Since when were you crossing the line...

Okay, I'm not quite sure how much this has been discussed on the board, and I first and foremost want to put it out there that I'm not looking for a huge gay marriage debate persay, more so just some insight. I'm sure many of you are aware of what has been going on since Miss California, Carrie Prejean, answered the oh-so-controversial question about whether or not she supports gay marriage in this country during the Miss America show a couple of days back. I would provide a link, but there are so many stories of different nature all over the web, from the reaction during the show, to the aftermath and rash of ridicule against Miss California in the days that have followed that I would have to put forth about 20 links to do the job. My question is: Since when was it so out of line to answer the gay marriage question, which is obviously opinionated-based, in an honest fashion? So what if she is personally opposed to two men or two women marrying one another? Isn't that HER opinion, and isn't she damn well entitled to it? Since she answered that question on national television as being opposed to it due to her strong Christian beliefs and upbringing, she has been absolutely chastised by people of many circles including the show's promoters, judges, celebrities (predictable), and much of the media. Whether you agree with her opinion on the topic or not, I think it's an absolute joke for her to be contiunally publicly ridiculed about answering a question that is based on OPINION, not FACT, honestly. Am I way off base on this?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that clip too, and I have no idea what the hell was going on. The chick was damn hot, though. (I'm not off-base about that whatsoever.)

They are not ridiculing her for having an opinion, they are ridiculing her opinion. There's a difference. Sure she's allowed to have an opinion, no one is saying she's not. But isn't that the point of asking an opinion based question? Isn't it to see how she responds and what her opinion is? If they ask her about the starving children in Africa, and she says, "I don't care about kids in Africa, they are black, and don't deserve food" would you not expect criticism because its "her opinion"? Hell no.

It seems like you are mad that she should have an opinion and not be criticized for it, but then you are mad that other people have other opinions, and you're criticizing theirs. It doesn't go both ways. If she's allowed to express her opinion, then other people should be allowed to express theirs in contrary.

I think your real concern is whether opinions should be judged in this contest.

Not off base at all. I don't think the Miss USA Pageant was the right forum for the question in the 1st place. Or am I way off-base here?

I agree. I have no problem with the lady stating her opinion,since she was asked. But why the hell was she asked THAT question in a beauty pagent? Makes no sense to me. Probably just trying to stir up controversy. Out here in Cali the pro gay rights crowd has gotten real obnoxious. They seem to think nobody is entitled to their opinion if it happens to disagree with theirs. I happen to agree with the ladies opinion. These people need to relax a little,she was asked a question and she answered it honestly. That's her right.

She gave her opinion on a very hot topic and I'll give her credit for standing up for her beliefs. Oh and by the way legalizing gay marriage was also denied in California, the state she was representing. The biggest joke of them all was the extreme differences in the 2 questions. Miss California gets a highly debatable topic. Which she could have lied about, and instead she gets criticized and booed for stating her feelings on the topic. Miss Carolina gets "Do you think the tax payers should pay for the bail out", she says no and gets a standing ovation. Yeah, that's really fair...

They are not ridiculing her for having an opinion, they are ridiculing her opinion. There's a difference. Sure she's allowed to have an opinion, no one is saying she's not. But isn't that the point of asking an opinion based question? Isn't it to see how she responds and what her opinion is? If they ask her about the starving children in Africa, and she says, "I don't care about kids in Africa, they are black, and don't deserve food" would you not expect criticism because its "her opinion"? Hell no.

It seems like you are mad that she should have an opinion and not be criticized for it, but then you are mad that other people have other opinions, and you're criticizing theirs. It doesn't go both ways. If she's allowed to express her opinion, then other people should be allowed to express theirs in contrary.

