I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Hey Lori, what are your opinions on the individuals and the station as a whole? I never liked that people always complained about the station who's intentions are good, and give us the opportunity to talk about our sports, but I don't think I can defend Schopp anymore. I remember us having a conversation about WGR a while back. I told you I hadn't heard much of Schopp and the Bulldog and you encouraged me to listen to him and Parker. I've listened to them almost every day since then, and I really like Parker. I was on the fence with Schopp but giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think I can any longer.

I really like Howard in the morning, too. Jeremy White is really starting to get to me and turn me off, but he's still tolerable in comparison to the show. Unfortunately, I see myself going down the same road with White that I did with Schopp. I think WGR would be better off taking one of the other guys in the morning (Nick Mendola or the other one) and putting him on in the afternoon with Parker. I'd love to keep listening to the station.

How do you feel about it/them?

Wait. I encouraged someone to listen to Schopp? Was I ill that day? :lol:

Guessing I was responding to someone who was bashing him without listening to him, and I do still have a problem with that, as well as some of the personal attacks I've seen here and elsewhere.

Morning drive: You've been here long enough to know that Howard is one of my favorite people in the business. Jeremy still goes a little too much for the "edgy" sound IMO, but I don't mind that as much as I used to, and I always make sure I tune him and Sully in on Sunday mornings as I'm driving in to the stadium. That said, I'd just as soon hear Howard go solo (and preferably in the afternoon slot), but I think he likes having someone there to banter with.

Afternoons: I'll be dead honest -- I don't listen much. I didn't mind Mike on WNSA (although for some reason, his 15-minute rant on why Hasek should be the Sabres' captain, until McManus finally cut him off by reminding him about the rule that says a goalie CAN'T wear the C, still sticks in my mind after all these years). Parker is a vet who plays his "voice of the fan" part well. But for some reason, when the two of them get together, they grate on my nerves. I actually enjoyed Parker's take when Brad would fill in; haven't heard him much with Nick, but I'm guessing I'd have a similar reaction. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick take a bigger role with the station, in fact.

As for Schopp's current on-air personality ... not my style, and I think I'd best leave it at that.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

Obviously the whole premise of this thread is invalid because Mike did grow up here, loves the area, has had numerous offers to leave but choose to stay and hosts the number one talk show in the area.

Mike loves hockey and baseball and admittedly football is not his favorite sport. There may be a lot to disagree with but to post something that is totally incorrect is infantile and ridiculous.

By the way the whole " I usually defend this or I am a fan of this but" is one of the most laughed about cliches when the mike's off.

Obviously the whole premise of this thread is invalid because Mike did grow up here, loves the area, has had numerous offers to leave but choose to stay and hosts the number one talk show in the area.

Mike loves hockey and baseball and admittedly football is not his favorite sport. There may be a lot to disagree with but to post something that is totally incorrect is infantile and ridiculous.

By the way the whole " I usually defend this or I am a fan of this but" is one of the most laughed about cliches when the mike's off.

Thanks for the clarification, Mike...

Wait. I encouraged someone to listen to Schopp? Was I ill that day? :lol:

Guessing I was responding to someone who was bashing him without listening to him, and I do still have a problem with that, as well as some of the personal attacks I've seen here and elsewhere.

Morning drive: You've been here long enough to know that Howard is one of my favorite people in the business. Jeremy still goes a little too much for the "edgy" sound IMO, but I don't mind that as much as I used to, and I always make sure I tune him and Sully in on Sunday mornings as I'm driving in to the stadium. That said, I'd just as soon hear Howard go solo (and preferably in the afternoon slot), but I think he likes having someone there to banter with.

