Since when were you crossing the line...

My question is: Since when was it so out of line to answer the gay marriage question, which is obviously opinionated-based, in an honest fashion?

Taking this to a higher level ... the thing about liberals and the whole PC (political correctness) movement. They talk all the time about diversity and respecting everyone's viewpoint, as long as it agrees with their own views. As soon as you say anything contrary, you get attacked.

Nothing pisses liberals off more about free speech than someone exercising their right to use it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with being personally opposed to same-sex marriage.

On the other hand, opposing the right for a same-sex couple to marry, based on your personal feelings, makes you a bigot...plain and simple.

Of course, you have a right to be a bigot. Acting on that bigotry is a different matter.

The straving children in Africa example is a terrible one. Although it is still an opinion to say "I don't care about kids in Africa, they are black, and don't deserve food", it is blatantly wrong to believe so. There aren't two sides to that scenario, or at least there shouldn't be. The gay marriage issue in America, however, clearly has many people across the country on both sides of the fence. Including in her own state, which voted down proposition 9 pretty convincingly just 6 months ago. The thing I have a problem with is that if she would have said given the opposite answer to that question, I'm going to go ahead and say there would have been very little problem publicly displayed from anyone. Hell, she may have even gotten a lot of praise for it. There is such a double standard in this country when it comes down to this issue, and it is really showing in this instance.

I bet 40+ years ago the Africa example wasn't as cut and dry as it is today...

40+ years ago there were laws on the books outlawing interracial marriages - the laws were't overturned until the late 1960s. Looking back on that today most of us probably view such laws as rediculous and anyone who stepped forward to defend such laws is now seen as a racist kook. I wonder what this country will look like in another 50 years and what we'll think of people who step forward to oppose someone else's marriage because it offends their morals...

Taking this to a higher level ... the thing about liberals and the whole PC (political correctness) movement. They talk all the time about diversity and respecting everyone's viewpoint, as long as it agrees with their own views. As soon as you say anything contrary, you get attacked.

Nothing pisses liberals off more about free speech than someone exercising their right to use it.

To be honest the same thing can be said about the Limbaugh/Hannity crowd. The extremists on both sides are intolerant jackasses,imo.

To be honest the same thing can be said about the Limbaugh/Hannity crowd. The extremists on both sides are intolerant jackasses.

You're definetely right about that, and personally I cannot stand either of those guys. However, from my experience, what damj said is true much more often in the case of non-extremist liberals than conservatives.

That's why I respect and admire someone like James Carville but get nauseous when I see a guy like Bill Maher.

Not so. The following clip states very clearly the sound, irrefutable case against same-sex marriage.

(NSFW)

:lol:

That's why I respect and admire someone like James Carville but get nauseous when I see a guy like Bill Maher.

I think Maher is more hit than miss, but hit or miss nonetheless. It's his crowd that pisses me off, and undoubtedly renders his show unwatchable to those who don't sympathize with his beliefs.

What I am asking is why is it ignorant for people to have a certain opinion on gay marriage based largely upon their religious beliefs if that's what they believe in and have been brought up on since they were children?

I'm religion and you're a kid and here's your opinion, take it, I want you to have it. Now go and live your life and don't question what I told you when you were too young to understand otherwise.

-----------

So, if you're actively dispelling another perspective because it clashes with what an institution told you as a kid, I call that ignorant. If you're not actively dispelling another perspective because you've just simply never been exposed to something somebody other than religion had to say, then that's equally ignorant.

Right?

What I am asking is why is it ignorant for people to have a certain opinion on gay marriage based largely upon their religious beliefs if that's what they believe in and have been brought up on since they were children?

Just because a belief is popularly held for a long time and passed down through generations does not make it true. This is one of the most common fallacies*. That is the reason so many people are critical of beliefs that are backed up with religion. If you believe something strongly, you really need to be able to back it up with reasons. Tell us why you say it's wrong--not just that your parents believed it, so you believe it too.

*EDIT: Actually, it's a combination of three informal fallacies: 1. Appeal to Tradition, 2. Appeal to the Masses, 3. Appeal to Authority

So it is ignorant for one to form a belief on a subject such as this due to religious values that have been instilled in them for years? Classic.

Exactly. What's wrong with having personal beliefs that help guide your own behavior? Some people believe that homosexuality is wrong, because the Bible refers to it as "an abomination".

Many Jews don't eat pork, because of their religious beliefs. The Bible also calls eating pork "an abomination". But, I know few Jews who oppose my right to eat pork...and there's the real rub, in this situation.

Against same-sex marriage? Fine, don't marry a person the same sex as yourself. But, that gives you no right to interfere in the practices of those with different beliefs, as the practice of gay marriage among those who desire it, has zero negative impact on the rights of those who don't believe in it.

To be honest the same thing can be said about the Limbaugh/Hannity crowd. The extremists on both sides are intolerant jackasses,imo.

Agree ... I think James Carville is as much of an ass as Rush Limbaugh. I hate all extremes ... governing is ... errrr ... SHOULD BE representing everyone's interests ... unfortunately you don't get elected by being a centrist anymore ... we're lucky when a president gets elected and moves to the center.