Langston vs Speed Rushers.

I'm pretty sure that Langston Walker will be fine when facing the likes of Richard Seymour, Phillip Merling and Coleman. Which, by the way, are the defensive ends LW will be facing in the AFC East. These guys are 3-4 defensive ends and are bigger and stronger than DE's that play in different types of defenses, such as the 4-3. 4-3 defensive ends tend to have more speed and are smaller than their 3-4 counter parts.

My concern with LW's ability as a LT comes against Freeney, Mario Williams, and Julius Peppers. These guys will eat LW alive. The Bills better give Langston some serious help when facing these studs or it will be a long day for Trent.

Overall, the Bills face the 3-4 defense a total of eight times during the '09-10 season and the 4-3 the exact same amount of time. These eight games is what worries me most. I would love to see the Bills bring Levi Jones in for a looksie. Who knows, we might get lucky and find a stud.

I'm pretty sure that Langston Walker will be fine when facing the likes of Richard Seymour, Phillip Merling and Coleman. Which, by the way, are the defensive ends LW will be facing in the AFC East. These guys are 3-4 defensive ends and are bigger and stronger than DE's that play in different types of defenses, such as the 4-3. 4-3 defensive ends tend to have more speed and are smaller than their 3-4 counter parts.

My concern with LW's ability as a LT comes against Freeney, Mario Williams, and Julius Peppers. These guys will eat LW alive. The Bills better give Langston some serious help when facing these studs or it will be a long day for Trent.

Overall, the Bills face the 3-4 defense a total of eight times during the '09-10 season and the 4-3 the exact same amount of time. These eight games is what worries me most. I would love to see the Bills bring Levi Jones in for a looksie. Who knows, we might get lucky and find a stud.

If the interior of the line is better than last year and does not collapse in the center than our QB will have the confidence to step up in the pocket and that will help greatly against the speed rush. Someone was circulating a piece of film on Walker on this board where he was beaten to the outside on a rush and gave up a sack. It happened to be one of the few times that the center of the line held their blocks. Edwards did not step up to help the situation and he got sacked. I would suggest that the reason he did not step up is because he lacked confidence in the center of the line.

In my opinion the sack might have been avoided if he stepped up in the pocket. Walker can be beaten to the outside but the 3 step drop and help from the center of the line will help them greatly. The offense that they will run is not as demanding on the LT position.

In 3-4 defenses, the defense often lines up a speed-rushing LB outside the DE. Miami's Joey Porter, for example. Our LT will end up blocking that guy a decent proportion of the time, especially if they think the guy can get around Walker.

In 3-4 defenses, the defense often lines up a speed-rushing LB outside the DE. Miami's Joey Porter, for example. Our LT will end up blocking that guy a decent proportion of the time, especially if they think the guy can get around Walker.

this is true - which is why Walker at LT will be an adventure

The Bills will have to commit 3 players to stop the rush from the RE/RLB on most pass plays

Even using TEs & RBs will not work effectively because they aren't good enough blockers to do anything more than chip away at teh DE while engaged with the LT.

Looking at just the sacks Walker gave up is misleading because the QB can see the rusher coming from the right side and avoid the sack - but the play is still disrupted.

the lookout block will be featured quite a bit this year.

Against the 3-4, the LT does not have to worry about the RDE much. The LG can cheat over and pick him up, freeing up the LT to focus on the rushing LB. Further, the TE can help seal the outside, and while he may not be able to completely dominate the RDE, he can buy the QB another half to full second to get rid of the football. that's all that is required. Understanding where teh blitz is coming from is the most important thing when facing the 3-4, which is why having and intelligent C and interior line is so important. Being able to realize what the defense is up to and adjust appropriately before the ball is snapped is the most important factor in winning the battle of the trenches against the 3-4. In that department we have made some serious strides. Keep in mind that the Seahawks have a pretty good speed RDE as do the Jaguars and Langston held up pretty well against them in his two starts at LT last year while JP was getting his stuff together.

nm? i dont think he said that in his post...

earlier the title of his thread was nm..and he had some messed up crap written..looked like this:

with some writing here

so thats why I asked what nm meant...not sure if it was a mess up by the server or something he did

He just needs to get even fatter so the speed guys have a longer route to Trent. Hopefully Trent will have released one of his accurate puffballs by that time.

Against the 3-4, the LT does not have to worry about the RDE much. The LG can cheat over and pick him up, freeing up the LT to focus on the rushing LB. Further, the TE can help seal the outside, and while he may not be able to completely dominate the RDE, he can buy the QB another half to full second to get rid of the football. that's all that is required. Understanding where teh blitz is coming from is the most important thing when facing the 3-4, which is why having and intelligent C and interior line is so important. Being able to realize what the defense is up to and adjust appropriately before the ball is snapped is the most important factor in winning the battle of the trenches against the 3-4. In that department we have made some serious strides. Keep in mind that the Seahawks have a pretty good speed RDE as do the Jaguars and Langston held up pretty well against them in his two starts at LT last year while JP was getting his stuff together.

First, those guys (Seahawks and Jags RDEs) you say are pretty good? They aren't. Especially not for RDEs in a 4-3 defense, who are supposed to be the team's best pass rusher.

Seahawks RDE Lawrence Jackson had 2 sacks last year in a 4-3 defense.

Jags RDE Reggie Hayward had 4.5 sacks last year in a 4-3 defense. Interestingly, 2 of them came against Green Bay. I wonder what happened there.

Neither of those guys is any better than slightly below mediocre.

so knowing that the LG is cheating over to help the LT would not create a nice seam up the middle for an enterprsing Dc to exploit??

jail break city up the middle and the shortest path to the QB

Walker will be abused at LT- which should lead to some interesting responses from TO before too long.

not too worry - Walker is just being set up for failure so he and his inflated contract can be cut loose next year