Draft Ace Mock Draft

Hyphe23

They have us taking:

1) Michael Oher - OT - Ole Miss

1B) Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma St.

2) Michael Johnson - DE - Georgia Tech

3) Kevin Barnes - CB - Maryland

I dont know enough about Barnes but I think we would be better off going interior line or linebacker in the third if this is the scenario. What do you all think of this draft though?

Oher seems to be the consensus pick at #11 at this point. Pettigrew won't fall to #28, no chance he gets by Atlanta at #24 (unless they can pull off a trade for Gonzo - even then he won't fall). Michael Johnson screams huge bust (have you seen the film on this guy?). And we won't be taking a CB in the first three rounds, despite claims to the contrary.

They have us taking:

I dont know enough about Barnes but I think we would be better off going interior line or linebacker in the third if this is the scenario. What do you all think of this draft though?

I don't like it at all. I'd much rather they wait until at least pick 28 to address the offensive line. The 3rd or 4th best LT probably isn't going to be an immediate starter at that position, anyway, and given that, they're better off drafting a guy like Britton at 28 to play LG for at least this year and perhaps be a prospect at one of the tackle positions down the road.

Pettigrew? I can't make up my mind about him at 11, but he'd be good value at 28.

Based on the times I've seen him play, I'm not sure I'd draft Michael Johnson in R3. As for the CB, I don't know, maybe he's good, but do we need another?

I don't like it at all. I'd much rather they wait until at least pick 28 to address the offensive line. The 3rd or 4th best LT probably isn't going to be an immediate starter at that position, anyway, and given that, they're better off drafting a guy like Britton at 28 to play LG for at least this year and perhaps be a prospect at one of the tackle positions down the road.

Pettigrew? I can't make up my mind about him at 11, but he'd be good value at 28.

Based on the times I've seen him play, I'm not sure I'd draft Michael Johnson in R3. As for the CB, I don't know, maybe he's good, but do we need another?

i like this better

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aolj...o&type=lgns

After reading this article, http://blackandgold.com/blogs/hagan714/89-...arm-length.html, the measureables suggest Beatty might be one of the better OT's to come out of this draft. Now, my question is (for those of you that have watched them), who will be better: Beatty, Oher, or Britton? Personally, I think Andre Smith is going to be a huge bust, and Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe won't be there, so I left them all out of the question.

They have us taking:

That would be a sick draft, but I think someone will take on Johnson before he falls to us in the 2nd round. Its more likely that Pettigrew gets drafted before the 28th pick and Johnson falls to that spot.

That would be nice but IMHO no way will Curry be available at our pick. I still think that an OLB is in the mix with our first 4 picks in the draft. While it would be nice if Clay Mathews was still available at 28, I think he will off the board by then. I think a realistic pick at #28 is Connor Barwiin out of Cincinnati. Solid player who is going to be a good pro IMO. Has speed which can't be taught.

After reading this article, http://blackandgold.com/blogs/hagan714/89-...arm-length.html, the measureables suggest Beatty might be one of the better OT's to come out of this draft. Now, my question is (for those of you that have watched them), who will be better: Beatty, Oher, or Britton? Personally, I think Andre Smith is going to be a huge bust, and Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe won't be there, so I left them all out of the question.

I actually like Oher a lot, I think heis the third best OT prospect in this draft. If we do take a OT in the first round though I wouldnt assume that they are going to be our LT. I am willing to bet that no matter what Langston Walker slides to LT next year and we insert someone else at RT, at least for next year. You dont want any rookie protecting your QB's blind side.

They have us taking:

The first three picks I like and they also seem realistic and probable. As for our 3rd rounder, we should use it to grab the top LG, which very well be Duke Robinson or Levitre.

The first three picks I like and they also seem realistic and probable. As for our 3rd rounder, we should use it to grab the top LG, which very well be Duke Robinson or Levitre.

I agree with you completely. Just as a question to everyone who has been saying they think Michael Johnson will be a bust, why do you all think that? I honestly dont know a whole lot about him but I thought he was supposed to be a pretty quick edge rusher.

They have us taking:

This will never happen. We might take Oher, yes. But we will not have the opportunity to get Pettigrew at #28. He'll be long gone. If we don't take him at #11 the Eagles are going to take him at #21. And if the Eagles don't take him at #21 you can bet that Atlanta will be running to the poteum to announce their selection at #24. They'd be better off in the long run with him instead of Gozales anyway. I could see us taking Johnson if he fell to us in the 2nd and we hadn't already addressed the DE position. I think that he could be the best DE in this class if he puts in the work. Barnes in the 3rd with the holes we have on the OL and the fact that we won't get Pettigrew at #28? Can't see that one either.

I agree with you completely. Just as a question to everyone who has been saying they think Michael Johnson will be a bust, why do you all think that? I honestly dont know a whole lot about him but I thought he was supposed to be a pretty quick edge rusher.

I think he's likely to bust, but worth a 2nd rounder.

The knock on him is he didn't put up the numbers despite his incredible talent and athletic ability. Teams question his work ethic, motivation, dedication to/love of football, and motor.

It almost doesn't even make sense that a guy could have his blend of size and speed and not put up better numbers.

Two reasons. One, as has already been stated, any time a guy has that much ability but doesn't start until his senior year, it definitely makes you wonder why. Second, and more importantly, watching him play, he appears to give inconsistent effort, needs major technique work, and plays like he weighs about 200lbs. On the latter point, in particular, he is going to get buried in the NFL unless he gets significantly stronger, and with his height, he's already at a major disadvantage with regards to leverage in the running game.

Is he a great athlete? Definitely. Can he become a good NFL DE? Possibly. Do I expect him to? Not really.