false optimism

Satisfied with a loser huh? You're the reason the Bills won't spend money on free agents, have a losing team, and are playing games in Toronto.

I'm as big a Bills fan as they come and want them to win more than anything, just because I criticize them for losing 10 years straight I suck and need to stop rooting for the team? Again, you personally attack me because I don't like losing?

My post was in response to the post above yours... but if the shoe fits...

P.S. Nothing you or I do will change the way my favorite team performs this year. I just prefer to have hope that this is the year it come together for us.

You seem to enjoy wallowing in pessimistic suckitude. You have that right. You are free to do so. I just want you to do it quietly and elsewhere.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been called a pollyanna before (not bad NYCBill), and I am a myopic homer at heart that is the truth. I will not deny it. But look at the improvements on this team and how can you not be happy. Buffalo has addressed major weakness in this team. If anyone watched the Bills last year how can you not deny that the interior offensive line play was abismal the absolute weakest part of out team. Needs addressed. Lee Evans versus opposing secondaries, that is not the case this year. Needs addressed. Pass rush. Needs addressed. Last year was maybe the most disappointing for me as a Bills fan this offseason might be the most encouraging for me as a Bills fan .

I apoligize if I offended anyone. Everyone has the absolute right to express there opinios and frustrations. Just try and remeber why you became fans and what it means to you. If it causes you this much grief maybe it is not worth it.

I don't view being a pessimist as grief, there's highs and lows to sports. I grew up in Orchard Park during the Super Bowl years, missed out on a lot of Flutie because I was in college in NYC, and right after graduating college I started a Bills fan club in Manhattan in 2002. 8 years, a wife, 2 kids, 3 jobs, and 2,000 Bills fan members later the Bills have done nothing but be losers. I just don't see whats wrong with criticizing the team, especially the way last year went down.

Fans who criticize shouldn't be attacked, told they're not real fans and have issues, and told to leave, they should be part of the discussion. That's all I'm saying.

I don't view being a pessimist as grief, there's highs and lows to sports. I grew up in Orchard Park during the Super Bowl years, missed out on a lot of Flutie because I was in college in NYC, and right after graduating college I started a Bills fan club in Manhattan in 2002. 8 years, a wife, 2 kids, 3 jobs, and 2,000 Bills fan members later the Bills have done nothing but be losers. I just don't see whats wrong with criticizing the team, especially the way last year went down.

Fans who criticize shouldn't be attacked, told they're not real fans and have issues, and told to leave, they should be part of the discussion. That's all I'm saying.

The constant downtronden approach to things wears on people. NYC, I for one prefer hope to despair. I grew up in Lewiston but now live in Nevada and consider my self very lucky to have had the Bills in my life. I culturaly identify with them. If it was not for the Buffalo Bills western NY would be a distant memory to me know.

My post was in response to the post above yours... but if the shoe fits...

P.S. Nothing you or I do will change the way my favorite team performs this year. I just prefer to have hope that this is the year it come together for us.

You seem to enjoy wallowing in pessimistic suckitude. You have that right. You are free to do so. I just want you to do it quietly and elsewhere.

I find it very annoying when people come out with statements like this as well as "then you're not a real fan" or "go root for someone else". I think it's possible that the pessimistic fans may be more passionate and loyal than the fans who think that everything is just fine and we'll get 'em next year. Meanwhile, in the age of parity, there have been numerous examples of franchise's that have turned their fortunes around while we wallow in mediocrity. Are we supposed to celebrate this?

I believe that the vast majority of pessimistic fans hope that this will be the year the Bills turn it around and that the decisions the front office has made will be successful. But the fact remains that there are many questions surrounding this team as they enter the '09 season.

- Will a lightweight rookie DE become an effective NFL pass rusher. DJ admitted that Maybin will be a situational player. Not much of an impact for the #11 pick.

- How good will a completely new O-line be? I have the most confidence in LW at L Tackle. Butler is being promoted to RT and the middle consists of two rookies and the Panther's sixth man.

- Will we see progress in TE's game (especially with a new O-line)? If we've already seen the best that Trent has to offer, this team is toast.

- DT depth?

- Linebacker depth?

Did you ever consider that those of us who are frustrated with a decade of failure are just as aggravated with the "glass is overflowing" crowd as you are with the pessimists? But the fact remains that NO ONE should tell anyone else that they are not a "true fan" or to "go away".

I find it very annoying when people come out with statements like this as well as "then you're not a real fan" or "go root for someone else". I think it's possible that the pessimistic fans may be more passionate and loyal than the fans who think that everything is just fine and we'll get 'em next year. Meanwhile, in the age of parity, there have been numerous examples of franchise's that have turned their fortunes around while we wallow in mediocrity. Are we supposed to celebrate this?

I believe that the vast majority of pessimistic fans hope that this will be the year the Bills turn it around and that the decisions the front office has made will be successful. But the fact remains that there are many questions surrounding this team as they enter the '09 season.

- Will a lightweight rookie DE become an effective NFL pass rusher. DJ admitted that Maybin will be a situational player. Not much of an impact for the #11 pick.

- How good will a completely new O-line be? I have the most confidence in LW at L Tackle. Butler is being promoted to RT and the middle consists of two rookies and the Panther's sixth man.

- Will we see progress in TE's game (especially with a new O-line)? If we've already seen the best that Trent has to offer, this team is toast.

- DT depth?

- Linebacker depth?

Did you ever consider that those of us who are frustrated with a decade of failure are just as aggravated with the "glass is overflowing" crowd as you are with the pessimists? But the fact remains that NO ONE has the right to tell anyone else that they are not a "true fan" or to "go away".

