If the Bills Fire Jauron mid season?

O.k. its no secret that most Bills fans are down on Jauron after his sub par coaching over the last three years. Now the first question I have is at what point do you fire Jauron? I think if they go 1-4 or 2-6 you pull the plug and start over. Now the question is who do you replace him with? Do you hire a guy like Gruden to try and give him time to evaluate the players on the roster or do you promote from within and see who is available during the offseason? If you do that than who do you hire.

THe pressure is definetly on Jauron fast and furious..with no excuses (injuries etc... the sign of a good coach is overcoming adversity in whatever form it comes in) The problem with switching coaches, there's also the GM position, I would love to see the Bills get Bill Cowher or Gruden.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just because you've been a fan doesnt mean you know what you are talking about and it's clearly showing

Sigh...

'Just because' is usually a pretty bad argument. Like I said, check back in week 10 rather than taking my comment like a slur against your mother. Particularly when you wanted DJ fired in past posts.... :cry:

Actually, Bobby April is a guy I'd like to see get a chance, if he'd want to, to run a team. Special Teams encompasses the whole team, and he sees and interacts, and gets to perform at a high level, a bunch of guys. His track record is impressive, and, if you've ever heard him talk or read his quotes, he's a very intelligent guy. What do you think?

If Jauron gets fired mid-season Bobby April would be the head coach, he is assistant HC right now.

If the team plays well under April Id say give him 3 years, I think he has earned the chance.

But this is WAY TO EARLY to even think about this right now. Maybe we can redo this thread during the bye week.

I have a wait and see attitude about this year, lets see if Jauron has learned from his mistakes in the past but his history says he not change his style.

The people clamoring for a marquee head coach haven't looked at the Bills history. There's about 50 years of proof that Ralph Wilson will not shell out big money for a head coach. In addition, most of the guys mentioned (and yes these are delusions) are guys that will want total to near total control. These coaches will also more than likely insist on improvements to the Bills' practice facilities, etc. There would be huge turnover in staff, including the releasing of employees under contract to the Bills. Ralph never has and never will do a major restructuring nor will he give total authority to one man ever again. I believe he said as much after the firing of Tom Donahoe. Ralph likes to be involved and will not hire anyone who tries to freeze him out the football operations. There is 5 decades of history telling us this.

Most of all, Ralph is a cheapskate. Here's the salaries of NFL head coaches for the 2008 season:

Mike Holmgren Seattle Seahawks NFC West $8,000,000

Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos AFC West $6,000,000

Jeff Fisher Tennessee Titans AFC South $5,500,000

Lovie Smith Chicago Bears NFC North $5,500,000

Bill Belichick New England Patriots AFC East $5,000,000

Tony Dungy Indianapolis Colts AFC South $5,000,000

Tom Coughlin New York Giants NFC East $4,250,000

Jon Gruden Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC South $4,000,000

Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles NFC East $3,500,000

John Fox Carolina Panthers NFC South $3,000,000

Gary Kubiak Houston Texans AFC South $3,000,000

Norv Turner San Diego Chargers AFC West $3,000,000

Sean Payton New Orleans Saints NFC South $3,000,000

Mike Smith Atlanta Falcons NFC South $3,000,000

Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers NFC North $3,000,000

Wade Phillips Dallas Cowboys NFC East $3,000,000

Tony Sparano Miami Dolphins NFC East $3,000,000

John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens AFC North $3,000,000

Jim Zorn Washington Redskins NFC East $3,000,000

Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals AFC North $2,750,000

Mike Nolan San Francisco 49ers NFC West $2,500,000

Eric Mangini New York Jets AFC East $2,500,000

Ken Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals NFC West $2,500,000

Jack Del Rio Jacksonville Jaguars AFC South $2,500,000

Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers AFC North $2,500,000

Scott Linehan St. Louis Rams NFC West $2,000,000

Herm Edwards Kansas City Chiefs AFC West $2,000,000

Romeo Crennell Cleveland Browns AFC North $1,750,000

Rod Marinelli Detroit Lions NFC North $1,500,000

Dick Jauron Buffalo Bills AFC East $1,500,000

Brad Childress Minnesota Vikings NFC North $1,250,000

Lane Kiffin Oakland Raiders AFC West $1,250,000

That's right. Jauron was the 30th highest paid coach last year. It's rumored that his 3 year extension pays closer to $2 million per year which still leaves him as one of the lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. IMO the Bills will never pay the money needed to bring in a top notch, proven, head coach.

