Can Bell become the next Left tackle in '09?. Does Langston Walker have the arm lenght and quick feet to deal with the fast DE pass rushers? :wallbash:

Which Bell? :wallbash:

I do sometimes like to get my morning started with a good beating, but it usually isn't dead horses whores.

Fixed :wallbash:

Can Bell become the next Left tackle in '09?. Does Langston Walker have the arm lenght and quick feet to deal with the fast DE pass rushers? :devil:

I think Walker is going to be ok in the offense they are going to run. He needs to get in better shape to both run the no huddle and play LT or he will be the guy rotating in instead of the starter. I lliked the line that they played with without peters in the pre season and in the first game. I thought the line was worse with Peters in.

Can Bell become the next Left tackle in '09?. Does Langston Walker have the arm lenght and quick feet to deal with the fast DE pass rushers? :devil:

Bell has never played in a NFL game at any position. Before being inactive all 16 games last season, he played three years at a low level D1 program. He, IMHO, was a two year project coming out of Northwestern State in 08. He needs another year to develop strength and shouldn't be in the picture besides depth until 2010

Langston Walker is just big and fat.

He played LT sparingly in Oakland, even after Robert Gallery couldn't cut it. If he wasn't good enough on the league's second worst franchise, he shouldn't be good enough in Buffalo. It's a flat out bad gamble to expect him to make a move to a position in his 8th season that he's never played more than 2 games straight.

Arm length is only part of the way to address speed rushers, particularly RDE's. I don't think LW has the lateral mobility to keep guys like Peppers, Freeney, Mario Williams, and those rush LB's away from the QB.

Bell has never played in a NFL game at any position. Before being inactive all 16 games last season, he played three years at a low level D1 program. He, IMHO, was a two year project coming out of Northwestern State in 08. He needs another year to develop strength and shouldn't be in the picture besides depth until 2010

He played LT sparingly in Oakland, even after Robert Gallery couldn't cut it. If he wasn't good enough on the league's second worst franchise, he shouldn't be good enough in Buffalo. It's a flat out bad gamble to expect him to make a move to a position in his 8th season that he's never played more than 2 games straight.

Arm length is only part of the way to address speed rushers, particularly RDE's. I don't think LW has the lateral mobility to keep guys like Peppers, Freeney, Mario Williams, and those rush LB's away from the QB.

Neither did Peters 11.5 times last year

You realize the blocking scheme and offense system had more to do for that horrible season by that o line than the players. Shell was using a blocking scheme that was 15 years out of date, all they did offensively was take 7-9 step drop backs. And on top of that they had 3 offensive line coaches plus Shell always chimming in, that is a recipe for diseaster.

You stated that Bell never played in an NFL game before and only played 3 yrs at a D1 program but 2 quick points, Vet; first, Peters never played T at ANY LEVEL at all before the Bills and it didn't take him very long to progress; and second, Bell was in fact on the 53 man roster all last year and therefore at least did practice with the big boys all long.

Walker big and fat... hmm, guess he is, but he's also pretty good, and when he had problems in Oakland at the LT position, that was about 5 years or so ago and he's undoubtably come a long way since then.

You stated that Bell never played in an NFL game before and only played 3 yrs at a D1 program but 2 quick points, Vet; first, Peters never played T at ANY LEVEL at all before the Bills and it didn't take him very long to progress; and second, Bell was in fact on the 53 man roster all last year and therefore at least did practice with the big boys all long.

Walker big and fat... hmm, guess he is, but he's also pretty good, and when he had problems in Oakland at the LT position, that was about 5 years or so ago and he's undoubtably come a long way since then.

Peters was judged by someone who has coached a very productive OL a few time Mouse MacNally as the best OL prospect he has ever seen. While part of the position coach's job is blowing all sorts of smoke to pump up their troops, the real facts are that Peters pretty much demonstrated that all the hype about him being unblockable when he forced his way with his play onto the Bills ST (the Bills took a risk on him when they signed this UDFA but we were forced to sign and activate him when the market started sniffing around to sign him off of our PS) when he not only blocked a punt but had the football presence of mind and soft hands to recover the block and score 6.

Further, he managed to prove in the real world that he was not only capable of starting at RT but made the jump to LT. His second Pro Bowl nod is fairly correctly seen in my view as undeserved, but his first nod was pretty much deserved in all views.

This recitation is made not simply to kiss Peters butt but because these accomplishments were real and you don't have to be Peters Mom to realize that and one is simply being a fool to totally discount the real world parts of this. The next step in somehow equating Bell to Peters because both were inexperienced is even worse.

If Bell can even be a solid back-up on OL this year his progress would be notably nice. The idea that he is a dead lock certain starter might happen on this planet but is such a silly thing to bank on its simply laughable to argue this is what is gonna happen.

I think an objective assessment of Walker is that his failures in Oakland speak a lot more about how bad the Oakland coaching and systems are rather than provide a flat-out indictment of Walker.

I do not think anyone would accuse the big guy of being a ballerina, but he did prove to be a fairly effective LT who played an important and impressive role in our 4-0 start last year when Peters proved not to be ready to start at all initially and not ready to play a full game for a while. Can Walker do the job there for 16 games or against the best pass rushers?

No his limited good play last year (after a fairly impressive season at RT the year before) does not prove he can do the LT job. However, these facts do make it a reasonable hope that he can fill the role. As far as our suggestions for the OL I think it makes much more sense for us to devote consideration for what plan B is gonna be if Walker gets hurt or does not work out. This is the real question worthy of stewing over on TSW. Folks should save the ad hominem attacks or name calling that he is simply a fat tub of goo for WGR or some other lame media outlet.