(OT) Plumbing help

Fezmid

We seem to have a plumbing problem in our house today (and possibly for the past few days). In our upstairs bathroom, we noticed that the bowl was leaking, apparanlty through a bolt that loosened. Not sure how long it's been going on.

Well, I tightened it up and it appears to not be leaking right now best I can tell. However, while using the bathroom on the first floor, a few drops of water dripped on me. Apparantly the water leaked so much that it went through the 2nd floor and was getting the first floor basement wet. The water was dripping through the exhaust fan (sounds dangerous to me...) The drywall around the fan is also a bit wet; not soaking wet, but it is wet.

So, what do we do? If we assume that the water is really from the toilet (I don't see how it was losing that much water; we never heard it refill by itself), and the toilet has been fixed, should we just wait and let the ceiling dry out? This is our first home and we're really pretty clueless about this sort of thing (and most homeowner type things... :P ).

Home ownership is really overrated... ;)

CW

Fez...

double check the water lines leading INTO the toilet to make sure there are no pin hole leaks there...

if you can't find the source of the leak...dry up as much as possible and see if it gets worse...if it does get worse, you need someone to help you-it could be very complicated and dangerous.....put a dry towel behind the toilet and check on it after 10-15 mins....if you cant find the source, don't let the water to continue to leak....down in your basement there will be a water shut off (trace it back from your water meter)...turn off the water pressure if you must so someone can look at it for you. Water can be VERY damaging if let running overnight...you may have to tear down a sheet of drywall if there is a leak in a water supply line in the wall...

owning a home does suck sometimes.....I would suggest buying yourself a home improvement/fix it book, they are very helpful....go to home depot/lowes, they have a nice book that shows almost anything you might need to know....

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...ID=9876&pos=n16

don't be afraid of getting your hands dirty....its how you learn...maybe you don't fix everything but you'll get a better picture on things....

Good luck...alot of home improvement/fix it projects are not complicated when you look at them closely.....it can be fun,frustrating and very satisfying when you actually fix something on your own.....

I wish you luck and remember....do not let the leak to continue overnight....you can do it....YOU CAN DO IT!!!

the only bolt I can think of on a toilet is the bolt that holds the bowl to the flange. If that was lose, it is likely that the leak occured because the wax gasket separated from the toilet. You would not see it because it would only leak when flushed. the water is leaking through the fan as it runs over the drywall seeking the easy way out, bet you toiled and fan are in the same joist hole. I would pull the whole bowl off and replace the gasket asap. the water will eventually soak the drywall and cause you all kinds of grief.

the only bolt I can think of on a toilet is the bolt that holds the bowl to the flange.  If that was lose, it is likely that the leak occured because the wax gasket separated from the toilet.  You would not see it because it would only leak when flushed.  the water is leaking through the fan as it runs over the drywall seeking the easy way out, bet you toiled and fan are in the same joist hole.  I would pull the whole bowl off and replace the gasket asap. the water will eventually soak the drywall and cause you all kinds of grief.

104327[/snapback]

FYI -- the bolt I was talking about was connecting the toilet tank to the toilet bowl. There's three bolts holding them together, and water was definately coming out of the back bolt because it was loose. That's not to say that there aren't other problems though...

CW

FYI -- the bolt I was talking about was connecting the toilet tank to the toilet bowl.  There's three bolts holding them together, and water was definately coming out of the back bolt because it was loose.  That's not to say that there aren't other problems though...

CW

104337[/snapback]

If the leak is from the reservoir to the bowl, turn off the water, drain the reservoir and remove it. Clean the porcelain where the bolts mount. Probably just some new screws, washers and/or perhaps a gasket will fix that leak.

Try this:

toiletology 101

Start at the top. A picture is worth a thousand words.  :w00t:

104655[/snapback]

Thanks - I was looking through that site a lot yesterday. :)

On the bright side, there doesn't appear to be any more leaking after I tightened the bolt that connects the bowl to the tank. No more water coming out of there, and no more water dripping from the exhaust fan in the first floor basement. Now we have to decide whether we need to tear the ceiling out and replace part of it that got wet (only a 1'x1' area), or if it'll dry out and not be noticable. I'm guessing that we'll replace it, but I might wait until I get the drywallers here that are going to do my basement.

CW

Thanks - I was looking through that site a lot yesterday. :w00t:

On the bright side, there doesn't appear to be any more leaking after I tightened the bolt that connects the bowl to the tank.  No more water coming out of there, and no more water dripping from the exhaust fan in the first floor basement.  Now we have to decide whether we need to tear the ceiling out and replace part of it that got wet (only a 1'x1' area), or if it'll dry out and not be noticable.  I'm guessing that we'll replace it, but I might wait until I get the drywallers here that are going to do my basement.

CW

104703[/snapback]

If the drywall is wavy or dimpled, get rid of it, that generally means it was saturated enough to where mold might be a problem.

If it's still smooth, hit Home Depot and pick up some sealer for it. It will prevent the water stain from coming back through the paint. Spray that on, and after that dries (20 mins or so), go ahead and paint over it.

...Or you could always wait til the sheetrock guys come to work on your basement and have them do it! :)

Try Home Depo. Some of those people are really knowledgeable.

104665[/snapback]

gee thanks.....you made me ruin my keyboard when i sprayed orange crush all over it from laughing so hard when i read this post.

<_<:lol::lol: