I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Yet, they make a federal case about it, like the callers are so stupid, when it's them that are stupid to not know it's just a polite salutation, not a real question. Mike - we could care less how you're doing!

I listen to Dan Patrick occasionally take calls.

A smart radio host would choose to learn a lot from how a big name like Patrick treats callers.

Since Entercom has no problem with their host treating people like he does he gets away with it.

I've said it before, but complaining to the shows' advertisers would seem to be the only way to get a positive change to take place.

The slower way is what likely will keep happening, more and more people see no improvement from the guy and just don't tune in when he's on.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that there are 13 pages of posts based on an AM radio station in 2009, with all the competition out there (satellite radio, internet, etc.) means that Schopp and the Bulldog are doing pretty well. It seems like it's his role to play the devil's advocate, and he plays it well. If there was no contraversy, and the entire show was a praise-a-thon, it would be pretty boring, right?

This is my first post btw...what's up everyone!

If you owned a restaurant and there were 13 pages of people complaining about your food would you think you were doing " pretty well".

People are frustrated.

They love food.

They want a new restaurant.

That is exactly right. Just because there are 13 pages about the show does not at all indicate that the dope is doing his job. That is a stupid conclusion.

It's not stupid at all. If you dont like the food, go to a different restaurant. All im saying, is in a world thats based on ratings and advertising dollars, there is some hype going on here about the show. so somebodys doing something right. The dude says he doesnt like the nfl, he gets a rise out of everyone, people talk about it, someone hears about it, tunes in, hears a guy screaming negativity about the buffalo sports scene, gets pissed, calls in, and wgr just gained a new listener. and hes going to listen just to hear what else he's going to say next.

Whether its negative or positive he's pushing buttons and trying to create entertaining radio.

I think the fact that there are 13 pages of posts based on an AM radio station in 2009, with all the competition out there (satellite radio, internet, etc.) means that Schopp and the Bulldog are doing pretty well. It seems like it's his role to play the devil's advocate, and he plays it well. If there was no contraversy, and the entire show was a praise-a-thon, it would be pretty boring, right?

This is my first post btw...what's up everyone!

Which one are you - Schopp or Bulldog?

If you owned a restaurant and there were 13 pages of people complaining about your food would you think you were doing " pretty well".

People are frustrated.

They love food.

They want a new restaurant.

Different situation. This isnt wings and pizza, This is radio. Go ask Howard Stern how his show is doing after years and years of controversy. Better yet go watch the Howard Stern movie or read the book. The more controversial he became the more ppl watched.

With that said I havent read most of this post because it only gives WGR more power. And I hate them with a passion. Especially Mike Schoop.

It's not stupid at all. If you dont like the food, go to a different restaurant. All im saying, is in a world thats based on ratings and advertising dollars, there is some hype going on here about the show. so somebodys doing something right. The dude says he doesnt like the nfl, he gets a rise out of everyone, people talk about it, someone hears about it, tunes in, hears a guy screaming negativity about the buffalo sports scene, gets pissed, calls in, and wgr just gained a new listener. and hes going to listen just to hear what else he's going to say next.

Whether its negative or positive he's pushing buttons and trying to create entertaining radio.

That new listener wasn't already a listener because he stopped listening due to Schopp. If they got someone else to replace him who wasn't as hated, listeners who stopped listening due to Schopp would be coming out of the woodwork.

Different situation. This isnt wings and pizza, This is radio. Go ask Howard Stern how his show is doing after years and years of controversy. Better yet go watch the Howard Stern movie or read the book. The more controversial he became the more ppl watched.

With that said I havent read most of this post because it only gives WGR more power. And I hate them with a passion. Especially Mike Schoop.

Different situation. Stern and national radio is not comparable to a local station only heard in Buffalo. Stern acquired more listeners because he could, and they tuned in from everywhere because of the national scene. Schopp can only turn people away, not acquire them. It's not really the case that Schopp being a dick head makes people all over listen. This is Buffalo, there aren't people all over. All he's done is make people stop listening.