That's right. Then you will also have "bottom of the barrel" coordinators, both in stature and salary. There are several offensive and defensive coordinators in the league that make more than RW is willing to pay a HC.

Sigh...

'Just because' is usually a pretty bad argument. Like I said, check back in week 10 rather than taking my comment like a slur against your mother. Particularly when you wanted DJ fired in past posts.... :cry:

the argument ended a few posts ago when I corrected your misinformed statement

and when did I say I didnt want Jauron fired? He is a horrible head coach that should have been fired a long time ago

The topic was would Ralph fire Jauron or any other head coach during the season not what you or I would want to happen...try and keep up next time

McNally was the best, he took a FA tight end and turned him into the best left tackle in the NFL. What most people don't realize is one of the biggest factors in getting an O line to play well is simply continuity. Constantly changing positions every year results in lack of continuity and missed assignments. If McNally had a free hand in building that line he would have drafted instead of free agents.

The entire point of my post was to point out the O lines poor last year was more then likely because of the rookie line coach.

Jauron promoted from within rather then hire experienced offensive coaches, Schonert the OC and Kugler the line coach both rookies last year, and yet when he needs a defensive line coach he hires someone with experience.

Good luck on Ralph Wilson hiring an expensive head coach like Gruden,Cowher or Shanahan,the Bills prefer to hire kmart coaches like Jauron :cry:

Nothing you said points to Mcnally being the best. If you said he coached a mediocre line to having the best YPR in the NFL. That would be impressive. Transforming one player doesn't qualify him to be the best. Giants, Broncos, Panthers...teams that produce consistantly dominant running games - they have the best O-line coaches.

Our O-line sucked for the same reason our entire team sucks. Jauron, Fewell, Schonert, even the midget trainer. They all suck. And to your last point, they suck because Ralph Wilson wont open his wallet to bring in a top notch coach. We are like non-profits competing in a corporate world.

We pick players that fit into the non-profit football scheme. Im sick of these high character guys and lame ass coaches. You get what you pay for. Top talent draws top money.

Give me some blunt smoking, gun toting gang bangers with speed. I dont care what the players do as long as they win games.

God, Bills fans have become a bunch of losers. Firing coaches before the season ever starts??? Awesome. Go Bills. :cry:

Sorry to say this dude, I've read a lot of your posts and you are an unbearable over optimistic douche.

McNally was the best, he took a FA tight end and turned him into the best left tackle in the NFL

I think people give McNally a little too much credit for Peters and the player he turned out to be. Peters is a gifted athelete that played TE in college and the blocking assignments for a TE are not that much different then tackles so the move wasnt as dramatic as its made out to be. McNally helped obviously but I dont agree that he is the main reason or as big a reason Peters turned into the player he is. The talent on the Bills O-line wasnt good under McNally but you would think if he was "the best" or as good as some people claim that they would have played better then they did.

God, Bills fans have become a bunch of losers. Firing coaches before the season ever starts??? Awesome. Go Bills. :cry:

not so much firing coaches as it is just firing Jauron

Sorry to say this dude, I've read a lot of your posts and you are an unbearable over optimistic douche.

Rather be that than a whiny, female dog who spends their free time just trashing a team their a fan of. I apologize for not thinking the world is ending because the Bills went 7-9.

And I've forgotten more football than you know. But please continue with your B word fest.

P.S. Don't call someone a name you never say in person. Because if you knew me, you wouldn't.

P.P.S. I would mention something about your posts, but I don't even know who you are.

the argument ended a few posts ago when I corrected your misinformed statement

and when did I say I didnt want Jauron fired? He is a horrible head coach that should have been fired a long time ago

The topic was would Ralph fire Jauron or any other head coach during the season not what you or I would want to happen...try and keep up next time

Nah, I can see you're just too smart for me... :cry:

To me, Shanahan is RW's kind of guy and would make a very good fit in Buffalo, he understands how to deal with playing in adverse weather conditions and knows how to win a championship.

I would love to see Shanahan in Buffalo (though I am pretty sure it would never happnen, but I would have said the same about Terrell Owens), but what gives you the impression that Shanahan is "RW's kind of guy"? I would think the exact opposite. He is experienced, has a track record of success, and would want much more power than Ralph has ever been willing to give any coach before. Not to mention, the salary thing. No way Ralph Wilson will pay a coach the kind of salary that Shanahan will command. Don't forget, even after four Super Bowl appearances, Marv Levy was one of the lowest paid head coaches in the NFL at the time.

