Scouting Profiles Article - Directly from NFL scouts

Gives pretty detailed information on the top 10 players at each position in the draft, with quotes directly from NFL scots and personnel.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index...p;thread=333250

Great; thanks.

I think this has to be Parcells:

AFC personnel director: "I draft defensive tackles before I draft pass rushers. I can manufacture a pass rusher but not a defensive tackle. When I first came in the league this old scout told me there's only X number of big people on this earth. If they can move around, draft them."

Great; thanks.

AFC personnel director: "I draft defensive tackles before I draft pass rushers. I can manufacture a pass rusher but not a defensive tackle. When I first came in the league this old scout told me there's only X number of big people on this earth. If they can move around, draft them."

Sounds like solid reasoning. Whoever it is, I am sure he does well.

Here's a question: why is Orakpo listed as a OLB while Brown and Maybin are listed at DE's? I would think it would be the opposite, if anything.

The Press-Gazette writer on there has all three of them listed at OLBs.

7. PAUL KRUGER Utah 6-4 1/2 261 4.82 2

Spent two years on a Mormon mission and played two seasons, finishing with 10½ sacks and 124 tackles (24 for loss). "His speed bothers me," Polian said. "But he will play, and play well. He will be like Chris Kelsay in Buffalo."

:huh:

Gives pretty detailed information on the top 10 players at each position in the draft, with quotes directly from NFL scots and personnel.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index...p;thread=333250

There really is a lot of stuff in there. Very informative. I have changed my mind on several players (both for the good and bad) after reading it, and I still have a good deal to go. I wasn't aware of how bad some the medical issues are, especially Ingram's, who I liked before and now wouldn't touch.

The Press-Gazette writer on there has all three of them listed at OLBs.

Are you reading the same article the rest of us are??

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Name School HT. WT. 40-Yd. Dash Rd.

1. TYSON JACKSON Louisiana State 6-4 296 4.96 1

2. AARON MAYBIN Penn State 6-4 250 4.73 1

3. ROBERT AYERS Tennessee 6-3 272 4.80 1

4. EVERETTE BROWN Florida State 6-1 1/2 256 4.66 1-2

5. MICHAEL JOHNSON Georgia Tech 6-7 266 4.69 1-2

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. BRIAN ORAKPO Texas 6-3 262 4.65 1

2. CLAY MATTHEWS Southern California 6-3 245 4.61 1

3. LARRY ENGLISH Northern Illinois 6-2 252 4.83 1-2

Are you reading the same article the rest of us are??

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. TYSON JACKSON Louisiana State 6-4 296 4.96 1

2. AARON MAYBIN Penn State 6-4 250 4.73 1

3. ROBERT AYERS Tennessee 6-3 272 4.80 1

4. EVERETTE BROWN Florida State 6-1 1/2 256 4.66 1-2

5. MICHAEL JOHNSON Georgia Tech 6-7 266 4.69 1-2

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. BRIAN ORAKPO Texas 6-3 262 4.65 1

2. CLAY MATTHEWS Southern California 6-3 245 4.61 1

3. LARRY ENGLISH Northern Illinois 6-2 252 4.83 1-2

I sure am. There are several areas of information on there, as it really is just a loosely organized compilation. The compiler pasted a lot of text on the page but he also included a lot of links. This link, which is the first reference on the page to OLBs, is what I am talking about: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/articl...1/90418069/1058

Great; thanks.

Probably not Parcells tends to prefer pass rushers. Infact during his entire tenure with the giants as a def coordinator and head coach the giants never picked a dt earlier than the 5th rd. During his tenure with ne same thing. Chose pass rushers early and often, as well as mixing in db's. Same situation with the jets. Parcells showed up at a new team and his first pick were generally lb's. I doubt highly that's parcells saying that. It wouldnt suprise me if that was Scott Pioli however. Seymour, Wilfork, Ty Warren, and he generally skimped out on going after pass rushing lb's or ends.

Probably not Parcells tends to prefer pass rushers. Infact during his entire tenure with the giants as a def coordinator and head coach the giants never picked a dt earlier than the 5th rd. During his tenure with ne same thing. Chose pass rushers early and often, as well as mixing in db's. Same situation with the jets. Parcells showed up at a new team and his first pick were generally lb's. I doubt highly that's parcells saying that. It wouldnt suprise me if that was Scott Pioli however. Seymour, Wilfork, Ty Warren, and he generally skimped out on going after pass rushing lb's or ends.

Actually, Parcells is widely attributed with the "planet theory" of DTs -- that is, there are only so many of these huge guys on the planet, so you better get them. Sometimes they're available after the first round, and oftentimes they're vets (ie, Jason Ferguson).

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seaso...lls-person.html

'Bill Parcells is a guy that subscribes to the "planet theory" when it comes to players. He learned this from one of his mentors in the NFL, George Young. George Young once told him that there are only so many large people with athletic skills on the planet, and when you get the chance to get one, you do it. You can look at Bill Parcells's draft history, whether he was in control or only giving input, and see that he loves to take big, athletic defensive linemen and offensive linemen. Look at players like Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Jason Ferguson, and Shaun Ellis.

Bill also likes the thoroughbreds on the outside though. He loves to take those defensive end/outside linebacker hybrid players that have size, speed, and can get after the quarterback. Willie McGinest and Chris Slade were two of his high draft picks in New England. He took John Abraham with the Jets. With the Cowboys, DeMarcus Ware was a pick.

It's pretty obvious to me that big defensive linemen and those outside hybrid players will be the focus of the Dolphins early picks in this draft. Another thing Bill believes in is building from the inside out.

Bill's two mentors in the NFL are George Young and Ron Wolf, two of the greatest general managers and talent evaluators in NFL history. Both of those men believed in getting big, athletic players and focusing on building from the inside out.

So, with the Dolphins first pick, I would anticipate the decision coming down to Glenn Dorsey from LSU, Chris Long from Virginia, and Vernon Gholston from Ohio State.'

Dead on Dave. Planet theory is quoted in his book. Parcells likes big guys.

Actually, Parcells is widely attributed with the "planet theory" of DTs -- that is, there are only so many of these huge guys on the planet, so you better get them. Sometimes they're available after the first round, and oftentimes they're vets (ie, Jason Ferguson).

'Bill Parcells is a guy that subscribes to the "planet theory" when it comes to players. He learned this from one of his mentors in the NFL, George Young. George Young once told him that there are only so many large people with athletic skills on the planet, and when you get the chance to get one, you do it. You can look at Bill Parcells's draft history, whether he was in control or only giving input, and see that he loves to take big, athletic defensive linemen and offensive linemen. Look at players like Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Jason Ferguson, and Shaun Ellis.

I think I like Cook or Coffman just as much as Pettigrew.

TIGHT ENDS

1. BRANDON PETTIGREW Oklahoma State 6-5½ 264 4.82 1-2

"He can block, he can run, he catches the ball," Brocato said. "Really a complete guy." Four-year starter. "This kid is better than that," Chicago GM Jerry Angelo said, comparing him to Bubba Franks. "Same kind of blocker but he's better in the passing game. If you want more of a receiver you go in a different direction." Finished with 112 catches for 1,450 yards (13.0) and nine TDs. "Franks probably was a little more accomplished as a receiver and maybe a little flashier coming out of Miami," Savage said. "But Franks ran horribly during the predraft stuff. Pettigrew is maybe a little tougher. Has a little bit of an edge to him."

2. SHAWN NELSON Southern Mississippi 6-5 241 4.54 2

Four-year starter who gave serious consideration to declaring last year. "H-back in a pass-oriented system," Hardaway said. "He's got competitive speed." Finished with 157 receptions for 2,054 yards (13.1) and 16 TDs. "Heck of an athlete," one scout said. "Kind of a flex guy. Never blocks anyone." Earned praise from scouts by going to the Senior Bowl and sticking his nose in as a blocker. "If somebody's expecting him to be a run-block-catch tight end they may end up being a little disappointed," another scout said. "Not necessarily a bad kid but I don't know how smart he is, how into it he is. But if he's used in the proper fashion he could be a legitimate threat. He stood out at the Senior Bowl as an athlete running down the field." Wonderlic of 24.

3. JARED COOK South Carolina 6-4½ 248 4.51 2

Opened eyes at the combine with a 41-inch vertical jump, a blazing 40 and arms measurement of 35¾ inches. "I think he's probably the best overall receiver," St. Louis VP Tony Softli said. "He was a former receiver moved in. At some point they will want him in-line hitting somebody. I think he has that inner toughness to do that." Just a one-year starter. Despite a Wonderlic of 25, he has a hard time with assignments. "He's just an athlete," one scout said. "He's either going to be big-time or a bust. You would think at SC he would score more than three touchdowns this season and seven for his career." Finished with 73 receptions for 1,107 yards (15.2). "He's a specialty item," another scout said. "If you have the imagination and ability to use him properly, which teams do have, you can do it. But by the time he's a blocker we're liable to be wearing different colors."

4. CHASE COFFMAN Missouri 6-6 246 4.8 2-3

Established an NCAA record for receptions by a TE (247); finished second in yards (2,659, 10.8) and TDs (30). "His hands are probably as good as Crabtree's," one scout said. "He has made great catches. He's sort of a loping runner, a Boyd Dowler type. He's really a big wideout." Used almost exclusively from the slot. "People see him as a skinny-framed receiver but he can really catch and he's pretty good with the ball in his hands," Savage said. "He will do enough as a blocker." Father, Paul, was 3 inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter during his Pro Bowl career as a TE for the Packers. Suffered a broken bone on the final play of the Alamo Bowl and still hasn't worked out. Compared by some scouts to Jay Novacek and Jason Witten. "If you look at his combine picture he's not even developed yet," Tennessee scouting coordinator Blake Beddingfield said. "He can get bigger and stronger." Wonderlic of 23.