Different situation. Stern and national radio is not comparable to a local station only heard in Buffalo. Stern acquired more listeners because he could, and they tuned in from everywhere because of the national scene. Schopp can only turn people away, not acquire them. It's not really the case that Schopp being a dick head makes people all over listen. This is Buffalo, there aren't people all over. All he's done is make people stop listening.

Who are all these people that stopped listening, there may be 20 total if you count the posts on this board and that's generous. I'm just guessing that for every 1 person that hates the show, there are 10 that like it, which is probably dumb of me to do because everyone will pick apart a guessed stat in the following posts. Either way, I'm a fan and thats just my opinion, i totally get that he hangs up on people with ridiculous points, its actually torture listening to some of the callers and im glad someone has the balls to cut people off instead of letting them ramble on...or calls them out when they make up some ridiculous point. thats what msg boards are for ; )

it is just radio etiquette not to constantly ask the hosts how they're doing...which is why its a running joke on the show...

Jim Rome is where he's at because he refuses to bog down his show with terrible calls....if you dont have a clear take you dont get on, and the second you do stray from a good take...EEEEHHHHHHH.

I'd like to start on on the right foot here, so i think im going to go check out actual Bills posts. thanks for listening.

How do you figure? WGR is rated as the best sports talk radio show in the nation isnt it? Pretty sure that has been proven. And if you really want to make a point about it being local you went the wrong way. I can easily go the other way and say there isnt another sports radio station in town to listen to unless you have sirius or any other satallite radio programs out there. Stern is no different from Schopp. They are in the business of advertising. If you really think its about sports radio your wrong. Its all about them making money for their sponsors. Thats why Stern gets away with talking about absolutely nothing and having chicks in his studio to show their chests and take salami slices on their asses even though you cant see them.

Im not defending Mike Schopp or WGR. Im simply stating that talking about him and his show is giving him power. Ill admit even I have tuned in over the last few days just to see if he commented on this post at all.

How do you figure? WGR is rated as the best sports talk radio show in the nation isnt it? Pretty sure that has been proven. And if you really want to make a point about it being local you went the wrong way. I can easily go the other way and say there isnt another sports radio station in town to listen to unless you have sirius or any other satallite radio programs out there. Stern is no different from Schopp. They are in the business of advertising. If you really think its about sports radio your wrong. Its all about them making money for their sponsors. Thats why Stern gets away with talking about absolutely nothing and having chicks in his studio to show their chests and take salami slices on their asses even though you cant see them.

Im not defending Mike Schopp or WGR. Im simply stating that talking about him and his show is giving him power. Ill admit even I have tuned in over the last few days just to see if he commented on this post at all.

HAHAHA salami slices on their asses....nice!

That is my point. There aren't different Buffalo radio stations to listen to, so it isn't about switching around and finding your favorite, or hearing which is the most controversial and tuning into that one. There is only one. It is only on or it's not, and Schopp makes people turn it off. In this market, it would be more wise to NOT turn the people off, and more wise to be interested in the Bills (like Howard) so that the people that can tune in, do.

That is my point. There aren't different Buffalo radio stations to listen to, so it isn't about switching around and finding your favorite, or hearing which is the most controversial and tuning into that one. There is only one. It is only on or it's not, and Schopp makes people turn it off. In this market, it would be more wise to NOT turn the people off, and more wise to be interested in the Bills (like Howard) so that the people that can tune in, do.

I just see things differently. Ive never been to Boston, or Philadelphia for any long period of time but I would like to think that Buffalo sports fans are just as crazed as the best sport towns in the US. I can say myself that I listened for years even though I cant stand them but they are the only place to hear it. Maybe its just me and I crave sports that much. I can tell you that close freinds of mine are the same way. We might hate or love WGR but we will always listen to it because they are at least relevant to the Bills and Sabres. Recently Brad Writer received his own show and that has been a life saver for me (and many others I think). But proof is out there that contoversy stirs things up for good or bad. Mike Schopp could come on the show every day and say how much he hates Buffalo and would prolly get more listeners than ever. Like I said, I havent listened to the show in months and even I tuned in to find out what his replies were to this board if hes even read it.