Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity

Well, it would allow a decent offense to arrive in town one year earlier than it would if wait for another year of failure before we are willing to admit the obvious.

We just ditched the equivalent of three starters off the offensive line. So if you are hoping to avoid the pain of rebuilding, too late, we are already rebuilding. Unfortunately, we are using the same architects that already built one house of cards.

Really good point

Most Bills fans just don't get the fact that the rookie O line coach did a poor job last season and now is faced with 2 rookies and a backup FA at center, nobody knows who the starting RT is ATM.

The really sad thing this is we know who will be playing LT and he should stay at RT because he can actually be a really good RT.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good point

Most Bills fans just don't get the fact that the rookie O line coach did a poor job last season and now is faced with 2 rookies and a backup FA at center, nobody knows who the starting RT is ATM.

The really sad thing this is we know who will be playing LT and he should stay at RT because he can actually be a really good RT.

Walker could be a serviceable RT - IF he lost about 50 lbs.

Now he is just fat and slow but the best we have at the moment,.

would not surprise me if Bell ends up at LT sooner rather than later after Walker tanks there against all of the speed rushers he will face this year.

Here's a little news flash: it's not bad coaching that has caused the Bills to lose. It's bad playing. Period. The Bills aren't good. For posting 7-9 records with the personnel that was on the field during those seasons, DJ should be hailed as brilliant. That's all there is to it. You can't blame the Bills suck on anything except for the fact that they just suck. Hopefully they finally have enough talent to compete this year, so let's just see what happens.

Here's a little news flash: it's not bad coaching that has caused the Bills to lose. It's bad playing. Period. The Bills aren't good. For posting 7-9 records with the personnel that was on the field during those seasons, DJ should be hailed as brilliant. That's all there is to it. You can't blame the Bills suck on anything except for the fact that they just suck. Hopefully they finally have enough talent to compete this year, so let's just see what happens.

Now, why would you say that to the mass of Bills fans who sleep better thinking that this team's biggest problem is coaching?

Dick Jauron is the perfect scapegoat for all the homers. BEASTMODE! A team wins consistently in the NFL when they have a very good quarterback or a dominant defense and running game. The Bills don't have the players to make up for the fact that Trent has been subpar. Dick Jauron has always had complete garbage at the Qb position, except for mediocrity with Trent. Belichick was a career loser until Brady. It's all about the Qb in the NFL and Trent doesn't have it or he hasn't found it yet. The offense is so horrid it's not even funny.

This could be the year that people forget about the JP Losman stink left on the team. Trent either steps up his game or we are looking for a new Qb and coach.

The Fins did it in one AND went from last to first.

And you figure that had nothing to do with having the first draft choice and picking an excellent LT, and also picking up an FA QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has problems throwing in windy climates because of serious arm strength issues and having him play in Miami?

To me, what they did is they had a much much easier schedule and greatly improved their personnel. Particularly at QB. The coaching (basically the Wildcat) won them, what, one or two games. And none this year, I'm betting.

And you figure that had nothing to do with having the first draft choice and picking an excellent LT, and also picking up an FA QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has problems throwing in windy climates because of serious arm strength issues and having him play in Miami?

To me, what they did is they had a much much easier schedule and greatly improved their personnel. Particularly at QB. The coaching (basically the Wildcat) won them, what, one or two games. And none this year, I'm betting.

Why does it matter how they did it? They did it. I know this is real difficult for people to understand but try anyways. I was responding to a poster who said that gutting the team and starting over was a setback.

You can hail Dick Jauron as being brilliant all you want, the real fact is the guy is a perennial loser.

He has had 3 years of drafting and bringing in free agents and this last season with Tom Brady on IR the entire year and you still want to blame it on talent. The fact that Jauron doesn't know good talent from bad

If that "coaching" wins one or two extra games I will take it. That the difference between a winning and losing season.

Could not disagree more.

This is one terrific article.

To me, you missed out on two of the excellent points this article made.

1) Maybe I just missed this bit of news, but I didn't know that Ralph Wilson wanted some changes among the assistant coaches this year, but Jauron nixed the idea for continuity's sake. Did you guys know this?

"Ralph Wilson, the owner of the Bills, wanted some changes to the staff this offseason, but because of head coach Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity, no changes were made."

This quote stuck out like a sore thumb.

With all the changes we have seen this off season, this will be Jauron's swan song as a HC. Ralph just handed DJ the rope he will swing by.

Excuse time is over.

If that "coaching" wins one or two extra games I will take it. That the difference between a winning and losing season.

IMO, nothing less than a playoff appearance is good enough in 2009. Some would argue that merely having a winning record is satisfactory, but it's not. Jauron's three inept seasons are enough for most NFL teams to can a HC, although in Buffalo it's rewarded. That sort of thinking must end, but it'll only go away when RW sees fans leaving.

If a team has a playoff drought longer than 30 out of 31 other NFL teams in play since the late 90s, that's plain abysmal.

Keeping Jauron and his "continuity" increased pressure on the franchise to levels DJ cannot attain. The public expectation is and should be to get into the playoffs, which is the same as last year.

I've said it many times before: More Bills fans need to take notice of what successful teams are doing. Imitating those teams is not necessarily a bad thing. Watching Parcells with the Dolphins and Dimitroff for the Falcons succeed without prime talent and name coaching should force every fan to expect more from their team.