Afternoons: I'll be dead honest -- I don't listen much. I didn't mind Mike on WNSA (although for some reason, his 15-minute rant on why Hasek should be the Sabres' captain, until McManus finally cut him off by reminding him about the rule that says a goalie CAN'T wear the C, still sticks in my mind after all these years). Parker is a vet who plays his "voice of the fan" part well. But for some reason, when the two of them get together, they grate on my nerves. I actually enjoyed Parker's take when Brad would fill in; haven't heard him much with Nick, but I'm guessing I'd have a similar reaction. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick take a bigger role with the station, in fact.

As for Schopp's current on-air personality ... not my style, and I think I'd best leave it at that.

Although Vancouver proved that Mike was right and McManus wrong.

If you want to know what the village idiot and his understudy thinks of the Bills, tune into GR in the afternoon. I occasionally listen for the unintentional humor.

I have heard him talk about being a Bills fan back in the early 90's etc.. on the air. He talks about tennis way too much.

Although Vancouver proved that Mike was right and McManus wrong.

Nope. Rule 6.1, last paragraph: "No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain." The Canucks can call Luongo whatever they like, but he cannot wear the C or deal with referees during the games.

Nope. Rule 6.1, last paragraph: "No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain." The Canucks can call Luongo whatever they like, but he cannot wear the C or deal with referees during the games.

Its semantics. The Canuck players know that Luongo is their captain and leader although he cannot have the same responsibilities as a regular on ice captain. In essence that is all Mike was suggesting Hasek was. Vancouver was just a little more progressive in their thinking then the average NHL team.

Also, I am pretty sure, but admit I may be wrong, that the NHL does recognize Luongo as the captain.

Hmm. Why tell us this? Where's the "mike" here? Where's the "mike" in general? What "mike"? How do you know what is happening when this "mike" is turned off?

Just asking....

Edit: Oh, and what does "the number one talk show in the area" have to do with this? Why do we care about offers Schop has had, and how do you know that he has gotten them?

Again, just asking.....

Hmm. Why tell us this? Where's the "mike" here? Where's the "mike" in general? What "mike"? How do you know what is happening when this "mike" is turned off?

Just asking....

Edit: Oh, and what does "the number one talk show in the area" have to do with this? Why do we care about offers Schop has had, and how do you know that he has gotten them?

Again, just asking.....

Just calling out a ridiculous post. Whenever anybody qualifies a post or a phone call for that matter with "I usually defend this" or "I've always been a fan of but" you know where its heading. We have now spent how much time discussing a statement which obviously never occurred.

He said, "I didn't grow up here rooting for the Bills."

I'm assuming you can understand how I mistook that. It actually is not even the point of what I said. Whether or not he actually grew up here or not has little to do with what he said on the air.

Don't know what you meant by that last statement, but nice try.

Just calling out a ridiculous post. Whenever anybody qualifies a post or a phone call for that matter with "I usually defend this" or "I've always been a fan of but" you know where its heading. We have now spent how much time discussing a statement which obviously never occurred.

To quote Braveheart: Answer the fing question(s). This is a message board, we obviously have the time....

Edit: and what does the bolded part mean? I don't think we qualify phone calls here. I know we are free to do tech work on this site, but I haven't heard of anybody working on VOIP.

Just asking....

Again, just asking.....

Where there's smoke, there's fire... :lol:

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

I remember a few years ago Shopp was disgusted with hockey. It was during the playoffs and he made a comment that he hadn't been watching any of the games. He's so cool. So I sent him an email and said, "hey, isn't it your job to watch the games and discuss them and know what you're talking about?" Why would this guy choose this profession? I live in the Boston area, and listen to one show, Dale and Holly, and these guys know their teams. All four of them, and college. Anyways, the following day after I sent the Shopp the email he said he was going to start watching the playoffs. Glad I could help him get back on track. Guess he fell of the wagon.

To quote Braveheart: Answer the fing question(s). This is a message board, we obviously have the time....

Edit: and what does the bolded part mean? I don't think we qualify phone calls here. I know we are free to do tech work on this site, but I haven't heard of anybody working on VOIP.

I did answer the question.