Alright team, back to work

Now that we've chewed on, swallowed and regurgitated day one, what do we do now? There are 56 picks before we pick in the 4th round (#121) and some nice players still left. I know most of us are thinking LB and TE.

D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt.

Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama.

Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida .

Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond.

Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Mississippi.

Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech.

Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina.

Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose State.

Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina.

Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa.

James Casey, TE, Rice.

Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State.

Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina State.

Asher Allen, CB, Georgia.

Tyrone Mckenzie, OLB, South Florida.

Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma.

Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State.

Alex Magee, DT, Purdue.

Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri.

Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State.

Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina.

T.J. Lang, OT, Eastern Michigan.

Brandon Williams, DE, Texas Tech.

Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio State.

Tyronne Green, OG, Auburn.

Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa.

James Casey, TE, Rice.

Alex Magee, DT, Purdue.

Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina.

i'd take any of the bolded ones in the 4th and 5th..I wouldnt mind Brandon Long OLB/DE in the 5th either

well I guess they could always put Maybin at SLB and grab either Johnson or Gilbert(who is a DT that I'm assuming can play DE) or even Brandon Long DE/OLB

There are good 6 TE´s left:

Shawn Nelson, Chase Coffmann, Travis Beckum, Jared Cook, Cornelius Ingram and James Casey

There is a good chance one or two of them will make it to our Pick at 121.....

I do not think we will make a trade anymore.....also not with Kelsay, Simpson and Parrish. And lets forget Scheffler und Henderson

Once we get beyond the first round or into the second I have not really seen enough of the players to make an intelligent judgment. However, since the TSW approach is usually based on fact=free opinions why let this stop me.

1. With the seemingly nonsensical pick of Byrd (non-sense to those who do not realize as the crapshoot known as the NFL draft is primarily about marketing the product often by telling entertaining stories and is secondarily about building a winning team) the Bills showed their devotion to following their board assessing player talent rather than being primarily driven by need. The Bills do go for need often with their 1st pick (Whitner for example) but to a large extent the Bills follow their pre-determined rankings of who is the best player available. They seen to factor in what other players will be available(thus they leapt up a few spots to get McCargo and as it turns out no other DT was even judged worthy a second round choice so they made sure they got McCargo because need is a factor but mostly in the first couple of picks.

They chose Pos in the 2nd with a substantial nod toward need, but they also chose Edwards in the 3rd with no perceived need at QB at the time(the quality of Edwards play was a bolt of lightening as many had him as our disaster QB and then after he fought his way to #2 it was a dirty hit by a Pats player that forced him into the game showing that the model of choosing players based on how good we think they are rather than being driven by need is the way to go. Likewise with the McCargo pick the team reasonably could have been done at DT in this draft, but they judged Williams to be the BPA in the 5th and lo and behold he not only beat out McCargo but proved capable of starting.

So from here on out, need is a diminishing factor and knowledge (guesses of the Bills board will drive choices.

2. That being said, looking at need is a good way to assess this draft so far. Overall, the baseline for a team is two first day choices and it is to be hoped two starters (though if a team got 2 players on the first day of a draft who were first on their team's depth chart starting the next season they would call it a great draft rather than simply meeting the often false conventional wisdom that a first round choice should start. it happens to be true a bit over 50% of the time, but the course taken of a player Eric Moulds where for two years he produced nothing for the Bills and then for years was a perenial Pro Bowl threat and consensus was he was the best athlete on the team despite many fans being more than willing to call him a bust after two years.

My assessment of the team unit by unit after day is-

DL- The team invests heavily in a rotation system here so there actually should be serious PT deep into the lineup. Maybin is a very good fit here given the talents he showed in college. The complaints that we should have taken one of the DEs who has shown the capability to play 3 downs which Maybin has not simply demonstrate a lack of football knowledge because a 3 down DL player is not what the Bills will use well since a 3 down DL would rarely if ever be called upon to play 3 downs consecutively,

Maybin is a mutant who does one thing insanely well at the sacrifice of being a 3 down player. However, the thing he does well with his fastest in the draft first step, great straight line speed (an indicator not an absolute measure as players rarely go straight line) and tremendous arm length. Maybin was ranked so highly because he is clearly situational, but still he has ability to rush from either side, often played the strong side where he developed his ability to make a second move instead of just depending on his speed and he demonstrated some ability to play the run which often came at him on the strong side. If he develops any ability to pass cover in the short zone for the zone blitz schemes we run he can become a potent force. If he is a fast enough rusher that two players get assigned to him on each play (one head on and one chip blocker) and instead he drops back into the short zone and the SLB fires in while blockers are looking for Maybin he might be just what our pass rush ordered.

