State of Buffalo Sports Fans - Bucky Gleason Article

MURTR

An emotional yet totally untrue piece of dreck. There is a real threat of losing both franchises these days, the Sabres much less than the Bills. Not signing Peters had nothing to do with not wanting to spend money. I also believe Ralph Wilson does want to win. He just doesn't know how. (Dan Snyder has proven it's more than just writing fat checks.) Tom Golisano does not care about winning or the fans one bit, but selling the franchise to a Jim Basille risks losing the Sabres.

PTR

An emotional yet totally untrue piece of dreck. There is a real threat of losing both franchises these days, the Sabres much less than the Bills. Not signing Peters had nothing to do with not wanting to spend money. I also believe Ralph Wilson does want to win. He just doesn't know how. (Dan Snyder has proven it's more than just writing fat checks.) Tom Golisano does not care about winning or the fans one bit, but selling the franchise to a Jim Basille risks losing the Sabres.

PTR

I think that's his point. Because the owners have the implied threat of moving, they cajole people to pay for the product, even though that product is consistent mediocrity.

I think that's his point. Because the owners have the implied threat of moving, they cajole people to pay for the product, even though that product is consistent mediocrity.

I'm just saying the Ralph isn't trying to suck, like TG is.

PTR

sorry, didnt realize they put it up on the TBD already.

Thanks for the good read Murt. I think Gleason's right. I never understood how people keep shuffling thru the turnstiles with the products on the field (and ice). Brandon sure is a master marketer.

I think he's pretty dead on as far as the Sabres and not wanting to win, but I'm pretty sure that Ralph wants to win real bad before he passes on.

I thought what the article missed was that back 20 years ago in the Sabres hey-day, there were never that good. Before Lindy and after the early 80s they were pretty mediocre. Everyone said they couldn't win because they couldn't afford the high priced players. They did have a few marquee guys, but not what other teams had. He makes it sound like those Sabres teams were competing for the Cup every year, when they were lucky to get in the payoffs in the top 6. The Bills were actually good at this time or becoming good and at first I think people were pretty excited to not watch terrible teams when the late 80s early 90s hit. For some reason the Bills were able to pull off losing four straight Super Bowls, which I think disenchanted the fan base to a certain extent. That's why the Houston playoff game wasn't sold out - people were tired of being part of a seeming national joke.

Bucky's got a hell of an ax to grind with these owners.

Bucky's got a hell of an ax to grind with these owners.

He sure does...especially with Golisano and Quinn....

Why is everyone saying the Sabres don't want to win yet defend the Bills decision's (or lack thereof) and their 10 year playoff drought? I'm assuming it's because this is a Bills board first.

Why is everyone saying the Sabres don't want to win yet defend the Bills decision's (or lack thereof) and their 10 year playoff drought? I'm assuming it's because this is a Bills board first.

I'm personally boased because I have more of an insider perspective on the Bills, as I don't have any regular interactions with anyone in the Sabres. Also, for the Sabres, I look at it the way I looked at the mis-steps made by former President Bush. It was so bad that there were only two equally unacceptable possible reasons for them: 1. He was a liar and blatantly mis-represented the truth, or 2. He was so out of touch with reality and basically wrong that he didn't know what he was doing. I don't know which is worse.

He's been a miserable SOB lately, he must sit next Sully or something.

That would be the minority opinion on this particular Bills board....

Yet, his team had more success over the same time frame. Amazing isn't it?

Were the Bills the best team in the NFL and then missed the playoffs? Not exactly an acheivement to crow about. You also forget that TG bought a good Sabres team and nickel-n-dimed 'em to death.

PTR

The Bills inemptitude is a misguided yet sincere attempt at being good. The Sabres are a cold-blooded, premeditated murder of a cup-contending team.

PTR

Were the Bills the best team in the NFL and then missed the playoffs? Not exactly an acheivement to crow about. You also forget that TG bought a good Sabres team and nickel-n-dimed in to death.

PTR

IMO:

The NFL isn't the NHL... Hockey is a fringe "game"... As much as I love the game, hockey is one deeply flawed game (the way it is played at the NHL level so to speak even worse).

Case in point... Over the last 14 seasons, 7 times the number 8 seed beat the number 1 seed... And unfortunately, the Sharks might be the 8th team in 15 years for all their hard work in this regular season/Prez Trophy winner... Why even have playoffs and a regular season? My point is that hockey should be played like it was at the turn of the 20th century... Tournament style... OR, it should be handled like baseball (baseball would have the same blight as hockey if it let 16 teams into a playoff) does and only allow a few of the best regular season teams into the playoffs. You put any of the 30 hockey teams into a tournament and I bet even the dregs of the regular season would kick ass rountinely. Hockey is all about how you alter your game (soccer too)... Even sucky teams can alter their game to hang with the big dogs and fluke by.