FREENEY

Height: 6'1

Weight: 266 lbs

40 time: 4.48

Vertical Leap: 37 inch

Bench Press: 28 reps of 225 pounds

Overall Draft Pick: 11th overall

Can he be the next Freeney?!

Those aren't even close. Also, Freeney ran a 4.38 at the Combine.

Yea he was in the 4.5 range at his pro day....but that number's almost always lower at pro days because it isn't official.

But regardless, the guy has a pretty sick first burst, thats for sure.

He's quick enough to run down a QB.

MAYBIN

Height: 6'4

Weight: 250

40 time: 4.89

Vertical Leap: 38 inch

Bench Press: 22 reps of 225 pounds

FREENEY

Height: 6'1

Weight: 266 lbs

40 time: 4.48

Vertical Leap: 37 inch

Bench Press: 28 reps of 225 pounds

Can he be the next Freeney?!

Not likely. 1, he isn't playing on turf all year. but 2nd, he is taller and skinnier and significantly slower/weaker. think of him more like a slower jason taylor than dwight freeny.

Not likely. 1, he isn't playing on turf all year. but 2nd, he is taller and skinnier and significantly slower/weaker. think of him more like a slower jason taylor than dwight freeny.

Well actually that is what I would like to know is if he really is slower then Jason Taylor

Because it looks to me like they have similar physics

Stop comparing physical attributes of Maybin and Freeney. It's irrelevent. For christ sake... maybe you better compare Maybin woth Erik Flowers... it would make more sense. Freeney was the man. he was a beast for 3 years... not a one season wonder like Maybin (and Flowers). And, he set sack records in an era when Syracuse football was somewhat competitive. Freeney was a force with Indy right off the bat. Maybin won't be with the Bills. He ain't steppin in and takin nobody's job this year.

Yea he was in the 4.5 range at his pro day....but that number's almost always lower at pro days because it isn't official.

But regardless, the guy has a pretty sick first burst, thats for sure.

He'll be real sick, when an NFL tackle moves outside then gives him a 300 lb. elbow to the chops.

The bench press and straight-away speed numbers are a little concerning. Twenty-two reps is pretty mediocre. For comparison, a player like Percy Harvin who weighs 190 lbs. did 25 reps of 225 at his Pro Day.

Now, if he can produce, that all comes out in the wash. But given the combination of his relatively slight build, and his mediocre speed and strength, that first step better be really explosive.

No - he's not the next Freeney. He's 3 inches taller and has a lot lankier body. This guy could be the next Bruce Smith depending on how well he adds weight and strength. Hopefully he'll be able to stay at or around 250 and still have that first step. The guy seems like too hard-working and athletic to end up out of the league in 4 years, so his floor is probably as a situational passrusher/dime rusher. Hopefully we don't ever have to face that.

Also, who cares about a DE's 40 time? I only care about how quickly he can cover the first 10 yards.

The bench press and straight-away speed numbers are a little concerning. Twenty-two reps is pretty mediocre. For comparison, a player like Percy Harvin who weighs 190 lbs. did 25 reps of 225 at his Pro Day.

Now, if he can produce, that all comes out in the wash. But given the combination of his relatively slight build, and his mediocre speed and strength, that first step better be really explosive.

It's easier if you're a smaller guy with shorter arms.

I'm hoping he will develop physically a little more since he is only 21.

Could someone (INTELLIGENTLY) explain the need for a 40 time for a defensive lineman? I understand quickness is important - but top speed is less so. I'm genuinely curious - so if you actually know, help? Thanks

Could someone (INTELLIGENTLY) explain the need for a 40 time for a defensive lineman? I understand quickness is important - but top speed is less so. I'm genuinely curious - so if you actually know, help? Thanks

40 time is irrelevant. You look at a DEs 10 yard burst.