After being 5-1 last season, did you think the AFC east was ours?

I thought at that point they were a 10-6 team with a great shot at the playoffs. I was at the game in Miami and left thinking something wasn't right. I still had fun.

I was there as well. It was cloudy that whole game, which was great and we had a blast as well. We ate at Morton's the night before and loved the food.

Did you fall for it? Playoffs or bust?

I was pretty happy they bounced back well against the Chargers at home after that blow out loss to the Cards the week before. I was not convinced they had clinched the division or even a playoff spot however, because the NFL is a 16 game marathon. Teams seem to go on 4 game winning streaks and 4 game losing streaks in the same season every year.

Anybody remember the 2004 Bills? Somehow they got hot and won 6 straight games to almost make the playoffs until they lost the last game of the year to the Steelers at home.

So no, Skooby, I did not think the Bills had won squat at 5-1-0. Honestly though, I never saw the third straight

7-9-0 coming at 5-1-0 either. I was pretty much thinking 9-7-0, or maybe 10-6-0.

Exactly, and that's why I'm not at all optimistic about this year. But we'll see.

When you look at the six division games from last year, the only one we didn't have a chance in was at NE. We should have and/or could have won the other five games against the division. We are flat out better than Miami and the Jets. I'd be surprised if we don't go 4-2 this year.

Optimism reigns.

GO BILLS!!!

Seriously, SKOOB, are you just in need of attention or did you just fall off the football turnip truck?

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, like this thread is elbowing aside another thread containing crucial Bills-related info. If only we could see thread #11, then the world would be alright. What's wrong with this thread. It is the doldrums. There is absolutely nothing going on. What is wrong with stuff like this? We're i n the middle of the ocean on our sailing ships and there hasn't been a breath of wind for weeks.

I was close after the San Diego game. But I was very aware of the W-L record of the teams we had beaten. So no, I didn't think the Bills had yet shown that they were a good team.

Did you fall for it? Playoffs or bust?

Hey Skooby, let me save you the trouble of starting some new "what if" threads:

1. What would have happened if Fergy played on a good ankle against SD in the 1981 playoff game? What if that game was in Buffalo had the tie-breaker system considered that we beat SD head-to-head during the seaon? Would Buffalo had appeared in the Super Bowl sooner?

2. What would have happened in Miami's perfect season if Mercury Morris' fumble against the Bills actually been ruled a fumble instead of a dead ball? No perfect season for the Dolphins and no 20-game winning steak for the Dolphins against the Bills.

3. What if Ralph and Lou could see eye-to-eye? He could've been our Tom Landry, Don Shula, or Chuck Knoll and taken us to many championships.

4. What if Ryan Lindell doesn't miss a couple of key kicks the past few seasons effectively ending our playoff hopes at least two of the last three seasons?

5. What if Ronnie Harmon catches that pass in the end zone against the Browns?

6. What if the Music City Miracle was ruled a forward lateral? Do we return to the Super Bowl?

7. What if Ralph & Bill Polian could see eye-to-eye? Our star GM would still be here instead of with the Colts.

8. What if Jauron knew when to use the red flag and when not to?

9. What if Jauron had some balls now & then to go for it on 4th down?

10. What if our Super Bowl teams actually reduced their partying for a couple of weeks leading up to the big game?

11. What if James Lofton falls to us in the 1978 draft instead of Green Bay?

12. What if Ralph didn't let Ahmad Rashad get away after 1975, thus earning the "cheap-skate" label?

13. What if we actually paid coaches a competitive salary in line with most of the rest of the league?

It goes on-and-on. There, I just saved you the trouble of posting 13 new "what if" threads. I'm sure if I tried I could come up with some more, but what's the point?!

OK, any chance we can focus on the 2009 season?

I'd rather focus on the upcoming season. Edwards is our QB, Brandon is our GM, Jauron is our HC. This is 2009 and asking all of these "what if" questions is meaningless. Imagine how one, just ONE Super Bowl victory makes all of these painful memories pale! I like how the 2009 Bills are coming together. There's no reason this is not a playoff team and we all know DJ is gone if it's not a playoff team. This is likely the only year we get to have TO on our roster. This is the year we return to the playoffs -- and once there anything can happen.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. The team fell apart when the schedule got harder last season, the reason was depth / talent. We fielded a group of problems in different areas were led by coach on all on the playoffs or bust theme. We didn't make the playoffs but there was no bust. The coach and a majority of the assists stayed.

Those of you that want to forget the past must realize as fans and even the players can draw strength from it. Falling down all the time happens because we never took the steps necessary to go forward. We have no real back-up QB, a suspect pass rush and a patchwork-in progress O-line.

You want to focus on the 2009 season, go ahead. I want the team to focus on fixing what's I feel is left wrong. The team / coaches read this board and they see these posts. The smarter posters will follow my logic, the less than mentality focused one's will be confused. Why I post is, to express my disapproval of some unfinished business and to give credit when the team moves in the right direction.

We are 3 / 4 players away from a possibility of post-season play unless a few of the guys we have now step up and play over their head. We might get a few of them to do as such but the odds are against all of them fitting the bill. You don't want the season to start right now, nor focus on it yet. I can't take another 7-9 season and 10 years of no chance to win it all makes me sick, it's time for a few more improvements.

/ rant.

I'd rather focus on the upcoming season. Edwards is our QB, Brandon is our GM, Jauron is our HC. This is 2009 and asking all of these "what if" questions is meaningless. Imagine how one, just ONE Super Bowl victory makes all of these painful memories pale! I like how the 2009 Bills are coming together. There's no reason this is not a playoff team and we all know DJ is gone if it's not a playoff team. This is likely the only year we get to have TO on our roster. This is the year we return to the playoffs -- and once there anything can happen.

Where did you get that from? Did Ralph Wilson tell you personally that he will eat two years of Dicks contract if we don't make the playoffs? I could see this team going 7-9 and keeping Jauron. There never was a $4 million dollar playoffs or bust guarantee.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. The team fell apart when the schedule got harder last season, the reason was depth / talent. We fielded a group of problems in different areas were led by coach on all on the playoffs or bust theme. We didn't make the playoffs but there was no bust. The coach and a majority of the assists stayed.

Those of you that want to forget the past must realize as fans and even the players can draw strength from it. Falling down all the time happens because we never took the steps necessary to go forward. We have no real back-up QB, a suspect pass rush and a patchwork-in progress O-line.

You want to focus on the 2009 season, go ahead. I want the team to focus on fixing what's I feel is left wrong. The team / coaches read this board and they see these posts. The smarter posters will follow my logic, the less than mentality focused one's will be confused. Why I post is, to express my disapproval of some unfinished business and to give credit when the team moves in the right direction.

We are 3 / 4 players away from a possibility of post-season play unless a few of the guys we have now step up and play over their head. We might get a few of them to do as such but the odds are against all of them fitting the bill. You don't want to season to start right now, nor focus on it yet. I can't take another 7-9 season and 10 years of no chance to win it all makes me sick, it's time for a few more improvements.

/ rant.

I think Brandon has done a fine job this offseason in addressing needs. True, we won't really know until the season gets underway as to how well he did, but for starters:

1. I like the o-line -- a LOT. I actually think the o-line will be a strength this season. They are also a very intelligent bunch. We needed a new center and we picked up a guy from Carolina who his teammates hated to see leave. He selected two draft picks who will help the o-line immediately.

2. Hamden has been in the system a few years now -- he knows what to do. He's got good size, a good arm, and a good attitude. I don't know what else you can ask for from your backup. In is few preseason opportunities, he has looked very sharp. I think he should be #2 on the depth chart. Fitz improved all last season -- his first real season of work.

3. We needed a pass rusher and Brandon addressed this by taking Maybin. Schoebel will be healthy this year. Maybe even Chris Ellis will start to contribute.

4. We needed another big time receiver across from Evans and Brandon went out and got us TO.

5. We needed a decent pass-catching TE and Brandon took Nelson. Sure, would have loved to see the Bills go and get Tony Gonzalez, but maybe he didn't want to be here -- who knows.

6. Instead of letting the Fred Jackson thing be a distraction during the OTAs and training camp, he got the deal done -- LEARNING possibly from last year that doing the Evans deal in mid-season was a distraction -- probably got players thinking about their own paychecks a little bit more and about the opponent a little bit less. The offseason is the time to get deals done and he's doing that now.

7. He got rid of the dead weight on the o-line. Despite Peter's physical abilities, I'm kind of thinking you want the guys who keep your QB alive to have a Wonderlic > 9.

I call all of this learning from mistakes and addressing team needs. You only get so many picks and so much you can do under the cap. He's done a great job with what he's had to work with -- fantastic really.

Finally, you've got to give Edwards some credit. He WANTED TO. In other words, Edwards is essentially challenging HIMSELF to produce. He's inviting a guy who has a history of getting in the face of his QB's in the past. Edwards is finally stepping in and really assuming a leadership role. He knows it's time to produce now and he's up to the challenge.