The closest that Ralph Wilson came to hiring anyone of a similar caliber, was Chuck Knox, thirty years ago. That did not end well...

I would love to see Shanahan in Buffalo (though I am pretty sure it would never happnen, but I would have said the same about Terrell Owens), but what gives you the impression that Shanahan is "RW's kind of guy"? I would think the exact opposite. He is experienced, has a track record of success, and would want much more power than Ralph has ever been willing to give any coach before. Not to mention, the salary thing. No way Ralph Wilson will pay a coach the kind of salary that Shanahan will command. Don't forget, even after four Super Bowl appearances, Marv Levy was one of the lowest paid head coaches in the NFL at the time.

The closest that Ralph Wilson came to hiring anyone of a similar caliber, was Chuck Knox, thirty years ago. That did not end well...

This is such a defeatist thread but I would agree that Shanahan would be an amazing choice as long as he is not the GM as well. He is one of the best offensive minds ever and could do wonders anywhere he went.

But there is plenty of time to speculate before a snap has ever been taken.

O.k. its no secret that most Bills fans are down on Jauron after his sub par coaching over the last three years. Now the first question I have is at what point do you fire Jauron? I think if they go 1-4 or 2-6 you pull the plug and start over. Now the question is who do you replace him with? Do you hire a guy like Gruden to try and give him time to evaluate the players on the roster or do you promote from within and see who is available during the offseason? If you do that than who do you hire.

Interim head coaches almost never do very well. Ralph has shown in the past that he believes this, and will do it only at last resort, basically when the coach has lost the team. And whatever else happens, Jauron will not lose the team, they love him.

He has also told Jauron that he wants to give him one last chance, including doing as much with player acquisition as he (reasonably) can to give him a chance. Ralph likes Jauron. Why would he say he will give him a chance and then not do it?

If they have a bad year, I would expect Jauron to be fired at the end of the year.

I think people give McNally a little too much credit for Peters and the player he turned out to be. Peters is a gifted athelete that played TE in college and the blocking assignments for a TE are not that much different then tackles so the move wasnt as dramatic as its made out to be. McNally helped obviously but I dont agree that he is the main reason or as big a reason Peters turned into the player he is. The talent on the Bills O-line wasnt good under McNally but you would think if he was "the best" or as good as some people claim that they would have played better then they did.

Dockery took a huge step backwards when Mouse left. Mouse is generally acknowledged as one of the all-time greats as a line coach. And while his time with the Bills didn't look great at the time, they performed worse after he left. Coaches can only look good if they have good players. It's no mistake that the Bills are now totally re-doing their line. They realized that they didn't have the horses, except for Peters and Butler and maybe Walker.

They didn't realize that earlier because Mouse got the absolute best out of them.

That's right. Then you will also have "bottom of the barrel" coordinators, both in stature and salary. There are several offensive and defensive coordinators in the league that make more than RW is willing to pay a HC.

That Head Coach pay list says it all IMO

Ralph will never learn. He got lucky with Marv when he came from KC

You get what you pay for and I believe Wilson is content with just filling the seats at his Stadium.

And we are suckers for filling it up 6 times a year for a sub-par product.

Question is.....

Do we love football SO MUCH that we are just happy to have a team in town and that's why we go and have a good time drink beer and tailgate?

Ladies and Gents, we are getting what Ralph pays for and he is cheap. So we get 7-9 each year and maybe again this year.

So why do we continue to give him our hard earned money ?

I love the Bills but I have not paid for a ticket since 2002.

And wont go back out until the team is worthy of my money.

Or at least until they can hire a Head coach that has some clout.

OK that all my rant for today but I had to get it off my chest.

Thanks for reading lol

Dockery took a huge step backwards when Mouse left. Mouse is generally acknowledged as one of the all-time greats as a line coach. And while his time with the Bills didn't look great at the time, they performed worse after he left. Coaches can only look good if they have good players. It's no mistake that the Bills are now totally re-doing their line. They realized that they didn't have the horses, except for Peters and Butler and maybe Walker.

They didn't realize that earlier because Mouse got the absolute best out of them.

I'm sorry but this is dumb. I could understand more if this was a young player. But Dockery has played 7+ years. He is a professional and blaming his sucking play on anyone but him is a total cop out.

And as pathetic as it is, this year's 25th ranking in offense is higher than any year the Bills finished under McNally.