Best NFL draft investment is a 2nd-round pick

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30228218/

Fans get excited about first-round picks. General managers get excited about second-round picks.

The teams sitting in the catbird seat are the teams with multiple second rounders — the Patriots, who have three, and the Browns, Dolphins and Giants, who have two apiece.

Great article by Pompei but not so great that we do not have extra 2nd round picks. Maybe that '28th is really a 2nd round pick' (sounds like someone with fact issues) is a good thing.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30228218/

Fans get excited about first-round picks. General managers get excited about second-round picks.

The teams sitting in the catbird seat are the teams with multiple second rounders — the Patriots, who have three, and the Browns, Dolphins and Giants, who have two apiece.

Great article by Pompei but not so great that we do not have extra 2nd round picks. Maybe that '28th is really a 2nd round pick' (sounds like someone with fact issues) is a good thing.

Absolutely true. Why do you think the Pats traded Cassel for a second instead od holding out for a first, which they certainly could have done? The draft is a crapshoot and the ante for a second round pick is pretty low. That's one more reason that trading up in the draft should be a firing offense for any GM (see Losman, JP, and McCargo, J).

Absolutely true. Why do you think the Pats traded Cassel for a second instead od holding out for a first, which they certainly could have done? The draft is a crapshoot and the ante for a second round pick is pretty low. That's one more reason that trading up in the draft should be a firing offense for any GM (see Losman, JP, and McCargo, J).

They were saying something similar on Sirius NFL channel. talking on Sirrius nfl channel about it - get as many picks from 20 to 50 as you can.

Going back to 1996 the Bills have had 15 picks in the second round (or traded) to move into the first found. The jury is still out on last year's #2 James Hardy, but in my opinion the last 14 picks have been hit and miss!!

James Hardy Indiana (too early to judge)

Paul Posluszny Penn State HIT!

No Second Round Pick/Moved up to draft John McCargo MISS

Roscoe Parrish Miami (FL) HIT!

No Second Round Pick/Moved up to draft J.P. Losman MISS

Chris Kelsay Nebraska HIT!

Josh Reed Louisiana State HIT!

Ryan Denney Brigham Young MISS

Aaron Schobel, TCU HIT!

Travis Henry, Tennesesse MISS

Travares Tillman Georgia Tech MISS

Peerless Price Tennessee HIT!

Sam Cowart Florida State HIT!

Marcellus Wiley Columbia HIT!

Gabe Northern Louisiana State MISS

8 Hits

6 Misses

Travis Henry was a good RB for Bills on the field until front office "got smart" and drafted Willis rather than spending money and pick elsewhere.

I agree Travis Henry was a good football player and had a couple of good years of carrying the rock....but his life is a complete mess.

Teams drafting in the top 1/3rd of the first round - (picks 1-12) are typically there because they earned the choice because of their poor record. Yes, a team can get there through trades, but usually these are bottom tier teams in terms of power rankings.

The cost of a top 10 (or top 12) pick in The Draft is enormous. What it boils down to is these teams are rolling the dice on unproven players. The consequences of missing on a modern day top 10 pick is huge because it involves a high percentage of their cap space. A team's ability to sign Free Agents and their own players who've proven themselves becomes compromised for teams that continually draft in those early spots. There are probably 100 rookies in any given year that will become starters by the end of their first season. About half of them are taken in the bottom of the first round through the end of the second.

There are many top 10 Draft Day picks that have been complete flops. Mel Kyper made himself a career by creating the Draft Day hysteria that fuels fan expectancy. It's all built around film clips, workout warrior stats and most of all - his own OPINIONS and HYPE. It's obviously paid him well, as it must cost a fortune to keep that Trump-like hair going for so long.

The notion that the Pats settled for a 2nd rounder instead of waiting it out for a 1st rounder is the silliest thing I've ever heard. The Pats covet their 1st round picks. And Cassel needed to be paired with Vrabel for him to be even be traded, for a 2nd rounder.

I agree that a 2nd round pick is probably the best investment. Really, the success of a football team is how you do in rounds 2-4.

The only thing I didn't like about the post....Chris Kelsay was listed as a HIT!

Sure, he is a starter, but he's not a top 50 DE in the league. I can't call a guy picked on day one a HIT if he isn't top 50 at his position in the league.

I agree that a 2nd round pick is probably the best investment. Really, the success of a football team is how you do in rounds 2-4.

The only thing I didn't like about the post....Chris Kelsay was listed as a HIT!

Sure, he is a starter, but he's not a top 50 DE in the league. I can't call a guy picked on day one a HIT if he isn't top 50 at his position in the league.

I can't argue that.......7 hits and 7 misses