Holmgren anyone?

I like Holmgren, but honestly, DJ wont be fired this year because we will win 10+ games this year as long as Trent doesnt blow it. If Trent steps up finally, then we will be a 10+ win playoff team. If Trent stinks up as bad as last year, then we will surely be looking for a QB in 2010 and it will be a 50/50 shot we retain DJ. Depends on how much blame Ralph puts on him or on Trent not getting it done in that scenario. If Trent steps up and we still miss playoffs then DJ is surely gone.

I would take Hoolmgren, Shannahan, or Cowher if we made a coaching change, I just dont think we will because I really feel we make the playoffs this year. I really like TO and Nelson additions for Trents game...not just because they are play makers (well at least TO is so far), but because they give him big underneath targets which is where Trent likes to throw.

I think we have enough talent to make the playoffs and the only reason we will possibly miss the playoffs is because of the coaching staff. I don't believe Dick Jauron will ever be successful here. I would give anything for Bill Coweher or Mike Shannahan to come to Buffalo. This is a sh------- situation for Bills fans. We can either make the playoffs with lame duck head coach DJ or we can have another unsuccessful season and pray that the front office delivers us a better coach. At least they backed their promise on bringing us more talent this year!

No, I don't want him for the simple reason that if we were replacing Jauron that would mean that the 2009 season went terribly arry.

Agreed (except that it is "awry").

But, in the event DJ is canned, there looks to be a better than usual chance for the Bills to get a decent, experienced HC, next year. So far, it seems as though Cower, Shanahan and Holmgren will be available, and who knows who else might be around?

The Bills don't have much of a history of hiring successful/big-name HCs. I suspect some of that has to do with those guys having choices and choosing to go elsewhere. And yes, Ralph has been hesitant to pay big bucks for a HC in the past, but I expect that some of that has to do with guys wanting MORE from the Bills than they accepted from other teams. I doubt Ralph wants to pay a premium/penalty for a coach to get him to come to Buffalo.

But, if these three (and more?) are available, the market may be perfect for the Bills to come away with a prized experienced, and successful, NFL coach.

Some pretty good points all around. First one that sticks out to me is why would Ralph consider paying big money for a head coach when he hasnt in the past. Well I firmly believe that Ralph is sick of losing and if he were to scrap the coaching staff all together why not pay the money one last time to see if it works.

I also believe that any coach Ralph may bring in would possibly be the GM as well. Holmgren, Shannahan, Cowher, and possibly Gruden fit this mold.

Either way we look at it. If DJ is done after this season there is a pretty decent shot we can have an experienced HC next season. There seemed to be a record number of coaches that were axed this year so I dont think teams that just picked up a HC will be in the market so soon. That pretty much eliminates the following teams:

NY Jets

Cleveland

Detroit

Seattle

San Francisco

Indianapolis

Denver

Kansas City

Tampa Bay

St. Louis

Then you can pretty much eliminate the obvious teams that we can almost guarentee wont be taking a new HC due to previous years record and previous coaching records:

New England

Pittsburgh

Tennessee

NY Giants

Arizona

Baltimore

Then theres teams that most likely wont be taking a HC unless hell freezes over and everything goes wrong in 09:

Miami

Jacksonville

San Diego

Philly

Atlanta

Carolina

New Orleans

So that leaves the following teams as possible new HC's in 2010:

Buffalo (if they have a sub .500 year)

Cinci (if they fail to make the playoffs)

Houston (if they have a sub .500 year)

Oakland (Cable was just brought on as HC so unless he screws up royaly)

Dallas (IMO Wade is gone)

Washington (if they have a sub .500 year)

Chicago (if they dont make the playoffs)

Green Bay (if they have a sub .500 year)

Minnesota (if they have a sub .500 year, possibly if they dont make the playoffs if they get Favre)

I think that would leave some pretty good options for us at HC in 2010 if DJ fails again. Im sure Dallas will have a new HC and it might be any one of the 4 big names out there. Im on the fence about everyone else.

Your thoughts?

Holmgren is way too old to take over the task of rebuilding the team. Even if we could get him (We won't too much money) He seems like at most to be in it for a Bill Parcels like run of take a team for 2-4 years squeeze out as many wins and hopefully a title.

