Maybin looking rough in OTA's?

The problem with a lot of these guys is that they're in such a rush to be the first to post news, they often-times don't care if they get it right. Look at Vic Carucci's report that the Pats were going to get Peppers for the 34th overall pick.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If his 1st step is that fast, the rest must be pretty damn slow, because a 4.89 40 for a 240 lb man is not that "explosive". It's not that I have a lot of support for Orakpo, it's that I think he is a much better player. He was one of the best players in the country (actually voted the best defensive player in the country) in one of the best conferences in the country. Maybin racked up some sacks in one of the worst passing conferences in the country. I just think Orakpo does everything better than Maybin, played against far better competition and is going to be a much better player in the NFL.

Maybin had 12 sacks in 2008 as a red-shirt sophomore, while Orakpo had 11.5 as a senior, so obviously he doesn't do everything better than Maybin.

Terrell Suggs ran a 4.88 40.

Now go ahead and crawl back into your hole.

If his 1st step is that fast, the rest must be pretty damn slow, because a 4.89 40 for a 240 lb man is not that "explosive". It's not that I have a lot of support for Orakpo, it's that I think he is a much better player. He was one of the best players in the country (actually voted the best defensive player in the country) in one of the best conferences in the country. Maybin racked up some sacks in one of the worst passing conferences in the country. I just think Orakpo does everything better than Maybin, played against far better competition and is going to be a much better player in the NFL.

That sentence alone automatically brings into question your credibility.

Maybin may end up being a bust, but it won't be because he ran a 4.89 40.

On the other hand, if he ends up being a good to great player, it'll be largely due to the fact he can run the first 10 yards faster than anyone else on a D line.

Learn what 'explosive' means relative to various positions and how that translates to what coaches need to see.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybin had 12 sacks in 2008 as a red-shirt sophomore, while Orakpo had 11.5 as a red-shirt senior, so obviously he doesn't do everything better than Maybin.

Terrell Suggs ran a 4.88 40.

Now go ahead and crawl back into your hole.

Fixed it for you. :unsure:

I am pretty sure you could find many articles saying how mean and nasty Mike Williams looked during OTA's and looked how that worked out. Maybin won't light up the world in his rookie year anyway. I just want him to get 5 or more sacks and pressure the QB a good amount. Pass rushers take a year or two to develop so keep your expectations of Maybin realistic for this season.

Another good thing to keep in mind about Maybin is that I look to see if he could still be explosive and effective with the extra weight he added for the draft.

Bruce Smith was not very good the first week of training camp either folks.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article, I'm more interested in Chris Browns' comments about Maybin's quick first step and ability to get off the line of scrimmage. :unsure:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article, I'm more interested in Chris Browns' comments about Maybin's quick first step and ability to get off the line of scrimmage. :unsure:

Yeah, but that's all he can do is get off the LOS. After that, he slows down. Just look at his crappy 40 times. You want that from a DE?

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but that's all he can do is get off the LOS. After that, he slows down. Just look at his crappy 40 times. You want that from a DE?

GO BILLS!!!

Luckily its not 40 yards from the LOS to the Quarterback. :unsure:

FWIW, Orakpo's also almost two years chronologically older than Maybin--turns 23 in July and Maybin turned 21 in April. At 21, Maybin may still have some physical growth in him, unlike Orakpo. My hope (and the Bills' FO, I'm sure) is that Maybin will gain15-20 pounds naturally as he matures physically, while not losing his speed or strength to body size ratio. If so, we may have gotten a steal here.

I agree with the other folks above on first year DE's taking a bit to get things. Remember, Mario Williams, probably a Pro Bowler for the next 5-10 years had something like 4 sacks his first year. If Maybin can get 5 or 6 this year in limited playing time, that's a great season, IMHO....

This article is totally spot on. I mean, I am a complete failure as a father and a deadbeat dad even thought I don't have kids yet. But you can just tell I'll be an unmitigated disaster as a parent. I thank PFT for allowing me to come to this realization.

FWIW, Orakpo's also almost two years chronologically older than Maybin--turns 23 in July and Maybin turned 21 in April. At 21, Maybin may still have some physical growth in him, unlike Orakpo. My hope (and the Bills' FO, I'm sure) is that Maybin will gain15-20 pounds naturally as he matures physically, while not losing his speed or strength to body size ratio. If so, we may have gotten a steal here.

I agree with the other folks above on first year DE's taking a bit to get things. Remember, Mario Williams, probably a Pro Bowler for the next 5-10 years had something like 4 sacks his first year. If Maybin can get 5 or 6 this year in limited playing time, that's a great season, IMHO....

As I've mentioned before, when Orakpo was showed-up as a redshirt sophomore, he weighed 238#. As a redshirt junior, he weighed 250#. Last year he was 263#. There's no reason to think that Maybin, who is taller (albeit by a half an inch), can't add on abuot 10-15# more to his frame.

Yeah, you know so much about Orakpo to think he is a much better player......................................but you don't even know his name? You were calling him Orakbo.........................go to a Pats* board where your lack of knowledge won't be noticeable