Why can't we draft like it was 1985 anymore?

seq004

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PSAC is a pretty darn good Division II conference.

Yeah, they're alright. One guy from my time in the PSAC actually was on the Bills but was cut during training camp (Greg Paterra, a RB from Slippery Rock). Another guy was a long snapper for the Redskins (Ralph Tamm), and another was a former teammate and long snapper for the Green Bay Packers for years 'til he retired recently (Rob Davis, from my alma mater Shippensburg University).

They also had a few guys come along after me that were pretty good, like Pro Bowl LB Lee Woodall (West Chester University) and 2 time Super Bowl winning LB John Mobley (from Andre Reed's alma mater Kutztown). There was also Millersivlle's Robb Riddick, a RB who played for the Bills in the 1980s.

Just to be clear, I agree Polian was, and is, a terrific GM. But there are somethings here that need to be addressed. Even Polian admits he worked "hand in glove" with HC Kay Stephenson, and Bill is referred to as one of a triumvirate (which also included Norm Pollom) who orchestrated that draft.

I think it is obvious, considering he was young and new to the job, Polian did not have the power in the organization he did later on (or does now in Indy). I have to believe Ralph was breathing down the back of his neck, as much as he ever has to any GM (Polian was not the GM for this draft). For what might have been one of the best drafts of his career, Polian was part of a team approach to the draft, and he wasn't the guy with the most power in the room.

That doesn't diminish what Polian did...in fact, I think it actually enhances it. He was likely the point person for the draft, and managed to do a great job despite having less power than a typical GM. He should also get credit for getting the team to agree on Bruce, when Ralph wanted Flutie (if all of that is true).

I think there is a lesson in this for those who are hung up on an all-powerful GM for the Bills.

Who was drafted with the pick after Burroughs? :)

ethan horton. However Jerry Rice was two after Burroughs.

Also the guy drafted before Reed was named Buster Rhymes. :wallbash:

Edit: the two guys picked after hallestrae: Kevin Greene and Herschel Walker :blink:

Just another reminder to thank Jeff Littman for running Bill Polian out of town. Thanks Jeff I'm glad we have you instead of Bill Polian, what's he ever done anyway?

Who was Littman and is he still working at 1 Bills Dr.? Currently I blame Modrak as one of the consistent factors.

Who was Littman and is he still working at 1 Bills Dr.? Currently I blame Modrak as one of the consistent factors.

Littman is the CFO, the money man.

Imagine if that draft was 2008?

Fans would be outraged about having wasted 6 picks in the top 3 rounds.

The #1 overall pick only had 6 1/2 sacks! What a bum. Trade him to the Eagles for their 1st pick in '09.

We don't have a starting QB, why would we draft a backup QB in the 3rd. Well, at least we drafted a receiver in the 2nd, but who the hell in Andre Reed and why did we reach for him when we could have gotten him in the 12th round?

Why didn't make the playoffs, or even have a winning record! Dump Polian, the guy obviously does not know what he is doing.

Imagine if that draft was 2008?

Fans would be outraged about having wasted 6 picks in the top 3 rounds.

The #1 overall pick only had 6 1/2 sacks! What a bum. Trade him to the Eagles for their 1st pick in '09.

We don't have a starting QB, why would we draft a backup QB in the 3rd. Well, at least we drafted a receiver in the 2nd, but who the hell in Andre Reed and why did we reach for him when we could have gotten him in the 12th round?

Why didn't make the playoffs, or even have a winning record! Dump Polian, the guy obviously does not know what he is doing.

Don't forget the team only won 2 games, that season, too. Ahh the Internet.

We drafted a third round qb in 2007, who might just end up being a backup. He walks on water and can heal everyone with his touch (not including himself). Many a Bills fan melt when he speaks and his name is defended like no other. I think Frank Reich, would fit in just fine. :blink:

The flips side of the coin is that IF Trent Edwards pans out (and that is admittedly a big IF at this point), we may look back on the 2007 draft as one of the best ever: Lynch, Poz, Edwards.

The flips side of the coin is that IF Trent Edwards pans out (and that is admittedly a big IF at this point), we may look back on the 2007 draft as one of the best ever: Lynch, Poz, Edwards.

Edwards will have no chance of panning out if our offensive and defensive lines do not improve. Kevin Williams and Langston Walker are not starting caliber players if you want your team to go anywhere. Also, watching the replay of Indy's comeback vs Houston proves the fallacy of the QB.....Manning played well for only a few minutes and is a hero....the defense forced 2 turnovers, scoring on one of them in the final 8 minutes. We need better play from every position on the offensive and defensive lines and for the Walker apologists to take a hike