For those calling Hardy a bust/ writing him off...

How can you already write off a WR coming off a rookie season? Its one of the hardest positions to make the transition to the NFL. Read the following players' stats from their rookie years and tell me if you would have written them off:

a. Games - 12 | Catches - 22 | Yards - 273 | TDs - 0

b. Games - 16 | Catches - 35 | Yards - 520 | TDs - 4

c. Games - 15 | Catches - 20 | Yards - 309 | TDs - 2

d. Games - 13 | Catches - 16 | Yards - 269 | TDs - 1

e. Games - 13 | Catches - 27 | Yards - 345 | TDs - 0

Scroll down to see who these players are and you will see my point...

a. Plaxico Burress - off field problems but similar playing style to what Hardy can one day hopefully become.

b. Terrell Owens - no comment

c. Brandon Marshall - no comment

d. John Stallworth - different era, but still proves my point

e. Reggie Wayne - no comment

I know Hardy only had 9 catches or something like that but I think the Bills' coaching staff understands that it takes time for a WR to develop so they are limiting his gametime in favor of learning. This year may not be a breakout year because of TO, but next year will be the year everyone can pass their judgement on him.

How can you already write off a WR coming off a rookie season? Its one of the hardest positions to make the transition to the NFL. Read the following players' stats from their rookie years and tell me if you would have written them off:

a. Plaxico Burress - off field problems but similar playing style to what Hardy can one day hopefully become.

I know Hardy only had 9 catches or something like that but I think the Bills' coaching staff understands that it takes time for a WR to develop so they are limiting his gametime in favor of learning. This year may not be a breakout year because of TO, but next year will be the year everyone can pass their judgement on him.

You know if you start threads you can't delete them once they have been replied on and it's harder to look like a lurker?

You know if you start threads you can't delete them once they have been replied on and it's harder to look like a lurker?

Why did you say that? This is a good thread. :devil:

Great post jrzbuffalo. <_<

People also need to take into account that Hardy was injured last year. A player can come back from an ACL injury after a year but, IIRC, they really aren't back to full strength until a couple years after the injury. Signing TO was a great thing for Hardy. It gives him a year without any pressure and a chance to heal and learn again. In 2010 I think he'll show the promise he had when he was drafted.

You keep posting guy!

1) Actually you can delete threads once they have been responded to. I did it last week.

2) I think it's a pretty valid point. I think we've got a great WR corps - one of the best in the NFL, perhaps - with legit current threats (Evans, Owens), future talent (Johnson, Hardy), solid blockers and guys who can move the chains (Reed), and even a gimmicky threat (Parrish). I find it funny that everyone is so high on Johnson but so down on Hardy even though they had almost the exact same production last season. I know Hardy had higher expectations as a second round pick but give the man a chance. I hope he and Stevie can learn a lot this year, make plays when given the opportunity, and make their mark in 2010.

I'm considering getting a Hardy jersey, as I think he'll be great one day. Lets hope he learns the playbook this year, as i guess he wasn't the sharpest knife at Indiana

You can probably get a #81 Hardy jersey pretty cheap with Owens grabbing the number. Maybe Hitler will sell you his. <_<

I'm still very high on Hardy and I fully believe he will become a very good WR. He is very big and athletic. He just needs to polish his route running and learn to use his body to his advantage. He definately looks like a solid number two WR going forward, but then again so does Steve Johnson. And I think Johnson will actually wind up the better of the two.

Completely agree with the original post. I responded to a know-nothing post earlier that said Hardy was so obviously a bust that the Bills ought to trade him for a fourth rounder and write it off as an even deal. The guy actually looked pretty good in the limited time he was out there, and did cause serious match-up issues in the endzone. The TD catch he made early in the season was pretty spectacular. He's got a lot of potential. Plus, did any of the rookie WRs really have sensational first seasons last year? None that I recall. Another year or two and I think his potential will really have come to fruition and he will be one of the better receivers in the NFL.

I'm considering getting a Hardy jersey, as I think he'll be great one day. Lets hope he learns the playbook this year, as i guess he wasn't the sharpest knife at Indiana

Be very careful buying jerseys. I only buy ones of longtime Bills. I learned the hard way. I have an $80 dust rag named Losman. <_<

Let me start off by saying that I'm a Hardy supporter. But with how little he showed (although I loved the Jags game-winning TD!) and the ACL, Hardy's "bust" factor at the present seems greater than his "boom" factor. It will be up to him to show us what he's got. I feel the same way about Ellis, who could be a player, but hasn't shown anything yet (and anything they get out of him will be gravy IMHO).

Completely agree with the original post. I responded to a know-nothing post earlier that said Hardy was so obviously a bust that the Bills ought to trade him for a fourth rounder and write it off as an even deal. The guy actually looked pretty good in the limited time he was out there, and did cause serious match-up issues in the endzone. The TD catch he made early in the season was pretty spectacular. He's got a lot of potential. Plus, did any of the rookie WRs really have sensational first seasons last year? None that I recall. Another year or two and I think his potential will really have come to fruition and he will be one of the better receivers in the NFL.

They very rarely do. Ignore the moron, you'll save yourself some grief.

I have been a member here for a long time and i read the site daily, i just dont post much. The last couple of weeks I have notices a lot of people calling the guy a bust. So i just thought I'd prove how ridiculous that sounds. Its like grading a draft the day after. And thanks for the compliments on the post, there are still a few somewhat rational, intelligent people on here <_< ...

The jury is still out on Hardy, but these stats don't prove much. For every guy who makes it after a poor rookie outing, there are 10 that bust.

Rookie Stats

a) 26 catches....300 yards....3 TDs

b) 13 catches....242 yards....0 TDs

c) 12 catches.....203 yards...0 TDs

d) 15 catches.....148 yards...1 TDs

scroll down to see who they are!!!!

a) Justin Armour

b) Russell Copeland

c) Reggie Germany

d) Roscoe Parrish

Fellow Bills drafted in rounds 4,4,7,2

Why did you say that? This is a good thread. :devil:

Great post jrzbuffalo. <_<

People also need to take into account that Hardy was injured last year. A player can come back from an ACL injury after a year but, IIRC, they really aren't back to full strength until a couple years after the injury. Signing TO was a great thing for Hardy. It gives him a year without any pressure and a chance to heal and learn again. In 2010 I think he'll show the promise he had when he was drafted.

You keep posting guy!

i agree.. as much of an ego-maniac as TO is, he would be a good role model for young Hardy as he prepares himself well for each game and has a great work out routine. maybe TO and hardy can develop some kind of mentor relationship