The BCS Is...

I agree with KD. Auto bids to conference champs and any undefeated team in 1-A, regardless of conference. This way, if you get left out, you have much less of a foot to stand on since you didn't win your conference.

I think every conference needs to have a championship game, which eliminates the need for the "and any undefeated team in 1-A". I don't like the idea of teams being rewarded for creating easier schedules and not having a championship game.

I think every conference needs to have a championship game, which eliminates the need for the "and any undefeated team in 1-A". I don't like the idea of teams being rewarded for creating easier schedules and not having a championship game.

That works for me. At the very least, every BCS conference should have a championship.

That works for me. At the very least, every BCS conference should have a championship.

So by math, you have 11 conferences. Each one has a championship game. Winner gets an automatic bid into the playoffs. You add 3 wild cards to give you an even 14 teams. When teams that are left out argue that they should of been one of the wildcards, the NCAA could tell them you should of won your conference. The top 4 teams draw byes the first round(conference winners o the top 4 conferences) & the 1st round will be played on campus sites of the higher seed. The 2nd round will be played New Years day at BCS Bowls(Sugar, Orange, Rose & Fiesta). Semi finals will be played the week after & the NC will be played the following Monday. The BCS bowls could rotate who hosts the the semifinals & the finals. By having this format, I think the regular season would be more important then ever. One could argue that this would make the 2nd tier bowl games irrellevant but lets face it, they are pretty much are irrelevant anyways. & the BCS bowls besides the Rose Bowl & the NC are becoming irreleavant also. Orange Bowl tickets between Cincy/V Tech were going for $5 a piece on ebay last year.

So by math, you have 11 conferences. Each one has a championship game. Winner gets an automatic bid into the playoffs. You add 3 wild cards to give you an even 14 teams. When teams that are left out argue that they should of been one of the wildcards, the NCAA could tell them you should of won your conference. The top 4 teams draw byes the first round(conference winners o the top 4 conferences) & the 1st round will be played on campus sites of the higher seed. The 2nd round will be played New Years day at BCS Bowls(Sugar, Orange, Rose & Fiesta). Semi finals will be played the week after & the NC will be played the following Monday. The BCS bowls could rotate who hosts the the semifinals & the finals. By having this format, I think the regular season would be more important then ever. One could argue that this would make the 2nd tier bowl games irrellevant but lets face it, they are pretty much are irrelevant anyways. & the BCS bowls besides the Rose Bowl & the NC are becoming irreleavant also. Orange Bowl tickets between Cincy/V Tech were going for $5 a piece on ebay last year.

One more thing, no matter what their seed, wildcard teams need to play on the road in the first round. That would setup some unbelievable environments at some of these mid major campuses, that otherwise would never be able to convince a Georgia or a Florida to play a game on their campus.

Here is a solution so easy and simple no one will want to do it...because it makes too much sense.

There are 11 1-A conferences. All 11 conference champs go into a playoff. Seeds 1-5 get a bye. Seeds 6-11 play week 1. 8 remaining teams meet in week 2. 4 remaning teams play in week 3. Championship in week 4. Each game is played at an existing bowl game site. Rotate new bowls each year to serve as playoff sites. Meanwhile the rest of non-conference winning teams can still play in bowl games.

Problem solved.

PTR

Hell of a system there, gordio. I like the campuses hosting the first round games. One tweak i would have is to still seed the teams 1-14 in order of rank, but conference champs get to host the first round, even if they are the lower seed. The reason is to preserve the "seeding" so the top team can still matchup against the lowest seeded team to advance.

For example: In 2008, using your system, the top 4 conference champs get seeded 1-4 (USC, UF, Oklahoma, Penn St.) Then you seed #5-14 based upon the rankings. So, lets assume that Texas gets the #5 seed, and UB got the #16 seed. UB would still host, due to winning its conference, and this would prevent the #1 seed from having to play Texas in round 2.

One big problem i see with the smaller schools hosting is that a lot of the mid level schools don't have 90+thousand seats that would be required for these games. It'd be great to see Texas @ UB, but the stadium couldn't handle it. Arrangements would need to be made so the Texas @ UB would be held @ the Ralph.

One big problem i see with the smaller schools hosting is that a lot of the mid level schools don't have 90+thousand seats that would be required for these games. It'd be great to see Texas @ UB, but the stadium couldn't handle it. Arrangements would need to be made so the Texas @ UB would be held @ the Ralph.

Well if the longshot of a playoff could happen, UB hosting a power school like Texas is an even longer shot.

Speaking of playing power programs, I hope everyone is aware that Pitt plays Buffalo at UB stadium this year. In fact it's the weekend before the Bills home opener Sat Sep 12. (time tba) What a perfect warmup to the Bills season opener: a tailgate beside Lake LaSalle, then walk to UB Stadium and cheer them to victory over what may be a ranked opponent. I hope we sell out UB stadium for that game.

PTR

Considering: The Economy, Unemployment, the Debt, N Korea, the War in Iraq, the War in Afghanistan, Piracy, Mexico, Swine Flu, etc. etc., the fact that this is even an issue before Congress is shameful.

No...no...NO! That ONLY applied when Bush was in office...NOW it is ok for congress and the President to talk about these pressing needs or pose for photos running with a dog in the White House...that is ok now...get the facts straight

No...no...NO! That ONLY applied when Bush was in office...NOW it is ok for congress and the President to talk about these pressing needs or pose for photos running with a dog in the White House...that is ok now...get the facts straight

Another bitter and twisted conservative. Please, tell us again how much the country sucks now. I never get tired of it.

PTR

Hell of a system there, gordio. I like the campuses hosting the first round games. One tweak i would have is to still seed the teams 1-14 in order of rank, but conference champs get to host the first round, even if they are the lower seed. The reason is to preserve the "seeding" so the top team can still matchup against the lowest seeded team to advance.

For example: In 2008, using your system, the top 4 conference champs get seeded 1-4 (USC, UF, Oklahoma, Penn St.) Then you seed #5-14 based upon the rankings. So, lets assume that Texas gets the #5 seed, and UB got the #16 seed. UB would still host, due to winning its conference, and this would prevent the #1 seed from having to play Texas in round 2.

Good point. You have to keep the seed structure the way you suggested in fairness to the top 4 seeds. As far as the attendance, if there is an alternative sch UB to play at the Ralph that would be great. My guess is UB woul have no problem getting 70K at the ralph if they were to host a team like Texas. If there is no alternative that is just the way it goes. This makes too much sense. I do not understand why they do not do it. it can not be about the money. The networks, the schools & the NCAA would make more money doing this then what they have with the current bowl system now & your really only tacking on 1/2/3 extra games each year & it is only affecting a small % of the schools anyways.

One more thing, as much as this kills me to say this, you can not foget Nore Dame. The networks would have a heart attack. Have a stipulation if Notre Dame finishes in the top 15(maybe top 20) of the BCS polls they automatically get one of the wild cards.

Geez...if Bush were in charge of it Halliburton would be designing and building defective and hazardous stadiums and electrocuting players as they took showers.

One more thing, as much as this kills me to say this, you can not foget Nore Dame. The networks would have a heart attack. Have a stipulation if Notre Dame finishes in the top 15(maybe top 20) of the BCS polls they automatically get one of the wild cards.

Screw 'em. If they can't pick a conference, they don't play.