Kerry's words ... Cheney's "mandate" ...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the House, look at the Senate, look at the margin of victory for Bush. If that isn't a mandate then I don't know that there ever has been one. Take your medicine and work to reform your party. Keep up with the obstructionist attitude and it'll only prolong the suffering.

Look at the House, look at the Senate, look at the margin of victory for Bush.  If that isn't a mandate then I don't know that there ever has been one.  Take your medicine and work to reform your party.  Keep up with the obstructionist attitude and it'll only prolong the suffering.

100668[/snapback]

Bush won, the religious right wing has spoken. But, to say that a 3 million edge in votesm when 110 million people voted is quite a stretch. It makes a nice sound-bite though. Reagan had a mandate. Bush did not. He made up no ground from the last election. Both parties got more people to vote, but they voted pretty much the same. The only sizable shift appears to have been among Latino voters. Much of that can be contributed to wedge issues like gay marriage, that the Republicans did a great job of distracting people with.

Bush won, the religious right wing has spoken.  But, to say that a 3 million edge in votesm when 110 million people voted is quite a stretch.  It makes a nice sound-bite though.  Reagan had a mandate.  Bush did not.  He made up no ground from the last election.  Both parties got more people to vote, but they voted pretty much the same.  The only sizable shift appears to have been among Latino voters.  Much of that can be contributed to wedge issues like gay marriage, that the Republicans did a great job of distracting people with.

100697[/snapback]

What? Last time it was 47-47.5 with Bush winning the electoral vote. Anytime a candidate gets a clear majority (50%) or better it is considered a mandate. Think about how many times that has really occurred over the last 40 years.

Look at the House, look at the Senate, look at the margin of victory for Bush.  If that isn't a mandate then I don't know that there ever has been one.  Take your medicine and work to reform your party.  Keep up with the obstructionist attitude and it'll only prolong the suffering.

100668[/snapback]

I guess obstructionist is better than isolationist

OBAMA in '08

I liked what Kerry said ...

-

--- " But in an American election, there are no losers, because whether or not our candidates are successful, the next morning we all wake up as Americans.  "

-

- Meanwhile, Cheney refers to a 2% victory as a "mandate" ...

-

(*sigh*) Four more years indeed.

100662[/snapback]

Interesteing.... just the other day he was talking about "two Americas". Did that go away? Did the wind shift again?

That's what I thought.

Bush won, the religious right wing has spoken.  But, to say that a 3 million edge in votesm when 110 million people voted is quite a stretch.  It makes a nice sound-bite though.  Reagan had a mandate.  Bush did not.  He made up no ground from the last election.  Both parties got more people to vote, but they voted pretty much the same.  The only sizable shift appears to have been among Latino voters.  Much of that can be contributed to wedge issues like gay marriage, that the Republicans did a great job of distracting people with.

100697[/snapback]

When does the "jesus saves" conservative right start up with the witchcraft trials???

100668[/snapback]

The ironic thing is that the people who suffer are often the same people who give the "mandate". Most of the people I know aren't happy but are well-educated and have good, high-paying jobs as knowledge workers. Their philosophy is "well it doesn't really affect me personally" and for a large part that's true. So they can shrug their shoulders and sigh, then go on to thinking of something else.

Hard times affect those on the bottom harder. And more and more of the middle class are ending up on the bottom. Good times reach them last.

I learned that when I wasn't working. We actually paid more in taxes as a percentage income than we do now.

Whatever - we'll just have to see what happens.

I'm Catholic..its in our bible...i'm waiting for my personal relationship with Jesus.  Too much religion in government

100738[/snapback]

You know as part of your Catholic faith, you are supposed to bring your religion to the people and teach them and make them find Jesus. That is one of our tenets.

Because he suffered and now blames God and his Son.  Yet how can he blame an entity that doesn't exit.  So he does the next best thing on earth and hates Christians.

100739[/snapback]

Well, I do believe that Catholics are Christians..i may be wrong..i was brought up to believe that religion is something you keep to yourself...not scream it the streets "i'm saved, Jesus loves me..you are going to hell". Sorry its a northern Irish Catholic thing you would not have a clue. Take Jesus out of Washington DC!!!!!!!

When does the "jesus saves" conservative right start up with the witchcraft trials???

100732[/snapback]

TOLERANCE Look it up. Learn it. Live it! I thought you lefties were supposed to be compassionate and open minded. I love Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Hindus, Baptists, et all. Why do you hate Christians? WTF? We certainly do not go out of our way to bash atheists

TOLERANCE  Look it up.  Learn it.  Live it!  I thought you lefties were supposed to be compassionate and open minded.  I love Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Hindus, Baptists, et all.  Why do you hate Christians?  WTF?  We certainly do not go out of our way to bash atheists

100745[/snapback]

I have no hate for Christians...their mixing of Jesus and their politics rubs me the wrong way. Hey I live in Pat Robertsonville, USA..I have many close friends that ar born again Christians....but they handle their Christianity differently

You know as part of your Catholic faith, you are supposed to bring your religion to the people and teach them and make them find Jesus.  That is one of our tenets.

100742[/snapback]

No we take our beliefs and apply them to our everyday life...we are not about the fire and brimestone that many saved Christians are about

Sorry Darin..do some research..the Catholic priest got caught...don't think it does not happen in the Evangelical church..."Healed......"

100762[/snapback]

"ONE" Catholic priest? You really want to have this conversation?

I never said it doesn't happen in other churches. That's not the point. Stop being defensive while playing the typical Catholic "Holier than Thou" card.

I was raised hypocrite, I mean Catholic. There are few organized entities more riddled with corruption.

"ONE" Catholic priest?  You really want to have this conversation?

I never said it doesn't happen in other churches.  That's not the point.  Stop being defensive while playing the typical Catholic "Holier than Thou" card.

I was raised hypocrite, I mean Catholic.  There are few organized entities more riddled with corruption.

100767[/snapback]

sorry many mant priests....i was an altar boy..got lucky never touched...went to Catholic schools..never touched