If this team goes 8-8 or 9-7 and we loose 2-3 games because of DJ's bad decision making than I could see Ralph firing DJ because of fan reaction and the fact that DJ cost us the playoffs. If that was the case than I could see a guy like Holmgren coming in and riding the hot hand and seeming like a hero for getting the team into the playoffs.

But it won't happen anyway so don't worry about it.

Holmgren is way too old to take over the task of rebuilding the team.

Which would make the Bills an ideal situation for him, as the team has plenty of young talent and isn't in need of being rebuilt...it has already been rebuilt.

I don't think he ends up in Buffalo, but it won't be because the team needs to be rebuilt.

No way we bring in a marquee head coach/executive. After the Donahoe experience, Ralph will never again relinquish control of the team. Ralph likes to dabble in the operations and would never allow a Parcells-type executive to freeze him out ever again. In addition, Ralph doesn't have a track record of paying coaches. To refresh everyone's memory again...2008 NFL Head Coach salaries:

Mike Holmgren Seattle Seahawks NFC West $8,000,000

Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos AFC West $6,000,000

Jeff Fisher Tennessee Titans AFC South $5,500,000

Lovie Smith Chicago Bears NFC North $5,500,000

Bill Belichick New England Patriots AFC East $5,000,000

Tony Dungy Indianapolis Colts AFC South $5,000,000

Tom Coughlin New York Giants NFC East $4,250,000

Jon Gruden Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC South $4,000,000

Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles NFC East $3,500,000

John Fox Carolina Panthers NFC South $3,000,000

Gary Kubiak Houston Texans AFC South $3,000,000

Norv Turner San Diego Chargers AFC West $3,000,000

Sean Payton New Orleans Saints NFC South $3,000,000

Mike Smith Atlanta Falcons NFC South $3,000,000

Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers NFC North $3,000,000

Wade Phillips Dallas Cowboys NFC East $3,000,000

Tony Sparano Miami Dolphins NFC East $3,000,000

John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens AFC North $3,000,000

Jim Zorn Washington Redskins NFC East $3,000,000

Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals AFC North $2,750,000

Mike Nolan San Francisco 49ers NFC West $2,500,000

Eric Mangini New York Jets AFC East $2,500,000

Ken Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals NFC West $2,500,000

Jack Del Rio Jacksonville Jaguars AFC South $2,500,000

Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers AFC North $2,500,000

Scott Linehan St. Louis Rams NFC West $2,000,000

Herm Edwards Kansas City Chiefs AFC West $2,000,000

Romeo Crennell Cleveland Browns AFC North $1,750,000

Rod Marinelli Detroit Lions NFC North $1,500,000

Dick Jauron Buffalo Bills AFC East $1,500,000

Brad Childress Minnesota Vikings NFC North $1,250,000

Lane Kiffin Oakland Raiders AFC West $1,250,000

That's right. Jauron was the 30th highest paid coach last year. It's rumored that his 3 year extension pays closer to $2 million per year which still leaves him as one of the lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. IMO the Bills will never pay the money needed to bring in a top notch, proven, head coach...it doesn't matter how many of them are looking for work. Even rookie head coaches make more money than Jauron.

Yeah. You're right. If DJ goes 7-9 again why would we want Holmgren to take his place on the side line with that shiity HOF record of his. :thumbsup:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HolmMi0.htm

Because his best days are behind him. Instead of recycling old coaches, how about finding good new coaches?

PTR

I like Holmgren, but honestly, DJ wont be fired this year because we will win 10+ games this year as long as Trent doesnt blow it. If Trent steps up finally, then we will be a 10+ win playoff team. If Trent stinks up as bad as last year, then we will surely be looking for a QB in 2010 and it will be a 50/50 shot we retain DJ. Depends on how much blame Ralph puts on him or on Trent not getting it done in that scenario. If Trent steps up and we still miss playoffs then DJ is surely gone.

I would take Hoolmgren, Shannahan, or Cowher if we made a coaching change, I just dont think we will because I really feel we make the playoffs this year. I really like TO and Nelson additions for Trents game...not just because they are play makers (well at least TO is so far), but because they give him big underneath targets which is where Trent likes to throw.

I hope that you are right I would love to see the Bills in the playoffs this year. I just think that they are a draft away from doing so and the young lineman they got in this years draft need some time to learn thier new positions. But that being said I think this team is headed in the right direction. :worthy: