Anyone ever have a sleep study done?

buckeyemike

My doctor thinks I have obstructive sleep apnea and I'm going to be monitored tonight at a local sleep center. They will attach electrodes to me and keep track of my breathing.

I'm sure the fact I have asthma doesn't help matters. I'm also overweight, but I'm finally eating better and starting to drop some pounds. Supposedly, these are factors.

Anyone else ever get this done?

My doctor thinks I have obstructive sleep apnea and I'm going to be monitored tonight at a local sleep center. They will attach electrodes to me and keep track of my breathing.

I'm sure the fact I have asthma doesn't help matters. I'm also overweight, but I'm finally eating better and starting to drop some pounds. Supposedly, these are factors.

I haven't. But I am glad that you are doing so. You need to find out.

I follow health things in general because I'm old and have defective parts, and in my readings, I have learned that there are answers to be found in these studies.

Sleep studies are about the easiest test to do. They attach a bunch of sensors to you and have you go to sleep. If they find that you have sleep apnea, they will usually wake you up and put a cpap mask on you to see if that corrects the problem.

They send the results to your doc who will write a script for a cpap machine and mask if you need it.

I am thinking of having one done from about mid-September, until the second weekend in January... :huh:

I haven't but I hear a lot about them. My girlfriend works as a marketing manager for a pharmaceutical company that develops a drug that curbs the affect of drowsiness that is related with sleep apnea. The drug is targeted to those who are diagnosed with sleep apnea after a sleep study is conducted.

i want to monitor this thread...

the more i have been hearing and reading about sleep apnea, the more i am starting to wonder if i have it. (i had no idea what it even was until like a year ago)

but i think i have at least some or most of the symptoms and have been considering getting a sleep study done but have not had the time yet.

i will stick around to check for updates, let me know how it went please!

This is why I'm having the study done:

1) I snore. A lot, and quite heavily. I've actually snored while dozing off at the computer screen. That happened just the other day.

2) Kim swore I stopped breathing in my sleep about a month ago. That scared me.

3) Obstructive sleep apnea contributed to Reggie White's death.

My dad had one done several months ago and it was concluded that he suffered from sleep apnea. The choices were the mask or surgery. He said no way in hell he was going to wear that ridiculous mask every night for the rest of his life. So he elected for the surgery. They cut out his uvula (and I believe something else). Anyway, several months later he complains that this throat still feels scratchy and uncomfortable (like the sutures are still there) and he has lost some of his sense of smell and taste. And on top of all that, he doesn't feel much more refreshed in the morning like he thought he would.

So I don't know if his case is the norm or an exception, but I'd avoid the surgery if you have the option. My two cents anyway...

I've had three done. I hated them. In the second one I didn't sleep at all the whole night necessitating a third one. I have sleep apnea and I have a machine prescribed, but I can't sleep with the damn thing so we're having to look into alternatives.

I have had 3 sleep studies done

the 1st was after I had my deviated septum, execess adniod tissue,removed,

and bi lateral ears tubes put in place

I have a long history of snoring loudly and heavily

since i was a kid, I also stopped breathing and at

times would wake up gasping for air

I also have chronic sinustitus

after the surgery my ENT said he wanted me to have a sleep study

done since i was complaining of not sleeping well, always felt tired

when i would wake up and waking up with headaches

that SS showed I had EXTREME OSA. the tech said i would stop

breathing for upto 1.5 min at a time and i was recorded stopping

breathing 113 times during the 7 hour test

I was Rxed a CPAP machine set to 14 cpi then after about

2 mouths I asked for a humidifier to attach to it since i was

waking up in the morning with a dry mouth and throat

kinda like you feel when you have a cold and breath through

your mouth

well anyway, after I had used the CPAP I did feel much more

awake when i would get up in the morning...

so it did help me and it is not a problem for me to

wear the mask

just my $.02

YMMV

No but I have had discussions before regarding it. It is all designed for one solution - the mask you wear when you sleep. Doctors recommend it too much in my opinion.

You haven't, but you know why it is recommended? Interesting.

Anyway Mike, I've had one done and I do have apnea, but not to a degree that my insurance would pay for corrective surgery. There are a couple surgical options that were explained to me, but without insurance picking up the tab the wife has to suffer. (in many ways)

I have had two. One at the sleep center, and years later one in my home, with a recording machine. It's weird being wired up, at the sleep center, but it's really not a big deal. Needless to say, the home test was better.

Damn. You're lucky. I can't stand the damn thing. I just can't sleep with it on. Literally I'll just lay there all night no matter how tired I am.

I've been using a cpap nightly for over 10 years. It's important to try several different types of masks to see which works best for you. I hate the nasal pillow type masks since they blow directly up your nose. Some dig into your nose, some headgears don't seem to fit my head right. I've been using an Ultra Mirage II that works well for me. Usually fall asleep in 5-10 min each night.

When I first started using one, my main problem was shallow breathing rather than apnea which would not have been corrected by surgery, so I never considered it. I have heard that the surgery is pretty painful and may not work at all in some cases. But, if you hate the mask, it might be worth doing.