I respect your article, but I have to disagree with 2 points in it. I am as big of a fan as they come I no longer live in Wester NY but I travel to a game every year. Usually an away game not the ralph. The constitution tells me I have the right to say how I feel and if that is telling someone who bitches and whines on a constant basis to go away I can.

The constant downtronden approach to things wears on people. NYC, I for one prefer hope to despair. I grew up in Lewiston but now live in Nevada and consider my self very lucky to have had the Bills in my life. I culturaly identify with them. If it was not for the Buffalo Bills western NY would be a distant memory to me know.

Same here on all counts....I was the eternal optimist until this year...I finally hit my tipping point going from college kid to having my second kid and still losing.

I respect your article, but I have to disagree with 2 points in it. I am as big of a fan as they come I no longer live in Wester NY but I travel to a game every year. Usually an away game not the ralph. The constitution tells me I have the right to say how I feel and if that is telling someone who bitches and whines on a constant basis to go away I can.

Good point. I will edit the last line.

Didn't mean to cause such a stir, just my opinion of MY team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade.. I guess what bothers to me is do you guys think that being a "fan" mean we go with the company line.. How can you guys have faith in this organization when jauron has 1 winning season in 7 and our scouting staff has been intact thru the whole period of missing the playoffs? I hope I'm wrong , and the Bills go 13-3 but I don't see it.. To the dude who jumped on me about me stating that our new center was a starter when I said he wasn't, what I meant was he was a reserve who only started when an injury occured..look it up.

I will repeat myself, our first pick is a one horse pony with one year of college.. We had better alternatives.. Our new "O" lineup MAY have talent but so did Mike Williams.. 2 rookies starting on the line is a good thing??

There is way too much optimism about this team..

Of course with the Bills selling every seat, there is no need for Wilson to spend money.. So keep on cheering and giving your money to this organization, don't expect a winning record though.. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Do you mean "one trick pony"? This board used to be optimistic and a place where people could gather information and talk about bad calls, devastating losses and exhilarating wins. Now there is so much info. on the net that everybody feels they are an expert. Everybody has an opinion and a right to share it. I think most people here want to believe. You make your opinion seem like fact and as if you know how everything is going to play out. As for selling out the Ralph... the fact that this upsets you if we are mediocre and sell out is ridiculous. It means we are not band wagon jumpers and are faithful to our team. I am proud we sell the place out. Wilson spends money but as a major proponent of revenue sharing he can't run around signing crazy free agent contracts and acting frivolous. When things go bad we call our owner cheap. Have you seen how cheap seasons tickets are for the Bills compared to other NFL cities? As for the "one trick pony" If that one trick pony comes in on passing downs comes of the edge and sacks the QB 6-10 times this year, I'll take it.

Same here on all counts....I was the eternal optimist until this year...I finally hit my tipping point going from college kid to having my second kid and still losing.

Do not give up hope my brother from a Buffalo Bills mother. It is always better to hope, face it you are going to route for them anyway's

If everything is so damn horrible, I wonder why this moron doesn't go jump off a bridge or something. Apparently the Bills couldn't beat an Arena team.

Your "truths" are opinions. The "names" you wanted were just names you became familiar with. You're a bag o chips on the couch guy, and you think you know more than the Bills coaches about talent and scheme fits? Keep that hand in the bag, buddy. You have a problem with "1 year wonders" but you refer to Peters as an all pro. Here's news for ya: Peters was a one year wonder, too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 2, 3, and 4. In fact, this post of yours is so juvenile, so whiny, so hollow, I'm gonna stop bothering to respond. Later, Bag O' Chips Guy.

That's great and everything, but there's a difference between a pessimist and a moron. This guy is a moron.

I get great joy out of the Bills, and want them to win.

But they haven't been to the playoffs in a decade. All I'm saying is that instead of attacking pessimists like I used to, I now listen to them as much as the optimists, because both make great points and the truth is usually in the middle Personally attacking a somebody because they have a negative view of a losing team makes the attacker a pollyanna with rose colored glasses.

Do not give up hope my brother from a Buffalo Bills mother. It is always better to hope, face it you are going to route for them anyway's

Of course I am...you can root for them AND criticize them at the same time. Trust me brother, I'd rather eat my words than say "I told you so".

I wore a Bills shirt to my son's birth 2 weeks ago for crying out loud.

It's not really pessimism it's frustration... After every year the Bills have sold us fans a bill of goods. We signed Bledsoe (sold out the next year), traded up for Losman (sold out the next year), bring in Marv (sold out the next year), and now sign T.O. and a C+ rookie crop and will again sell out.. Most of you guys are cheerleaders. True fans would see that the same scouting staff that has evaluated "talent" is still at it, we have a bonafide loser for a coach, and no football GM. So call me a pessimist, I call myself a fan!

If the bolded were true, you would have more ground to stand on. If we went into the draft and got Darrius Heyward-Bey and Michael Mitchell than you can stomp your feet, and B word, and whine, and be a little baby. But we didn't - we had a good draft, some are even calling it one of the best. So get your C+ sh-- out of here, because when you drop comments like that, it's going to piss people off.

Of course I am...you can root for them AND criticize them at the same time. Trust me brother, I'd rather eat my words than say "I told you so".

I wore a Bills shirt to my son's birth 2 weeks ago for crying out loud.

yeah well I wore my Bills jersey to Oakland county coliseum.

Would YOU just please GO AWAY. How do you like it?