McShay just gave us the best draft

And I'm sure this was said before the drafted Brady. Parker from Alabama might be good. Who knows? My point is, why not take a flier on something besides a crowded secondary?

Add up the secondary picks starting from 06. It is over the top and indefensible given our record.

But you do realize that we only drafted ONE CB this year so far right? Nick = LB and Byrd = S and both were big needs...Cary is the only true DB we drafted...you cant lump S in with a CB, they are two totally different positions and its like lumping TE in with WR...they have two totally different sets of responsibilities...

So, drafting what could be a really good S for us was a big need...regardless of what we have or havent drafted in the past, we NEEDED a Safety big time...so we got one. Why do you have an issue with drafting players we despertately needed?

We didnt go for a true CB until round 6th where we got very good value as he was projected as a 3rd round pick. He could be good depth for us at FS and CB and may even beat out Corner or Youboty because the kid can play.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy your posts, but you are nuts.

Why is he nuts? Our D Line looks pretty good right now...you know we were a top 10 ranked D and 3rd ranked rush D before injuries killed us last year...

Our interior line was hurt more by the lack of push on the outside once Schobel went down. They just doubled Stroud on every play.

But you do realize that we only drafted ONE CB this year so far right? Nick = LB and Byrd = S and both were big needs...Cary is the only true DB we drafted...you cant lump S in with a CB, they are two totally different positions and its like lumping TE in with WR...they have two totally different sets of responsibilities...

So, drafting what could be a really good S for us was a big need...regardless of what we have or havent drafted in the past, we NEEDED a Safety big time...so we got one. Why do you have an issue with drafting players we despertately needed?

We didnt go for a true CB until round 6th where we got very good value as he was projected as a 3rd round pick. He could be good depth for us at FS and CB and may even beat out Corner or Youboty because the kid can play.

Why stop there? Why not break it down into press corners and zone corners? And guys that can play the slot vs. those that can't? It's different skills and responsibilities, right? How about guys that can blitz off the corner vs. those that can't? Or guys that are good tacklers vs. guys that have ball skills? I'm sure if we make enough categories, we can make it look like the Bills still have a shitload of major holes in the defensive backfield! :thumbsup:

Why is he nuts? Our D Line looks pretty good right now...you know we were a top 10 ranked D and 3rd ranked rush D before injuries killed us last year...

Our interior line was hurt more by the lack of push on the outside once Schobel went down. They just doubled Stroud on every play.

I could be wrong but I'd say the top 10 D (and 3rd rushing D) went out the window when we started playing decent teams more so than JUST because of injuries. I'd also expect Stroud to be doubled almost every play regardless of Schobel...until we get another legit tackle.

Why stop there? Why not break it down into press corners and zone corners? And guys that can play the slot vs. those that can't? It's different skills and responsibilities, right? How about guys that can blitz off the corner vs. those that can't? Or guys that are good tacklers vs. guys that have ball skills? I'm sure if we make enough categories, we can make it look like the Bills still have a shitload of major holes in the defensive backfield! :thumbsup:

You must not know football if you want to discount that there is a major difference from safety to corner back...make all the jokes you want, but they are LISTED as different positions on an NFL roster, or any football roster for that matter, for a reason...

Or we could stick to the legitimate distinction the guy you quoted made, which is that CBs and Safeties have significantly different responsibilities in an NFL defensive backfield. Suggesting that drafting a FS is the same as if we had drafted a CB shows a clear lack of understanding about how and NFL defense functions, particularly that played by the Bills. The fact is, Buffalo has had a phenomenal draft, focusing on positions where our needs were desperate. Why do some fans here have to find ways to be negative no matter what? Why even put yourself through the ups and downs of being a fan if you never see an up?

I could be wrong but I'd say the top 10 D (and 3rd rushing D) went out the window when we started playing decent teams more so than JUST because of injuries. I'd also expect Stroud to be doubled almost every play regardless of Schobel...until we get another legit tackle.

Three of the first 4 teams we faced were some of the best rushing teams in the league...and we didnt allow a 100 yard rusher in any of those games...people underestimate how good Schobel is against the run...losing him made a big difference...

Jax

Raiders

St. Louis

2 of Parcells first three picks this year were dbs, then a gimmicky qb to run the wildcat. One Corner in the sixth from USC (who may have a thing or two on a few Sanchez tells) won't end the commitment to some grinders on the Bills side. Yeesh.