The Bills will be returning about 10 DL players who saw PT last year and with the addition of Maybin we may see three guys who made the squad last year get cut (Brya, McCargo, and maybe Ellis who it is too early to give up on but the Bills sorry sack totals last year and the team going to a 1st to supplement this has got to be a vote of no confidence in Smith. Ke;say may be at risk but I doubt it.

LB- Still probably an LB short (we will see how highly they think of MacKenzie) the one need pick they might still make. However, with Bowen coming back after losing his entire rookie season and with the FA addition of Thomas the situation with the current roster is not optimum but not devastating either.

DBs- A pretty full house here makes the pick of Byrd interesting (They musy really like him. It's no wonder that they are openly talking about him at safety with 5 guys returning though I think the Bills would prefer 6 with one having primarily an ST contribution. Like LB we can use another bu Byrd looks to be it and if they pick up no other DBs its not devastating. One must wonder whether the arrest of Whitner may actually be a sign of him being at risk as a team leader.

OL- Massive improvement since yesterday morning with three players who will compete to start being taken already in his draft. Still by the numbers we will be fortunate if two of these payers prove good enough to start and the unit lacks a natural leader until folks like Wood are around for a while or Walker really steps up his game, Usually seven-eight OL players make the active roster each week and with the 2 draft picks likely making it and FA Hamgartner this means at least one player who made the roster last year (or maybe two) will be sitting each weekend this year.

RB- Once Lynch works through the suspension this becomes a deep unit with surprising jackson bound to the Bills (though Peters demonstrated that the FO will cave and send you to make big bucks elsewhere so maybe Jackson follows up his skipping voluntary workouts with a hissy fit to get the Bills to cave again,

TE- We are not one but two players short if we view the TE as playing a key role in our attack as a TE in this role needs to be adept at both receiving and blocking (and preferably is a real demonstrated talent at one of these. Schouman is a contributor at ST primarily and Fine has potential as a receiver after a rookie season hindered by injury but neither is a credible plan B at TE. I advocate skipping TE in the reat of the draft and instead look for H-backs to solve both the TE and FB deficits. An H-back is simply not used or called upon to show the balanced skills of a player capable of starting at TE.

WR- We are quite deep where even with the current roster seeing Evans, TO, Parrish, Reed, Hardy and Johnson being pretty sure at getting a spot that is 6 and all they may keep on the roster after pre-season with two players Jenkina and Huggins who saw gametime last year probably being the odd people out.

With the Bills having the skill jobs on each ST unit set some folks are gonna get cut who credibly could stay.

Its no wonder the consensus among pundits is that the Bills did quite well on the first day. They had four choices in the first two rounds and as 3 of them might start this was a very good day.

Now that we've chewed on, swallowed and regurgitated day one, what do we do now? There are 56 picks before we pick in the 4th round (#121) and some nice players still left. I know most of us are thinking LB and TE.

Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa.

James Casey, TE, Rice.

Alex Magee, DT, Purdue.

Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina. (don't need another reeiver but he is gonna be a great pick for someone)

A lot of ball player there. I think a lot of this depends on where Maybin is gonna play. Freeman is a very solid potential starting OLB and I also like Jason Williams of Western Illinois.

I also would love a dice roll on Michael Johnson. you can never have enough pass rushers and this would see to motivate a kid like this. A top 5 talent not going until at least teh 3rd. Sidbury is also high on my list and the TEs. This has the potential to be a very good draft, though I nearly lost after teh Byrd pick. :thumbsup:

what happened to our 3rd round pick?i thought we gave a 3rd and 4th to move up.i also thought we had a extra 3rd from philly.so shouldnt we of had 2 3rd rounders?

No. Philly gives a 1st (28) and a fourth this year (121). We have send our only 3rd (75) and our original 4th (110) to Dallas. I hopr this is correct. ;-)

We also have from Philly a 6th Rounder next year....wow ;-)

No. Philly gives a 1st (28) and a fourth this year (121). We have send our only 3rd (75) and our original 4th (110) to Dallas. I hopr this is correct. ;-)

We also have from Philly a 6th Rounder next year....wow ;-)

my bad for some reason i thought we got a 1st and a 3rd for letting outr left tackle go lol lol,,,a 1st and a 4th and a 6th next year.....