Why isn't there equality for all 32 teams to host the Super Bowl?

I know the obvious reason is the weather factor but that hasn't stopped the conference championship games from being played in cold/inclement weather. Make it equal for ALL teams. I think that warm weather teams have a distinct advantage when it comes to playing in a controlled or warm climate.

I know that it's useless to suggest it but some of the greatest games were played in cold weather. How great would it be for a city like Buffalo to host a Super Bowl? Add in that they are a small market and revenue like this would really boost their economy. I don't want to see the Bills become a dome team but that would be the only shot of them hosting such a game. It would take away our tradition and make us a different type of team. Teams like the Packers, Bears, Steelers, Browns and yes, the Bills have forged an identity for themselves as a cold weather team. Why should we change on who we are and also not be eligible for such an honor? We are all part of the same league, we should all be entitled to the same right and revenue.

Cold weather teams and cold weather have contributed to what made the NFL. When the league talks about playing a Super Bowl overseas to globalize it just really flabbergasts me. It's an american game, keep it where it belongs and that is in the United States. Play it in ALL the cities that has a franchise instead of letting other countries earn this money. Our country is on hard economic times, how about keeping the money in house and helping out the country that MADE you the conglomerate that you are?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first there's the weather. New Orleans, Phoenix, Miami, Texas, etc in January vs Buffalo, NY in January. Uh, when's the last time it was warm in Buffalo in January?

Second think of it as a business conference. When work is done, let's go see the sights. In Buffalo in January we can see snow...snow...snow...and our hotel room because it's too cold to go outside the hotel

It is not just dome for Buffalo. A great deal of it is the lack of hotels not just for fans attending games but press, marketers, staffs, etc who go to city during period between end of playoffs and Superbowl. Even Jacksonville needed to have cruise ships anchored off coast to have Superbowl.

If you do not believe me look at how many hotels are full just on Memorial Day weekend.

I know the obvious reason is the weather factor but that hasn't stopped the conference championship games from being played in cold/inclement weather. Make it equal for ALL teams. I think that warm weather teams have a distinct advantage when it comes to playing in a controlled or warm climate.

I know that it's useless to suggest it but some of the greatest games were played in cold weather. How great would it be for a city like Buffalo to host a Super Bowl? Add in that they are a small market and revenue like this would really boost their economy. I don't want to see the Bills become a dome team but that would be the only shot of them hosting such a game. It would take away our tradition and make us a different type of team. Teams like the Packers, Bears, Steelers, Browns and yes, the Bills have forged an identity for themselves as a cold weather team. Why should we change on who we are and also not be eligible for such an honor? We are all part of the same league, we should all be entitled to the same right and revenue.

Cold weather teams and cold weather have contributed to what made the NFL. When the league talks about playing a Super Bowl overseas to globalize it just really flabbergasts me. It's an american game, keep it where it belongs and that is in the United States. Play it in ALL the cities that has a franchise instead of letting other countries earn this money. Our country is on hard economic times, how about keeping the money in house and helping out the country that MADE you the conglomerate that you are?

This has got to be the STUPIDIST post ever, but give who posted it is this a surprise?

probably not.

Simple answer for a simple question.

It's about making money! The NFL is first and foremost and always will be a business. Business is never about equality.

Think of your job or your high school days. Was there or is there equality in these experiences? No.

There really are only about 7-8 cities that truly provide the business environment needed to generate the Super Bowl which is more a week long cultural event to promote a city and tourism than it is a football game. Yes...weather is a major factor as well. This is why cities like Los Angeles and Orlando will always be under consideration. And, this is why large or popular cities such as Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Dallas, or New Orleans will also receive consideration.

Unfortunately, the city of Buffalo isn't one of the cities that can provide such an atmosphere; therefore, the Super Bowl will never be held in Buffalo for at least the next 25 years.

There is no such thing as equality in life. There is also no such thing as equality in what city hosts the Super Bowl.

Hey Skoob you accidentally logged in as Tipster before you posted this.

Isn't it enough that our beloved Bills lost 4 in a row?

Why set us up for more embarrassment?

I can see it now.......

