So If The Bills 3 Biggest Holes Are LB, LT and DT

Back to football! In my view, OLB is a position where rookies CAN and DO make immediate impact around the league. It may be the second most impactful after running back. The thought that Alvin Bowen or Nic Harris can't make any impact is shortsighted, in my estimation. I tend to think that the observation of better offense will help the defense is valid. This could be immense strictly by way of less time on the field. If special teams remains just that, SPECIAL, then the Bills will at the very least be VERY, VERY competitive in 2009. Count me as one who sees real possibilities on this squad!

The negative nancy's have a field day on this board. Our "sack free" defense was ranked 14 last year in yardage, IIRC. That was without it's best DE for most of the year and its best LB for the whole season and, most importantly, playing with our woeful O (remember, the D is just the other side of the O coin--if our O can't stay on the field, our D will get more yardage against it by definition). So, our D that really only lost Greer--who was more than ably replaced by Leodis, Florence and Youboty (also out almost all last year as well)--and is getting back Schoebel and Maybin to the pass rush is going to be worse than last season's slightly better than average D? Most importantly, even bigger strides were made on O, the most important being TO, the new rookie linemen we're all so excited about and last but by no means least, Trent having another full year under his belt. I'd wager that this O, despite losing Peters, Dockery and Royal and Marshawn for 3, is better than last year's. Just a hunch. If it is even slightly better--say moving up 5-6 spots in the rankings, I see no reason why our D can't be Top 10, barring a really bad injury run.

Is this team an "elite team" yet? No, I don't think so. But are we a bottom feeding 3-13, 4-12 kind of team as many here seem to think? No, they aren't either.

I don't recall Trent having Any FULL seasons.

I wish I could let this go, but it all comes back to having chris chandler at QB. Trents capable of leading us to the playoffs, if he can stay on the field. Too bad I think the chances of that are slim. We should have signed jeff Garcia to be our backup

The negative nancy's have a field day on this board. Our "sack free" defense was ranked 14 last year in yardage, IIRC. That was without it's best DE for most of the year and its best LB for the whole season and, most importantly, playing with our woeful O (remember, the D is just the other side of the O coin--if our O can't stay on the field, our D will get more yardage against it by definition). So, our D that really only lost Greer--who was more than ably replaced by Leodis, Florence and Youboty (also out almost all last year as well)--and is getting back Schoebel and Maybin to the pass rush is going to be worse than last season's slightly better than average D? Most importantly, even bigger strides were made on O, the most important being TO, the new rookie linemen we're all so excited about and last but by no means least, Trent having another full year under his belt. I'd wager that this O, despite losing Peters, Dockery and Royal and Marshawn for 3, is better than last year's. Just a hunch. If it is even slightly better--say moving up 5-6 spots in the rankings, I see no reason why our D can't be Top 10, barring a really bad injury run.

Is this team an "elite team" yet? No, I don't think so. But are we a bottom feeding 3-13, 4-12 kind of team as many here seem to think? No, they aren't either.

That remains to be seen Suzy but I love how cute and perky you are.

This is a team that lost every single division game last year. This is a team that finished the year losing eight of its last ten games, winning only against the 2-14 Chiefs and the collapsing Broncos. Hint: if you only beat teams at the bottom, you are a bottom feeder. This is also a team whose QB suffered a complete loss of courage under fire when things go tough against the Browns. And we won't have our best back for the first 4 games.

Could they get lucky with scheduling? It could happen. Could Jauron turn from the guy who gave away the Jet game to Lombardi reborn? I guess its possible. All any of us can do is hope but the fact is, we didn't do anything this off season to gain ground on the three teams that wasted us in the division last year. A good case could be made that we lost ground. What you see as a dramatic improvement, signing Owens, much of the league looks at it as sheer, pathetic desperation. Perhaps you noticed the lack of a bidding war over his services. Either our people are smarter than the rest of the league, soemthing that is clearly not true, or we were the only team around so desperate that we were willing to try anything, even signing Terrel Owens.

I don't recall Trent having Any FULL seasons.

I wish I could let this go, but it all comes back to having chris chandler at QB. Trents capable of leading us to the playoffs, if he can stay on the field. Too bad I think the chances of that are slim. We should have signed jeff Garcia to be our backup

His performance in the Cleveland game has left me with serious doubts about his mettle. I am not sure that even if he were healthy, he could lead us anywhere. There is only so far the 3 yard dump offs he has become known for can take a team.