NYS close to legalizing medical marijuana

Wooderson

Linkski

"Long-stalled efforts to permit the medicinal use of marijuana in this state appear to have a good chance of passage before lawmakers end their session in June. It would make New York the 15th state to legalize the drug for medical reasons.

Advocates say they believe the Democratic- controlled Senate and Assembly have the votes to pass legislation permitting qualified patients to grow their own marijuana plants, or obtain the drug on the streets or through a state-sanctioned dispensary.Gov. David A. Paterson also is said to be supportive of the legalization.

“It’s looking pretty darn good,” Assemblyman Richard N. Gottfried, a Manhattan Democrat and Health Committee chairman, said of the bill’s chance to become law this session."

It's about time, but it still doesn't affect the federal law that would supersede the state law. If the DEA decided to start raiding those places they could just like in Cali.

Correct, but this has to start somewhere and gain momentum. It really should be a federal initiative, but that probably won't happen until states start acting on their own.

Good for NYS...if and when it happens.

EDIT: BTW, I don't see this administration using the DEA to bust legit Medical Marijuana clinics.

Medicaid is already broke, are they using IOU's?

My brother gets dialysis three-days-a-week, all his meds, all of his other medical appointments and tests...all paid for by Medicaid. He has the typical issues of medical insurance, such as occasionally having to fight to get a particular med covered...but, I had those same issues with Blue Cross HMO.

So, define "broken".

Marijuana should be legalized and regulated. Period. Legalizing it for medical use is at least a start.

The problem is with the "regulated". Alcohol is regulated, but we know what can happen. Surely, without fear of prosecution, there would be many more folks driving the roadways sans full use of their facilities...and folks going to a job puffed up, or after a lunch break. Perhaps a co-worker. With a welding torch.

I'm not at all insensitive to the medical usage of pot, btw.

Have someone take a video of yourself before and after ingestion. You aren't the same person. You think you are on top of the world, the repository of all knowledge, and in full control of all things. The video proves different.

My brother gets dialysis three-days-a-week, all his meds, all of his other medical appointments and tests...all paid for by Medicaid. He has the typical issues of medical insurance, such as occasionally having to fight to get a particular med covered...but, I had those same issues with Blue Cross HMO.

So, define "broken".

Medicade consumes 40% of the entire OH State budget.

If/when it happens, I wonder if it will be as easy to obtain the necessary credentials to gain access to the medical marijuana as it is in California....Anyone have any inclination?

It's hard to determine, I would imagine it would depend on the doctor or caregiver that would prescribe it to you. But, I'm guessing, it would become easier to obtain as time went on.

The problem is with the "regulated". Alcohol is regulated, but we know what can happen. Surely, without fear of prosecution, there would be many more folks driving the roadways sans full use of their facilities...and folks going to a job puffed up, or after a lunch break. Perhaps a co-worker. With a welding torch.

Any evidence/support for that? You understand it is currently illegal to drive under the influence (alcohol or drugs), so the fear of prosecution doesn't change for driving high.

Or, are you suggesting is that many more folks would use marijuana than before because it is no longer illegal? If that's what you are suggesting, then people who were law abiding, and didn't smoke pot because it was illegal, will all of a sudden stop abiding the law prohibiting driving while under the influence.

Or, am I missing something here?

Any evidence/support for that? You understand it is currently illegal to drive under the influence (alcohol or drugs), so the fear of prosecution doesn't change for driving high.

Or, are you suggesting is that many more folks would use marijuana than before because it is no longer illegal? If that's what you are suggesting, then people who were law abiding, and didn't smoke pot because it was illegal, will all of a sudden stop abiding the law prohibiting driving while under the influence.

Or, am I missing something here?

You are missing nothing. That's exactly what I'm saying - no suggestion about it.

You are missing nothing. That's exactly what I'm saying - no suggestion about it.

OK then.

While I don't necessarily buy that, for the sake of discussion let's say that your scenario is true. I'd expect an increase in minor fender benders and tickets for driving way too slowly.

OK then.

While I don't necessarily buy that, for the sake of discussion let's say that your scenario is true. I'd expect an increase in minor fender benders and tickets for driving way too slowly.

Expect an increase in folks wasting their lives away. Drugs are pleasurable, including alcohol. Tokers always assure themselves that they can't be noticed, because the body doesn't give off a reek like alcohol does. Can you smell cocaine on someone? The "slow-but-safe" driving thing is as as old as the hills, put out as a common argument - judgment is impaired, plain and simple. Tokers have no problem aiming for the interstates. It's all giggles by then, after all. Escapes from reality - pleasurable.

You'll dig hard to find information, but during prohibition, the day-to-day crimes - the domestic beatings, people losing jobs because of being unable to show up, petty thefts etc. went down.

There is a qualitative difference between downing enough alcohol, and puffing to change the mind. Puffing is far more convenient, for one. Same as snorting a line.

A reading about the effects of opium on 19th century China can be instructive.

I'm well aware of the crime happening because of drug laws. It rips cities apart. Murder, mayhem, etc. But as long as they are illegal, it's important to understand that each puff, each line snorted, has a trail of murder, beatings, rape, extortion, whole nations terrorized behind it. There is nothing about it that is "victimless".

As one imbibes, the pleasure one gets from drug use comes to you through the horror of millions as it stands today. Make no mistake about that. "Blood" diamonds that are talked about don't come close by a long shot.

Expect an increase in folks wasting their lives away. Drugs are pleasurable, including alcohol. Tokers always assure themselves that they can't be noticed, because the body doesn't give off a reek like alcohol does. Can you smell cocaine on someone? The "slow-but-safe" driving thing is as as old as the hills, put out as a common argument - judgment is impaired, plain and simple. Tokers have no problem aiming for the interstates. It's all giggles by then, after all. Escapes from reality - pleasurable.

You'll dig hard to find information, but during prohibition, the day-to-day crimes - the domestic beatings, people losing jobs because of being unable to show up, petty thefts etc. went down.

There is a qualitative difference between downing enough alcohol, and puffing to change the mind. Puffing is far more convenient, for one. Same as snorting a line.

A reading about the effects of opium on 19th century China can be instructive.

I'm well aware of the crime happening because of drug laws. It rips cities apart. Murder, mayhem, etc. But as long as they are illegal, it's important to understand that each puff, each line snorted, has a trail of murder, beatings, rape, extortion, whole nations terrorized behind it. There is nothing about it that is "victimless".

As one imbibes, the pleasure one gets from drug use comes to you through the horror of millions as it stands today. Make no mistake about that. "Blood" diamonds that are talked about don't come close by a long shot.

I think you soaked up a little too much of the anti-marijuana propaganda (so widely available when you were growing up).