Miami used their 5 picks in the first year of the Parcells era on lineman: OT Jake Long, DE Philip Merling, DE Kendall Langford, OG Shawn Murphy, and OG Donald Thomas. They'd previously signed OG Justin Smiley, and this season inked Jake Grove while re-signing RT Vernon Carey.

He builds from the lines out. As does Andy Reid. Any team without a DL and OL in a rebuild project that doesn't take big guys first is handling it all wrong.

Or we could stick to the legitimate distinction the guy you quoted made, which is that CBs and Safeties have significantly different responsibilities in an NFL defensive backfield. Suggesting that drafting a FS is the same as if we had drafted a CB shows a clear lack of understanding about how and NFL defense functions, particularly that played by the Bills. The fact is, Buffalo has had a phenomenal draft, focusing on positions where our needs were desperate. Why do some fans here have to find ways to be negative no matter what? Why even put yourself through the ups and downs of being a fan if you never see an up?

:thumbsup:

Miami used their 5 picks in the first year of the Parcells era on lineman: OT Jake Long, DE Philip Merling, DE Kendall Langford, OG Shawn Murphy, and OG Donald Thomas. They'd previously signed OG Justin Smiley, and this season inked Jake Grove while re-signing RT Vernon Carey.

He builds from the lines out. As does Andy Reid. Any team without a DL and OL in a rebuild project that doesn't take big guys first is handling it all wrong.

I'm not talking about last year - I'm talking about this year and the picks we made to do just that. But y'all continue whining, nothing can be done to change it.

Have you even watched the draft or offseason? We brought in guys on the O Line, one which I think was a great FA signing, and then drafted arguably the best pass rusher, C and G in the draft...\

WE ARE BUILDING our lines...

I'm assuming that you weren't suggesting that the Bills had failed to do this, considering that we drafted four players for the lines and also brought two OL in the offseason. The Bills have finally addressed the lines in a significant and important way. I actually see a lot of things to be positive about for the upcoming season, particularly in regard to our OL.

Yes, I fully understand that you would like anybody that criticizes the Bills to leave this board. Good luck with that.

The people that have formed up the circle jerk session to suggest that Jairus Byrd is "strictly a FS" need to pull their heads out of their buttocks. “We’re looking at trying him at free safety,” said Catavolos. “He can play a number of positions for us. I think that he can be a productive free safety. He’s got excellent ball skills, he reads the quarterback well, he plays the ball well in the air. So this is a flexible athlete for us.

Alpha, for the first time in weeks I think you and I are actually on the same page.

By saying we're building the line? It takes actual facts for you guys to be on the same page?

WTF was that rambling above about us not building from the inside out?

Yes, I fully understand that you would like anybody that criticizes the Bills to leave this board. Good luck with that.

The people that have formed up the circle jerk session to suggest that Jairus Byrd is "strictly a FS" need to pull their heads out of their buttocks. “We’re looking at trying him at free safety,” said Catavolos. “He can play a number of positions for us. I think that he can be a productive free safety. He’s got excellent ball skills, he reads the quarterback well, he plays the ball well in the air. So this is a flexible athlete for us.

No one is a lock at any position until they prove it on the field, but its already been said by Byrd and the FO that he was drafted to play safety...

I think with Byrd being flexible we also can interchange him with Whitner more either in the box, as the slot guy and as the deep safety - no problems with that. If anything, he may eliminate more guys from having a job and lead to their being cut/traded.

I'm assuming that you weren't suggesting that the Bills had failed to do this, considering that we drafted four players for the lines and also brought two OL in the offseason. The Bills have finally addressed the lines in a significant and important way. I actually see a lot of things to be positive about for the upcoming season, particularly in regard to our OL.

I believe when a new GM enters the fray, the fastest way to rebuilding a team is to build the OL and DL. It's cliche, but it works. I'm not clear why it wasn't done in 06 when the Bills were faced with very little talent on either line. Parcells did it in MIA, Dimitroff in ATL, and edit: Ozzie Newsome in BAL way back when.

I like that they've used early picks on OL and DL. But had there been more picks in 06 and 07 in this area, we might not need to have done it this season.

There's so many variables to consider, as in who was available in 06 and 07, but those were the years to be starting with the OL and DL in draft. You can't buy an OL and DL and back then that was the prevailing thought of Levy and the front office.