WNY as a microcosm of the future?

Got yer point originally and its a valid one. I always said Buffalos fate was that of a disposable city.

That is a nice way to sum it up in as few words as possible. :devil::devil:

A "throw a city" in regards to all facets. I know many people will take umbrage to that, but it is the truth.

Just to add another thing. Some people knew the above fact early on... Starting with the planners and designers that were called in early to help the cities wows.

:(

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the conclusion ought to be that there is no role for big manufacturing companies in our future. And with them, the types of cities they give rise to.

There is if the company(s) are based in that city and the city has a geographical purpose. BFLO was a "satellite" town to other far off companies... It's asset was it's labor, in the end even that was undercut (along with it's geographical purpose) People forget that labor was BROUGHT IN (and strictly controlled of course) to BFLO during the two big wars this country fought.

It's so nice to see someone who exists here only to cause problems pretend she's somehow above the fray. Quick liberal mouthbreathers, join hands with Nozzle and sing about how you've all been wronged at PPP.

It never gets old.

I have never been wronged... Okay, may be once. :devil::devil: And even then I should have never cast aspersions with regards to somebody's personal political endeavors. I often change my tone. For you to assume that she is here only to cause problems is another stretch. Just let it go Darin, lets go from this point forward.

It's called history, Eric. You've been a moron pretty much your entire existence here. Playing nice for a short period of time or two doesn't change that. The fact that the vast majority of humanity is comprised of morons is on display daily on this board.

I don't think "Scott" gives a flying crap, nor should he. Everyone who spends any time on ANY politics board that is open to the general public is going to look remarkably similar to PPP. It is what it is and you pretending to be on good behavior and above the fray is just another "side" of your personal ridiculousness.

And thanks for telling me I'm a "bright guy". I've been searching for validation from people like you my entire life.

You want to stop being called a moron? Stop posting like one.

Nice.

At least I can (unlike others) appreciate you for who you are.

Ah Gaughn baby Gaughn...*sigh*

Ya know this guy's been around for awhile...local media darling of outlets as disperate as hate radio 930 wben to local softy sappy boob Bflo News columnist Donn Esmonde...running for a major position in WNY politics and always losing...trying to dismantle suburban heirarchy to same results..fine. But people hear have heard Gaughn (Christ have we!) and people like him and realize our problems go well beyond expanded government.

I have yet to hear any mention of the disease known as suburban sprawl which has polluted city cores and regions, from rust belt to sunbelt for decades now.

But oh that's right...developers never do anything wrong.

I have alluded it to it many times... Especially post 45 and post 47.

As distastefull as surburban sprawl may be asthetically, I have yet to hear how it is the cause of any economic ills. Tax revenue that used to go to the big cities now goes to the counties - the taxpayers are voting with their feet. Would you deny them that right?

Assigning blame for our economic woes to cul-de-sacs and their inhabitants seems positively Obama-esque.

You make some noteworthy points.

You can't deny what sprawl does. Look at this way... Remember how UB Amherst campus was designed before they started changing in the early 1990's. That is exactly what sprawl does, it divides and isolates people.

Of course if I wanted a divided society that thought nothing more than the short-term, I would model that society exactly on what we have down with regards to promoting sprawl.

Believe it or not, I think that Patterson is the best governor NYS in my memory:

At least he's trying.

"State officials are working with Internet giant Yahoo to establish a data center in Western New York."

From WSJ:

"The center would house computer systems and other equipment. State officials say it wouldn't result in many jobs, but the symbolism of luring the big-name company could help with other economic development efforts.

Gov. David Paterson asked the New York Power Authority to come up with a low-cost power plan for Yahoo to lure them to the Buffalo area."

Not too many jobs, but symbolically big, plus using the region's advantages to lure employers. Wondering if there's a tax break in there :cry: