• RJ
    • JP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

Is there a couch anywhere in America that "coaches" a guy into believing that there is an infinite amount of time he can stand there and hold the ball?

didn't understand it myself...but I remember seeing that years ago...our QB coach at the time, Steve Kragthorpe, relayed it to the media

I went with RJ on this just because neither of them put together a particularly great season, so I think of better games. The game where RJ took the job away from Flutie against the Colts was one of the more impressive games I've seen from a Bills Qb. Also, say what you want, but he walked off the field a winner against the Titans in that playoff game.

All of JP's great games consisted of great long balls to Evans, but not a great overall game.

Now, if you are asking me which one I personally like better, then it's JP all the way.

You are aware that the Colts game you speak of was against a Colts team that had already locked up the division and wasn't really playing for anything, right?

It seems like there is some revisionist history in this thread arguing that Rob Johnson was not all that bad. The thing to remember is that not only was Johson bad at avoiding the rush, he was historically bad. By a wide margin, the very worst in the history of the league. His career sack percentage was an unbelievable 14.8!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnRo00.htm

By comparison, statue-man Bledsoe was in the 6's (Marino in the 3's), Losman 9.9. Johnson understood that taking a sack never had an impact on the QB rating and consequently always built up a respectable to good rating.

Avoiding sacks is just one area of a quarterback's overall performance. It's an area in which Losman and Johnson are both very weak; with Johnson being (as you point out) even worse than Losman. But just because Johnson was the worse of the two at avoiding sacks, does not mean he was the worse QB overall.

Johnson averaged 7.2 yards per pass attempt with a QB rating of 83.6. Losman averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt with a QB rating of 75.6. You might point out that in Johnson's case, both numbers are a little inflated because he doesn't get penalized for taking a sack. But the same could be said about Losman's numbers, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree.

Moreover, long bombs to Evans can do a lot to increase a QB's yards per attempt and passer rating stats. Defenses have since learned to take those long bombs away from Losman. This past season, Losman averaged 5.6 yards per pass attempt.

In his last season with the Bills, Johnson averaged 6.8 yards per pass attempt. (And bear in mind that in 2001, Johnson was playing behind an absolute disaster of an offensive line.)

Avoiding sacks is just one area of a quarterback's overall performance. It's an area in which Losman and Johnson are both very weak; with Johnson being (as you point out) even worse than Losman. But just because Johnson was the worse of the two at avoiding sacks, does not mean he was the worse QB overall.

Johnson averaged 7.2 yards per pass attempt with a QB rating of 83.6. Losman averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt with a QB rating of 75.6. You might point out that in Johnson's case, both numbers are a little inflated because he doesn't get penalized for taking a sack. But the same could be said about Losman's numbers, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree.

Moreover, long bombs to Evans can do a lot to increase a QB's yards per attempt and passer rating stats. Defenses have since learned to take those long bombs away from Losman. This past season, Losman averaged 5.6 yards per pass attempt.

In his last season with the Bills, Johnson averaged 6.8 yards per pass attempt. (And bear in mind that in 2001, Johnson was playing behind an absolute disaster of an offensive line.)

All other factors being equal, JP is 3.5 times more likely to do better than Johnson, who was beaten for the NJ Giants' 3rd-string QB spot by none other than Jared Lorenzen.

To me it is an easy choice. Both of their results on the field were eerily similar, but Losman never disrespected the city or the fans, but just the opposite. Johson lived as close to the airport as he could so he could fly out of Western New York as soon and as often as possible. Gotta be J.P., which is the lesser of two evils.

All other factors being equal, JP is 3.5 times more likely to do better than Johnson, who was beaten for the NJ Giants' 3rd-string QB spot by none other than Jared Lorenzen.

That is a little bit of a flawed statement. Although he did get beaten out by Lorenzen for the 3rd, he was at the tailend of his career & was coming off of shoulder surgery. With that being said, after being cut by the bills, Johnson got a 2nd chance(tampa), a 3rd chance(washington) & a 4th chance with the Giants. As everyday goes by getting closer to training camp, it looks more & more likely that Losman is not even going to get that 2nd chance.

To me it is an easy choice. Both of their results on the field were eerily similar, but Losman never disrespected the city or the fans, but just the opposite. Johson lived as close to the airport as he could so he could fly out of Western New York as soon and as often as possible. Gotta be J.P., which is the lesser of two evils.

You pick who is better by who liked the city more & where they lived? Man, our standards for qb play have dropped since the kelly days.

Other than not living in Buffalo year round (which seems to be the new litmus test for QB's, but TO gets a pass?) what exactly did Rob Johnson do to disrespect the fans of Buffalo or the city?

My vote was simple. I remeber back in 03' I believe it was when the Chargers were at the Bills and RJ went down and seperated his shoulder and we all cheered as Flutie came in and won the game. Hate RJ to this day.

neat trick since that was Bledsoe's 2nd season on the team...neither of those other 2 losers were here nor did we play the Chargers that year

That is a little bit of a flawed statement. Although he did get beaten out by Lorenzen for the 3rd, he was at the tailend of his career & was coming off of shoulder surgery. With that being said, after being cut by the bills, Johnson got a 2nd chance(tampa), a 3rd chance(washington) & a 4th chance with the Giants. As everyday goes by getting closer to training camp, it looks more & more likely that Losman is not even going to get that 2nd chance.

Good point. I'll add that Johnson was on the tail end of a ten year career. Losman's career seems to be winding down after his fifth year in the league.