What Changes Will GWB make to his Cabinet?

What do you think will happen?

What will supreme court look like in 4 years? Who will be nominated?

99260[/snapback]

Would be nice if Ashcroft were gone and Powell stuck around. Sadly, the reverse is probably true. Rumsfeld will probably stick around, I think...I'm not a big fan of the guy, but even I have to admit he's done more good than harm to DoD.

Condi Rice is gone, too, I believe. Mixed feelings on that: she's a hellaciously smart lady who I respect highly, but she's also a Cold Warrior in a post-Cold War world, and never someone I thought was ideal for the position in this day and age.

What do you think will happen?

What will supreme court look like in 4 years? Who will be nominated?

99260[/snapback]

Before the election, I would have said that Rumsfeld, Ashcroft and Rice would be gone, as well as Powell and Wolfowitz. Now, I do not see Bush thinking that he needs to change anything. I can not find one reason for Bush to care one bit about political moderation. People say he has no mandate, I say he was given all the mandate he needs last night.

Before the election, I would have said that Rumsfeld, Ashcroft and Rice would be gone, as well as Powell and Wolfowitz.  Now, I do not see Bush thinking that he needs to change anything.  I can not find one reason for Bush to care one bit about political moderation. People say he has no mandate, I say he was given all the mandate he needs last night.

99288[/snapback]

It may not be his choice as some may decide on their own that they need to leave the cabinet....

unfortunately i think powell is gone

99350[/snapback]

Powell's been saying for a long time that he'd serve one term only, no matter what. Condi's been talking about retiring/resigning for a while, as well. It's not a matter of Bush making the changes, as much as they leaving on their own terms.

Powell's been saying for a long time that he'd serve one term only, no matter what.  Condi's been talking about retiring/resigning for a while, as well.  It's not a matter of Bush making the changes, as much as they leaving on their own terms.

99365[/snapback]

I like Condi. Why not shift her to State, so she has more of a balance and keeps the name recognition in case hillary decides to make a run in '08? What a counter punch.

I like Condi. Why not shift her to State, so she has more of a balance and keeps the name recognition in case hillary decides to make a run in '08? What a counter punch.

99373[/snapback]

I have a hard time seeing Condi at state, with her strongly academic background. Powell came up through the Army all the way to JCS, and thus had the diplomatic experience applicable to the job (i.e. joint warfare experience and political horse-trading) and international experience and knowledge.

Condi might have the knowledge...but as far as I know, her diplomatic experience is limited to being Stanford provost (which probably isn't inconsiderable, I know). I also wince at the thought of a female Secretary of State in a time when relations with the Islam world are important...yes, it's sexist. It's also reality. I just can't see Condi being very effective in State...just doesn't seem to me to suit her skills as I understand them.

But then...one could do far, far worse.

I'm wondering what Tom Ridge is going to do. These last few years have probably taken a pretty good toll on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he took the next four years off before he runs for the Presidency.

I think Mineta will take off, I have no idea as to who his replacement might be.

Rumsfeld will take off and Wolfie will succeed him.

Powell will take off with John Bolton as successor.

Bold prediction of the day - Condi Rice takes off with Bill Kristol replacing her.

This article from the Washington Post suggests the possibility of Rice shifting to Defense, and potential for Powell staying on, among other things.  Speculation of course, but we'll see...

99402[/snapback]

Mmmm. If we can't keep Colin, I like the idea of Danforth at State. He'd certainly be more useful there than dealing with the rabble at UN Plaza.

Ridge? Dunno - if Bush asks him to stay, I think he will. Loyalty's big with Tom. (But if he does decide to run in '08, I know what I'll be doing for most of that year.....)

Guiliani... Homeland Security?

99801[/snapback]

Guiliani = Attorney General

It wouldn't surprise me to see Cheney step aside for health reasons (or croak), paving the way for either a Guiliani or Ridge Vice Presidency. Without having to worry about securing his base for re-election, bush could risk naming a pro-choicer

99373[/snapback]

Condelezza Rice is like Hillary Clinton with 1000x more brains and none of the undeserved hype. She'd wipe the floor with Clinton or, as she ran in 2000, "Hillary!"

More power to Condi.