It's early February in Buffalo, the superbowl is played in Orchard Park - where they have enough hotel rooms for maybe 5000 people. A blizzard comes off the lake and dumps 40 inches of snow along the lakefront. The 50ish wife of a Houston area CEO has her game ticket in her fur coat, but she may not make it if the rental car won't start. The locals from the southside suggest that she should wait for an NFT bus and "pogey" to the stadium.

How many times would they repeat that story on ESPN?

We're talking here about a city that's been "planning" a waterfront project for 30 years and can't even manage to build a goddamned bridge to go across the Niagara River.

It's about making money! The NFL is first and foremost and always will be a business. Business is never about equality.

Think of your job or your high school days. Was there or is there equality in these experiences? No.

There really are only about 7-8 cities that truly provide the business environment needed to generate the Super Bowl which is more a week long cultural event to promote a city and tourism than it is a football game. Yes...weather is a major factor as well. This is why cities like Los Angeles and Orlando will always be under consideration. And, this is why large or popular cities such as Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Dallas, or New Orleans will also receive consideration.

Unfortunately, the city of Buffalo isn't one of the cities that can provide such an atmosphere; therefore, the Super Bowl will never be held in Buffalo for at least the next 25 years.

There is no such thing as equality in life. There is also no such thing as equality in what city hosts the Super Bowl.

Yet Detroit, Indianapolis (2012) and Minneapolis host Super Bowls while Chicago, Washington, and NYC do not. And it's not like Phoenix, Tampa, and Dallas are exciting cities--they're just monstrous suburbs, is all. (I guess Tampa has the water. Phoenix and Dallas?) It has a lot more to do with the weather (or lack thereof, in a dome) than the culture.

They should just play it in Las Vegas every year. Plenty to do, good weather, and no one bitches that they don't get a chance to host it.

This has got to be the STUPIDIST post ever, but give who posted it is this a surprise?

probably not.

It is a pretty dumb post.

Do you really not understand the concepts of climate, hotel capacity and logistics?

Hey Skoob you accidentally logged in as Tipster before you posted this.

I started reading the post before I noticed the poster and actually thought it was Skooby.

Also weather is the reason cold cities won't be considered but it isn't the weather during the game that is a factor. It is the weather conditions in regards to people traveling to the city that make it a no brainer. You just can't have a few million extra people (ok that probably *is* an exaggerated estimate) suddenly get snowed in at Buffalo. It would be a logistical nightmare and a potentially dangerous situation.

I started reading the post before I noticed the poster and actually thought it was Skooby.

Also weather is the reason cold cities won't be considered but it isn't the weather during the game that is a factor. It is the weather conditions in regards to people traveling to the city that make it a no brainer. You just can't have a few million extra people (ok that probably *is* an exaggerated estimate) suddenly get snowed in at Buffalo. It would be a logistical nightmare and a potentially dangerous situation.

Minneapolis, Detroit....

Nope, it's the game weather, not travel conditions.

probably not.

I can't resist replying to your stupid reply to a good question. I've oft thought about this meself. The answer 'why not' is in deed infrastructure & making money, but that can/could be dealt with (as long as moron NY legislators could be kept at bay). If a city has an NFL team, each city should be on rotation to be rewarded with the Big Game. If Buffalo were to host a SB, you might see some additional winter activities come to town.

There's another answer as well... look at the crowd at the Super Bowls... the seats are packed with pansies, movie stars, and millionaires who simply can't hack much of a climate beyond a red carpet and silver spoonful of caviar from the spoon they were born with. Very few REAL PEOPLE can afford or get invited to the SB. Its disgusting to cater to these people.

I went to that SB in Minneapolis and the NFL experience was empty all week until the weekend,even then on the weekend it was still pretty thin compared to Miami, Tampa, Pasadena and Arizona.

The warm weather cities will always get big game as nobody wants to get caught in a snow storm on their way to a SB. I treat it as a vacation and enjoyed it for a week. Although I enjoyed Minnesota, I'm fairly certain that most only flew in for the game and then left as soon as it was over.

Yep. I would bet the NFL would even publicly admit that. Certainly owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder have essentially admitted as such more than once.

If hosting the Super Bowl was opened up to "cold" weather teams, Buffalo would be mighty low on the list of potential destinations:

1. Chicago
  2. New York
  3. New England
  4. Philadelphia
  5. San Francisco
  6. Denver
  7. Washington
  8. Green Bay
  9. Seattle
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Baltimore
  12. Kansas City