The straving children in Africa example is a terrible one. Although it is still an opinion to say "I don't care about kids in Africa, they are black, and don't deserve food", it is blatantly wrong to believe so. There aren't two sides to that scenario, or at least there shouldn't be. The gay marriage issue in America, however, clearly has many people across the country on both sides of the fence. Including in her own state, which voted down proposition 9 pretty convincingly just 6 months ago. The thing I have a problem with is that if she would have said given the opposite answer to that question, I'm going to go ahead and say there would have been very little problem publicly displayed from anyone. Hell, she may have even gotten a lot of praise for it. There is such a double standard in this country when it comes down to this issue, and it is really showing in this instance.

I agree. I have no problem with the lady stating her opinion,since she was asked. But why the hell was she asked THAT question in a beauty pagent?

Probably because that particular "judge" was a pole-smoking flamer who enjoys drawing penises on the mouths of celebrity photos that he posts on his website? I have no idea...

The straving children in Africa example is a terrible one. Although it is still an opinion to say "I don't care about kids in Africa, they are black, and don't deserve food", it is blatantly wrong to believe so. There aren't two sides to that scenario, or at least there shouldn't be. The gay marriage issue in America, however, clearly has many people across the country on both sides of the fence. Including in her own state, which voted down proposition 9 pretty convincingly just 6 months ago. The thing I have a problem with is that if she would have said given the opposite answer to that question, I'm going to go ahead and say there would have been very little problem publicly displayed from anyone. Hell, she may have even gotten a lot of praise for it. There is such a double standard in this country when it comes down to this issue, and it is really showing in this instance.

You are agreeing with me, you just don't see it yet. I was building to a point, that point is the last sentence of my post.

Beauty pageants are the stupidest things in the world. Like I really care if the blonde with the nice rack is for/agianst gay marriage or can juggle. Just have them walk by once and pick the winner, its really not that complex.

Even though I am pro gay marriage i would never chastise someone for their opinion even if i disagree with it. We all have a right to our own.

Probably because that particular "judge" was a pole-smoking flamer who enjoys drawing penises on the mouths of celebrity photos that he posts on his website? I have no idea...

On the positive side,the aids infested Queer boys joke may have backfired on him. Half the US recognizes the runner up-who won again?

You are agreeing with me, you just don't see it yet. I was building to a point, that point is the last sentence of my post.

Ah, I see what you are saying with that now, and I agree. I still just don't see why she should have to deal with being chastised, from both people involved in the stupid contest or not at all involved, for honestly giving her opinion about an issue that clearly has millions of others on both sides.

She gave her opinion on a very hot topic and I'll give her credit for standing up for her beliefs. Oh and by the way legalizing gay marriage was also denied in California, the state she was representing. The biggest joke of them all was the extreme differences in the 2 questions. Miss California gets a highly debatable topic. Which she could have lied about, and instead she gets criticized and booed for stating her feelings on the topic. Miss Carolina gets "Do you think the tax payers should pay for the bail out", she says no and gets a standing ovation. Yeah, that's really fair...

That seems like a fair and consistent response from the teabaggers.

This is the best thing to happen to her, now she's going to become the poster child for the anti gay marriage crowd, and get plenty of publicity and speaking engagements from it. She was on FoxNews (of course), and said when she was asked the question, she asked God what she should do, and decided to say she was against it. The religious right will eat that up.

Is not being for gay marriage the same as being against it? If yes, why would anybody oppose gay marriage? What business is it of theirs? She deserved all the bashing she gets for this because a.) in 2009 opposing gay marriage = ignorant b.) she opposed gay marriage PUBLICLY and c.) she was a contestant in a beauty pageant.

Most importantly: does she have ANY idea how much of a gay institution beauty pageants are? That's like Saturday's first round pick publicly decrying beer drinkers.

Is not being for gay marriage the same as being against it? If yes, why would anybody oppose gay marriage? What business is it of theirs? She deserved all the bashing she gets for this because a.) in 2009 opposing gay marriage = ignorant b.) she opposed gay marriage PUBLICLY and c.) she was a contestant in a beauty pageant.

Most importantly: does she have ANY idea how much of a gay institution beauty pageants are? That's like Saturday's first round pick publicly decrying beer drinkers.

Explain why exactly it is so ignorant to be opposed to gay marriage?