::flirt:

Everyone's going with the same music here, someone needs to change it up...

The Chronic - Dre

Country Grammar - Nelly

Black on Both Sides - Mos Def

FutureSex/LoveSounds - JT

:lol: The only one that may belong on there is the Mos Def mention, as he is known more for his "acting" than his music outside of the hip hop community.