Pull your hair out in advance

I can't believe the NFL is dumb enough to INCREASE the likelihood of judgment calls in the game. These rule changes are mystifying, and this trend of pussifying the game threatens to ruin it entirely. No peelback blocks on teams? Are you kidding me? The new bet: How many big ST returns will the Bills have called back on debatable calls? How many games will be swung in one team's favor due to the infinite "wisdom" of a ref?

They just made the zebras freelance players in the game. Who the hell voted for this crap...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...bd-c8b39a5b0f4e

I read that article too, and thought the same thing. Not to mention, how many times will games be delayed even more by lengthy reviews and respotting of the ball?

It was nice to see April proactively going through different scenarios with Mike Perreira of what will be allowable and what won't be. Hopefully he'll keep coming up with innovative ways to push the envelope.

They just made the zebras freelance players in the game. Who the hell voted for this crap...

The owners of large market teams who are buying their playoff spots. even indirectly. the NFL knows it is better for ratings to have large markets in the playoffs. and the refs will do whatever they can to help those teams. just like they have been doing for over a decade.

I can't believe the NFL is dumb enough to INCREASE the likelihood of judgment calls in the game. These rule changes are mystifying, and this trend of pussifying the game threatens to ruin it entirely. No peelback blocks on teams? Are you kidding me? The new bet: How many big ST returns will the Bills have called back on debatable calls? How many games will be swung in one team's favor due to the infinite "wisdom" of a ref?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...bd-c8b39a5b0f4e

Aprils' vehemence is perfectly understandable.

He gets it, and knows full well that without the consistently favorable field positions for the offense and defense provided by the STs the past several years, the Bills might have been a 3, 4, 5 win club.

Just speculation, but I wonder if the Kevin Everett injury has something to do with these changes. Dunno...

FWIW: the other night, Dick Jauron said that he was very much in favor of eliminating the wedge, and had in fact advocated for such a rule. (Then, being Jauron, he delved into early football history to mention the fact that President Roosevelt -- that's Theodore, not Franklin -- once called for the game to be banned after "wedges" were blamed for several player deaths. Interesting lesson for the people there who may not have been aware of just how brutal the game used to be, a century ago.)

"It's a great rule," he said.

His main concern, which I think was echoed by April in Brown's story, is whether or not those new rules are going to be enforced consistently.

Add: Cincy, none of those rules would have affected the Everett play, but it may have drawn attention to the kicking game ...

The owners of large market teams who are buying their playoff spots. even indirectly. the NFL knows it is better for ratings to have large markets in the playoffs. and the refs will do whatever they can to help those teams. just like they have been doing for over a decade.

Not to mention owners who are trying to protect their players from getting injured and forcing them to pay said players for being on IR.

Add: Cincy, none of those rules would have affected the Everett play, but it may have drawn attention to the kicking game ...

Bingo...Everett was injured as he was trying to tackle the kick returner. The wedge had already been busted by the time he got there.

His main concern, which I think was echoed by April in Brown's story, is whether or not those new rules are going to be enforced consistently.

Yes, re Everett.

I'm with Coach April on the interpretation angle. But I also think he knows which side the Bills' bread has been buttered on the past several seasons.

B...b...b...b. Sorry for the inadvertent alliteration. :wallbash:

Players should just leave their heads in their lockers before the game. That would eliminate all head-to-head contact.

(The rules committee is pandering to an audience to downplay the violence of the game. Anybody that thinks passing a bunch of poorly defined rules is going to result in players being able to change their physiology, heck physics itself, to the point to react within hundredths or thousands of a second is seriously delusional. The game isn't played in double extra super slo-mo.)

Just another way for the NFL to control game outcomes. That is where all these rules stem

from, you can hear it now,"well they made the call according to NFL rules", it makes it easier

to manipulate the game. I don't have a problem with rules per se, it is the interpretation, and the inconsistent way that they are applied and enforced that is the real problem. They are making it real hard for the average fan to be able to tell what the F just happened, but, that is no accident. I do however applaud the peel back block change, as discussed before,

legal (at least before) yes, appropriate and clean, not IMO.